X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Seven Psychopaths - Not So Krazy

Last week I watched from my front porch as two homes 50 yards away were devoured by flame.
    Pumper trucks could not access the two hydrants on the same block with cars parked as usual in total defiance of unenforced posted regulation.

Earlier this eve, as NotCho Dawg & I made our ritualistic nighttime promenade we witnessed a common occurrence. Cars passed with nary the interruption or acknowledgement of the well displayed demand for stationary repose, proceeding at the most swift pace through the intersection. A place we always take pause to asses our odds of safe passage.

When we arrived home in tack thanks to due diligence & most cautious attention, the recent rental “Seven Psychopaths” was auditioned.

What I was expecting was cinematic ultra-violence as would be assumed with casting of Harrelson & Walken.
    No disappointment there.

What I was not expecting was the philosophical depth interwoven with the black humor that made satirical light of the most basic of emotion.
    The pain of existence is universal. The only comfort is being able to accept that each of us suffers. And like the unconditional love of a dawg, there is reason to the chaos that is life.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, Bill, it wasn't quite what I expected. But I have seen the odd black comedy that goes deep so I wasn't completely susprised. I rather enjoyed it, but doubt if I'd sit through a second viewing. One of those " once you've seen it, enough said " type of movies.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

okay, you got me curious. Added to Netflix queue.

On the note of the fire hydrants, I highly advocate for what they did in "Backdraft". smash out all the side windows on the offending car, and run the fire house straight through the car to the hydrant.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Hell, I'm sure any firetruck would be capable of pushing anything out of the way of a hydrant. Should be one of those unquestionably legal things to do.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Rented it. Thought it was pretty good. But George is right. Not enough for me to buy or even purposefully watch again.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Very funny film. I also agree, pretty much a rental.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I thought it was a thoroughly entertaining film Bill. I watched it earlier this evening. I enjoyed the irony that they took the piss out of all those shoot-em-up Hollywood movies I dislike so much while simultaneously feeding us a shoot-em-up Hollywood movie! Thank you for the recommendation.

Is it my imagination or do I see Tarantino's influence everywhere? Killer Joe is another example. That was another recommendation from this forum and I enjoyed that one too.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Double post.
                Scusi un attimo.
                Last edited by wkhanna; 11 March 2013, 10:20 Monday.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Hi Nigel,

I am V happy to hear you enjoyed the film.

There was just something about how the insanity of daily life was so accurately represented that struck me about this film.

Maybe due to recent personal experience I was simply looking for some sort of explanation & serendipitously happened to find relevancy with this film. I can certainly understand why others might not share my appreciation of it.

One other bias I have is with Christopher Walken. I have always adored him & his work. The performance here is pure magic in my estimation. He elevates the macabre to a seemly natural holiness.

'Killer Joe' is on my list, even more so now with your recommendation.

Ever since ‘Reservoir Dogs’ I have been an unabashed fan of Quinton.
                  Last edited by wkhanna; 11 March 2013, 10:21 Monday.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Watched this last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Walken was superb. I think there were enough bits that merit a second viewing to fully appreciate (plus I was tired and may not have caught everything). Won't pay full pop but if I see it for cheap I'll add it to the collection.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"