X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Man On Fire

Dredging up a bit of an oldie. I was at the local warehouse store and they had a 3 DVD set of Denzel Washington movies, Man On Fire, The Siege and Courage Under Fire for $8.99. I have had a passing interest in Man On Fire for some time so I decided to buy. I would not consider myself a big Denzel Washington fan, but I generally like him in movies.

I enjoyed this movie very much. Denzel Washington was convincing as a burned out CIA tough and Christopher Walken was good as the ex-coworker, semi-burnout, expatriate. The child was a bit over the top, I don’t necessarily think it was the child doing the acting, just what and how she was portrayed to play. A little to knowledgeable and deep maybe, in the latter half of the movie she establish what I felt like was more appropriate behavior for a child of that age. The mother and father did a good job in portraying some what self absorbed characters and the rest of the roles were fairly well done.

While not necessary a fan of the somewhat visually juggled and jiggled style of filming I thought it was moderated somewhat and did add a sense of impact and intensity at the appropriate times. Violence was quite prevalent, something that I’m generally not to keen on, but a lot of it was creative to say the least and a lot of it was the bad guys getting it, so for me that’s a little easier to take.

The local, generally Mexico City played well with its mix poverty versus money and sophistication, new versus old, modern city versus ancient city. Being that I live near the US – Mexico the story as a whole was quite plausible and something similar to what can be found reported in the news on occasion. Personal and professional corruption was also a key element in the movie. I’m sure many will be able to see some of the key story items in advance, some very well in advance (the most important for instance), but that didn’t bother me to much as there was plenty of action and some surprises filling in the space before they were fully realized in the movie.

In summary thought this was a pretty good and entertaining movie. Sound and picture quality was fine, acting was generally good or better, story was interesting. For $3.00 it was a heck of a good bargain. :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I totally agree with your assessment if this film. There was a short thread on it a few years back when it was first released but not enough to it to bother merging it with this one. Besides, your post is much more comprehensive.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• DSGCobra
      • Feb 2003

This is probably one of my all time favorite movies.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"