X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Original The Man Who Knew Too Much Criterion Blu-ray

I've been on a bit of a Criterion kick lately (not so good for the wallet--they're rarely bargain priced, but they are chock full of good stuff for fans of whatever films they release), combined with a Hitchcock kick. Recently acquired the original The Man Who Knew Too Much and watched it last night. Last time I'd seen this was on some really poor VHS public domain release about 20 years ago. This was like seeing it for the first time (almost literally, as the VHS was horrible). Peter Lorre's first English-language role and he's great. It's fascinating to see early Hitchcock, with flashes of the brilliance to come (he's my favourite director). I also quite enjoy watching old movies from the 30s and 40s. Must be the historian in me, but it always gives me a taste of a night out back then.

Anyway, for any fans of early Hitchcock, this is a must-see. For serious fans, I'd say a must own.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, I've actually watched this several times lately. I can't believe how beautiful Doris Day was. Such a stunner.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
      Yeah, I've actually watched this several times lately. I can't believe how beautiful Doris Day was. Such a stunner.
      That's the 1956 remake, not the 1934 original. (As far as I know, Hitchcock was the only director to do a remake of one of his own films that was not in a different language the first time around--though I could be wrong about this.). Visually, the remake is superior in just about every way. The original is a tighter story. Each is quite enjoyable.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Oh yeah, I forgot that he remade it. I haven't even seen the original. Now I'm going to have to go back and watch that!
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Also always reminds me of "The Man Who Knew Too Little". Simply awesome movie with Bill Murray.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"