Mr. & Mrs. Smith--Hitchcock makes a comedy?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Mr. & Mrs. Smith--Hitchcock makes a comedy?!

Pulled another classic off the shelf last night. Hitchcock's only "straight comedy" (no murder, no mayhem), this stars the woman who defined "screwball comedienne"--Carole Lombard. Also starring Robert Montgomery, the story, style and comical moments are straight from the late 30s/early 40s (1941 in this case). Lombard only made one other film before her tragic death in a plane crash in 1942, on a tour selling war-bonds (her death was devastating to her husband, Clark Gable and, in some ways, he never recovered from the loss). Cut down in her prime, Lombard was the embodiment of a type later popularized by Lucille Ball (who idolized Lombard).

One certainly needs an appreciation for comedy films of the period to enjoy this movie, so I would expect a wide variety of reactions from modern audiences. Not a guaranteed crowd pleaser today (it seems film noir is the most reliable genre of earlier cinema to maintain appeal, while comedy is often period-specific in its appeal), it should still be quite enjoyable for fans of movies from this period. Not a must see in Hitchcock's repertoire, by any means, but an enjoyable glimpse into a more innocent brand of comedic cinema. It also stands as proof that Hitchcock could make any kind of movie with skill (and that he could incorporate some of his signature themes into any genre).
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Never saw that one.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

If it hadn't come in the box set (Foreign Correspondent; Mr. & Mrs. Smith; Stage Fright; I, Confess; North by Northwest; The Wrong Man; Suspicion; Dial M for Murder; Strangers on a Train), I would likely never have come across it. It's not at the local video store for rent, I've never seen it on TV and it isn't one likely to get a theatrical screening (as some of his best known films have been getting--Vertigo; The Man Who Knew Too Much (1955); Psycho; Marnie; The Birds [I have all of those on Blu-ray]).

Probably not worth an intensive detour to find, but worth watching if anyone happens to come across it and likes that kind of film.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"