• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Hugo

[YOUTUBE]hR-kP-olcpM[/YOUTUBE]

Watched this the other night and I must say the visuals are lovely, the sound delightful and the acting charming and well executed.

Now I'm not sure if it's because I had such high expectations going in (given who made the film)... but I felt the story was a tad... lacking. Not bad mind you, just not the "WOW" like I think I was expecting. It hits all the right emotional buttons in a family friendly tone but it left me with feeling just "surface" interest and didn't seem to leave a lasting impression.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this if/when you see it and see if I'm alone here? Because as of right now I feel the "Masterpiece" tag may be a tad overblown :lol: It's certainly a visual feast with great audio and a pleasant enough family-friendly story but I somehow don't think it will land in the "Classic" or "Masterpiece" categories with say a Wizard of Oz.
    Jason
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Yeah, I agree with basically everything you said.
    It just didn't catch me at any point.
    It was just.. nice.

Then again, I kept hearing the "la la la" song from Kick Ass whenever I saw Chloe Grace. :B lol
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Totally agreed also, with all above. Just didn't really grab me. Thought it was okay.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I personally loved the film. I watched it with my daughter and she loved it too. A 'Masterpiece'?????.......No......That's pushing it.........But it's one of the best films of this genre that I've seen this year.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Didn't bother with this one, even though I have always been a huge Scorcese fan.

As a side note, I read that Scorcese will film all future movies in 3D. I sure hope the 2D ones will be availabe as I can't stand those %$#@%& glasses.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

I just watched this on blu and I thought it was okay, though going in I thought this was more of a kids movie. Turned out to have a little bit more to it than that. I figured my daughter would lose interest as the story was progressing but she really liked it said it even made her cry twice. I didn't get all that emotionally invested in the characters myself.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

OK! So I'm not alone here :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Movies are like that. It's like a code of sorts.......you either get it.......or you don't. Some people hated "Bridges of Madison County" because they couldn't get around the fact that the wife could cheat on her apparently dedicated and great husband. There's more than simple black and white in life and if you could see beyond that......the movie is very touching in many ways........So was Hugo.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

If anything I thought it could have used MORE "grey", not less Madmac.
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"