X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Company Men is a timely drama

One day you're on top, a cool office high in an executive tower, a Porsche to get you around, membership in a posh country club, and a beautiful wife and family to boot. Then, due to a downturn in the economy, your company downsizes and suddenly you find yourself unemployed. When this happens, it isn't easy, but some can survive a battered and bruised ego, get on with their lives and maybe even learn something along the way. Others, though, just can't make it, and basically this is the theme of The Company Men. It is written and directed by John Wells, the creator of ER, and he does a masterful job here, though it was perhaps edited too tightly in places. But the powerhouse cast of Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Chris Cooper, Kevin Costner ( in a small but well handled role ), Craig T Nelson and Maria Bello all shine throughout this drama, and even the lesser known cast members do their job well.

This is a timely film and though the focus is on the executive level of business, I'm sure even the blue collar worker can identify with these people, the Chris Cooper character in particular. In a way, the style of film reminded me of a couple of favorite " men at work" themed films from the past, such as The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit and Executive Suite. I truly liked The Company Men and plan to watch it again soon.

A big :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Just watched this. Quite enjoyed it (setting is close to where I grew up, so it added an extra layer of identification for me). Message is especially timely given the past few weeks.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
      Message is especially timely given the past few weeks.
      Yes, it certainly is, Paul. So, I take it you are a Boston boy ?
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

New Hampshire (but on the Mass. border--about 35/40 mins. north of Boston). It's been a long time since I've lived there but I can still pull up the "chowdah" accent pretty quickly and convincingly.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I work for a US-headquartered multi-national computer company that assesses its workforce on a quarterly basis. It's not an employment situation that I would recommend to everyone, except if you need to take 6 weeks off following surgery, which I did a few years ago, or if you need to recover from an earthquake, which everyone in my city has now experienced multiple times. In both of those situations my employer is a fantastic choice.

However, when your number comes up there's no mercy, which is why I can identify with The Company Men. I will definitely watch this film.

Nigel.

Comment

• David G
            • Jan 2005

Thanks for the write up - now definitely on my to-rent list.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David G
              Thanks for the write up - now definitely on my to-rent list.
              I'm sure you'll like it, David.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I'll add it to my cue George :T
                Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                  I'll add it to my cue George :T
                  Good stuff, Jason. I'm sure you'll like it.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"