X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

X-Men 3 Review

1am.. and I just finished watching all 3 X-Men movies.
    First of all, I must say that I got a sweet deal at Best Buy today. All 3 movies for $30! I picked it up at noon and it was actually the last box set. So great deal there.

I never saw X-Men 3 movie at the theaters. I started watching X-Men 1 at 5:00 pm today, then X-2, and then finished off the trilogy with X-Men 3: The Last Stand. Umm... it wasn't as good as I thought or was hoping it would be. There were some parts of the story that were really good and looked as if it was going somewhere, but some parts were just very weak and not very strong at all. No real new effects, but it still looked cool. Even though there was a lot of action, it was not really that exciting. It had its moments in action, but not like X-2. Most of the movie was about Wolverine, which could have worked nicely, but it started getting old. SQ wasn't all that great. No noticeable flaws, but I say it wasn't great because the surround wasn't really impressive. PQ looked good. Can't complain there. To me, X-2 is still better than all of them. Unless you just want to own it to have the complete set, I wouldn't actually recommend it as a buy.

Sorry, but it only gets :25: stars from me.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm not an X-Men ( guess they forgot the gals) fan. I own the first and that was enough for me.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive out here in the hinterlands. <insert thumb-twiddling smiley here>

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

Dts-es!!

I heard it "ROCKS" the system in "DTS-ES"
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

My personal ranking would be in numerical order 1, 2, 3. I was fairly disappointed with 3. Seemed to be a vehicle to just kill off all the main mutants. Come onnn.... I bought 1, and then when 2 came out I re-bought the 2-movie set including X-men 1.5. I don't even know that I'll buy 3. Maybe...
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I watched it the other night, I wouldnt say it was a "bad" movie.
            I enjoyed it.
            B&W

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

It wasn't a bad movie, but it was less than I expected or hoped for, you know?

Comment

• DelRay
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by june
                I heard it "ROCKS" the system in "DTS-ES"
                I just got done watching it. The bass in DTS-ES 6.1 is awesome. My subs haven't had that much exercise in awhile. Shook the whole house. I thought that the movie wasn't too bad either.

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Yeah, I was whelmed as well. Not dorry I bought it. Not sorry I only bought the regular version.

BB

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

I found it entertaining, but I had to buy it to complete the set. I couldn't let myself rent if for $5.00, and then having to buy it anyway ($14.00). I'll just watch the action scenes again.

I started watching in DTS, but switched, I thought that the DD IIx track was better, IMHO. I'll have to see how it sounds in DTS with the action scenes.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• saurabh
                      • Feb 2005

Saw it, it is an okay movie as compared to previous releases. btw, what was it in the main menu about choosing between two different menus to start.

Was it for different ending or what ???
                      Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by saurabh
                        Saw it, it is an okay movie as compared to previous releases. btw, what was it in the main menu about choosing between two different menus to start.

Was it for different ending or what ???
                        I wondered that very thing myself.

BTW, don't forget to watch the credits for the surprise ending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Brandon B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2001

I think the menu thing was just a little feature to say "which side are you rooting for", no more.

Comment

• saurabh
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Brandon B
                            I think the menu thing was just a little feature to say "which side are you rooting for", no more.
                            I checked using DVD navigation, the menu is asking you to choose "the gang" and then it changes the colour of the underlying menus also accordingly, thats it.

I already knew about the end part...he he he
                            Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Arghhh. Still waiting. . . . :banghead:

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Not argh-worthy David. Save your forehead.

Comment

• Vinny
                                  • Mar 2006

Finally got a chance to watch it last night. Had to turn the volume all the way down because the bass was massive!
                                  It wasted a lot of detail which could go further on the main character and spend less time on the minor guys......... they turned it the other way around and the big guys are like minor supporting characters
                                  Almost nothing happened on the Archangel, Hank and Leech.... which was a waste for getting these characters in
                                  Ian McKellen(Magneto) was still playing decent in his role, some action looked kind of weird though(or say.... not immersed/weak visual effect chain).
                                  For some reason Hugh Jackman(Wolverine) still reminds me of Russel Crowe :E
                                  Anna(Rogue) looks more beautiful in this movie than other 2 though :B
                                  Pioneer KRP-500M
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Parasound 5125
                                  Oppo BDP-83
                                  Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                                  SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Finally.

This was the weakest of the three movies in the series. It was still worthwhile, but it didn't have the same weight/impact of the other two. It never did draw me into the story like the earlier efforts. It was more of a feeling of looking at a screen with a movie showing on it. Reducing Mystique, Scott and the Professor to secondary roles that were ended early in the film really took me out of the moment. Overall, it felt like a snuff film for my favorite characters. I did like the effects around Phoenix' character, what with the rocks and debris at the lake still floating in mid-air. That was a nice, eerie touch.

I really can't comment in detail on the PQ and SQ as I'm watching watching with a reduced-quality set-up at the moment. All I can say is that it appears to be commensurate with the first two films.

I do hope that you watch all the way through the end of the credits. . . .

I can't really rate it on anything other than the film itself and on that it's about a :25: out of :5:.

Comment

• Sithlord
                                      • Aug 2004

I just watched this last night and noticed something strange. The fight between Jugernaut and Wolverine is different than what I saw at the movies. The part thats missing is now in the deleted scenes section but I saw it at the theatres. The part thats missing in the dvd is when Wolverine users Storm to electicute Juggernaut that part is now a deleted scene. I didn't care much for it anyway as I thought Wolverine beating the Juggernaut wasn't plausable at all. He was out of his league and Colossos should have fought him thats my opinion anyway. Pretty much every deleted scene that I watched should have stayed in the movie and it was all finished footage which means that theres a extended version coming out for sure or so I have read on the net. As for the transfer the region 4 was brilliant in both SQ and PQ and is a true demo disc imo.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Sithlord
                                        I just watched this last night and noticed something strange. The fight between Jugernaut and Wolverine is different than what I saw at the movies. The part thats missing is now in the deleted scenes section but I saw it at the theatres. The part thats missing in the dvd is when Wolverine users Storm to electicute Juggernaut that part is now a deleted scene. I didn't care much for it anyway as I thought Wolverine beating the Juggernaut wasn't plausable at all. He was out of his league and Colossos should have fought him thats my opinion anyway.
                                        I think the messed up Juggernaut big time. He is not a mutant anyway. No mention that he is Xavier's step brother. It usually takes the entire x-man team to subdue him. I watched the electrocution scene on the deleted scenes and am glad they deleted it. Overall not a bad movie. The score was very good and it helped to make the scene with Xavier dying more heartfelt.
                                        X-men 2 is the best in the trilogy imho.
                                        Steel

Comment

• Sithlord
                                          • Aug 2004

Likecoiledsteel I totally agree. I used to collect comics especially X-men titles and they really did miss a great opportunity with the Juggernaut. I mean his first line "I need to pee" I mean really. You are correct that he isn't a mutant as he obtained his power from a crystal and he can created a force field around him as well so he makes for a very tough opponent. Probably why they toned him down so he couldn't take the X-men down by himself. If it was me writing an X-men movie I wouldn't change a thing in regards to the characters powers just defeats the purpose of having them in the movie. It's like having the Hulk not get stronger as he gets angrier that would be just stupid. X-men 2 is definalty the best of the 3 and now I wish Byran Singer directed it or for me my choice would be someone like James Cameron as he doesn't take shortcuts and stays true to the story in this case the comic. One thing that bugged me when I watched the opening action scenes was that Colossos changed into metal form then went back to human while still in combat??? You would think that it would be best to stay in metal form until the danger had pasted and not make yourself vulnerable to injury. Theres another wasted opportunity to really make a character memorable not to mention that he should have been Russian not American whats with that? Anyways I could go on but too late now it's done so hopefully we will get another movie this time with a director that will stay true to the dream that is X-men.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Was he not Russian? Thought I remembered him having an accent in II.

BB

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Wow, you guys are WAAAYYYYY beyond my knowledge of the group, mostly just based on the movies.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                                Was he not Russian? Thought I remembered him having an accent in II.

BB
                                                Nope, regular American voice acting. Remember the line ".. I can help" and then Wolverine said "..help them". (I've seen X-2 way too much times! lol) The only X-Men with a non-US accent in part 2 or 3 was Nightcrawler.

You know... we're going to become nerds if we keep talking about the what they did right and wrong in the movie of a comic book. lol :B

Comment

• Sithlord
                                                  • Aug 2004

Audioqueso I think it's too late for that :assimilate: .

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Audioqueso I think it's too late for that :assimilate: .

No no, the correct quote from a sithlord is "it is too late for me, my son".

BB

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                                      • May 2004

Likecoiledsteel I totally agree. I used to collect comics especially X-men titles and they really did miss a great opportunity with the Juggernaut. I mean his first line "I need to pee" I mean really. You are correct that he isn't a mutant as he obtained his power from a crystal and he can created a force field around him as well so he makes for a very tough opponent. Probably why they toned him down so he couldn't take the X-men down by himself. If it was me writing an X-men movie I wouldn't change a thing in regards to the characters powers just defeats the purpose of having them in the movie. It's like having the Hulk not get stronger as he gets angrier that would be just stupid. X-men 2 is definalty the best of the 3 and now I wish Byran Singer directed it or for me my choice would be someone like James Cameron as he doesn't take shortcuts and stays true to the story in this case the comic. One thing that bugged me when I watched the opening action scenes was that Colossos changed into metal form then went back to human while still in combat??? You would think that it would be best to stay in metal form until the danger had pasted and not make yourself vulnerable to injury. Theres another wasted opportunity to really make a character memorable not to mention that he should have been Russian not American whats with that? Anyways I could go on but too late now it's done so hopefully we will get another movie this time with a director that will stay true to the dream that is X-men.
                                                      Hi Sith,
                                                      I had another discussion like this at another forum, they called me a nerd. I corrected them and said that I prefer to be called an Audio Geek. Class A. I am glad they did not CGI the Jugg man though. That would have really sucked.
                                                      Steel

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Well, X-Men 3 is rated as one of the top Blu-Ray discs released so far, for both picture quality and sound quality, so I ended up buying it on BD. I was HIGHLY impressed. Very much enjoyed the PQ and SQ. Watching it again, I've found that after the first 10 minutes of the film, the movie got better. Still the weakest of the trilogy, in my opinion. Too bad the movie itself doesn't live up to the BD quality.

X-Men 4 is hinted at in the extra features. And did anybody watch the scene placed at the end of the final credits? There's more info about it on the director's commentary, too. Makes X4 a bit more likely.
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

Yeah, that little teaser got my hopes up. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

I read elsewhere that Magneto and Wolverine spin-off movies are happening before they even consider X4.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"