X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Sincerest form of flattery

Making the rounds, a video showing a Thai "adaptation" of Beauty and the Beast.

Seems familiar somehow.

The latest movie and television news, reviews, film trailers, exclusive interviews, and opinions - since 2005.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I've never seen Disney's Beauty And The Beast so I have no point of reference.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That's just sad. :thud:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

If Gus Van Sant could do a nearly shot-by-shot remake of "Psycho" without getting sued by the Hitchcock estate, why not a Thai tribute to Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"? If it truly is a line-by-line copy, watching it may help me toward reaching one of my goals of learning to understand and speak the Thai language. (Of course, at some point I will need to watch the Disney original to make that strategy work.) :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Now that's a good point Burke. Maybe the folks at Rosetta Stone could incorporate movies from the target language into their teaching sets. Beauty & The Beast in Pashtu anyone? :rofl:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            If Gus Van Sant could do a nearly shot-by-shot remake of "Psycho" without getting sued by the Hitchcock estate, why not a Thai tribute to Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"?
            Well, I imagine Gus licensed the property in some fashion, since I would guess from the Hitchcock estate's tendency to sue over things (Disturbia) they feel infringe on their IP, they would have gone after him otherwise.

In spite of my place of employment though, I am pretty down on the current state of IP protection. Beauty and the Beast is a public domain story, and while the Thai folks here have pretty plainly just followed Disney's adaptation, it's not like it's a direct substitute, or will damage the Disney product in the market place in any significant fashion.

Posting it here was basically for the humor value. They've done most of the other current major Disney films as well.

Sleeping Laura
            Princess Mermaid
            Leoga (lion king, and I am pretty sure they used the Mustafa CGI model for Beast rather than creating a new one, just added horns)
            The Magic Slipper (Cinderella)

and several others I can't remember how they renamed.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"