X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

Lord of the Rings bluray...

I was reading in Video Business that Warner will be releasing the Lord of the Rings trilogy bluray on April 16. "The nine disc set [$99.98] will include digital copies of each film. The extended versions of the films will debut on bluray at a later date".

"The extended versions will be released at a later date"!!!??? The person responsible for this release must be a mental midget. Why? It begs the question; what village idiot in his right mind would spend good money for this set knowing that the extended verions will follow at a later date? Does Warner think that people will fall for this BS? I'm a capatalist but this is pure corporate greed...
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Looks like I won't be buying it either.I want the full meal deal or nothing.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Believe it or not, some people prefer the theatrical cuts (I like the EEs well enough--I have all of them on DVD--but sometimes I wish I had the theatrical cuts on hand as well).

Also, though this is a vague recollection so I won't swear to it, I recall reading that Jackson et al. are planning a series of new, extensive extras in HD, in addition to the existing material and such things take time. Not everyone, given the gripes I've read about the Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind and Casablanca deluxe packages, wants "the full meal". Some just want the main dish.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
        • Sep 2009

If you're going to watch an epic, you might as well watch the whole thing. This upsets me, I really wanted to buy it, too. I still remember when it was supposed to come out this holiday season. I see that didn't go too well. :/

I will be patient.
        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'll wait for the EE set. I won't be going through the gazillion hours of extras, but I do like the longer versions.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

The extras are allegedly all on DVD discs. Fail.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

You know... at this point in time, there is NO reason that the major movies like LOTR, Star Wars, etc, should not be on BD.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• kpodolski
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                Believe it or not, some people prefer the theatrical cuts
                Not.

And apparently I'm not alone in my position...

Comment

• littlesaint
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                  Believe it or not, some people prefer the theatrical cuts (I like the EEs well enough--I have all of them on DVD--but sometimes I wish I had the theatrical cuts on hand as well).

Also, though this is a vague recollection so I won't swear to it, I recall reading that Jackson et al. are planning a series of new, extensive extras in HD, in addition to the existing material and such things take time. Not everyone, given the gripes I've read about the Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind and Casablanca deluxe packages, wants "the full meal". Some just want the main dish.
                  Very true. I like the EE cuts for the added material, but for many they are just too long, and unless you really know the story, you don't miss anything with the theatrical cuts. Most people who buy these are not going to also buy the EE anyway, so it's not really greed, it's just good business.
                  Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

The ideal set would include both versions.

I happen to prefer the Extended Edition for "Fellowship of the Rings", since the added material makes a more coherent story and doesn't bog down the pace. I find it a tossup between EE and theatrical cut for "The Two Towers" -- the pace gets slowed down by the extra material, but the added scenes do help explain characters and adds continuity to some plot elements. I definitely prefer the theatrical cut for "Return of the King". The added material still leaves out a lot from the book (scouring the shire would have added at least another hour), while seriously dragging down an already lengthy narrative without (IMO) really making a satisfying (i.e., necessary) contribution to character development or understanding of the underlying themes. But I am glad to have both editions of all three on DVD for completeness.

So for me, neither a theatrical cut only set nor an extended edition only set would be sufficient. It would be great to have both sets in one box.

And although there was a time I would have treasured having all the extras, (having bought numerous special edition box set laser discs at prices no one would consider for the even the very best of BluRay today) those days are past. I've bought the "movie only" BluRay editions of "Gone With The Wind" and "Wizard of Oz" and would gladly do so (with appropriate reduction in price) for a movies only edition of Lord of the Rings -- especially if it were to include both EE and theatrical cuts for all three (for completeness).

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kpodolski
                      Not.

And apparently I'm not alone in my position...

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pic...1060970&sr=1-1
                      Holding a perceived majority position does NOT make the minority position untrue. That's not how it works.

Burke has summed up the three EE vs. theatrical films quite well (well enough that I don't feel the need to repeat it as it is close to mine). I received the first EE set as a gift and so I bought the other two to go along with it. They don't offer me the theatrical cuts, though, so I'm not entirely satisfied with them. As for being released separately, no one is forcing anyone to buy the theatrical cuts on BD. I won't jump at this set right away, as I too would like both cuts to be available in the same set--but if the price comes down enough, I'll grab them and worry about the EE sets later (I have plenty of family and friends to whom I give my earlier purchases whenever I upgrade, so I'm not worried too much about it).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

I have several different movies wih both EE and theatrical versions and to be honest, I usually watch the theatrical version the second time around and stick with it thereafter unless the EE offers something valid to move the story along or offer better character development. Burke's example is a good one regarding the LOTR films.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

These films seemed perfect for using seamless branching... it's a shame they have to screw us (the crowd willing to double dip) just because they know they can. I will not be able to resist picking up the bluray, whether it's the theatrical or extended edition.
                          -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

It's here. BD's come out on Tuesday.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• kpodolski
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                              It's here. BD's come out on Tuesday.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pic...0436327&sr=8-1

Don't you just love the 1 1/2 star rating. I guess the "perceived majority" will be passing on this set to wait for the extended version...including me! Again, corporate greed...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2001

I'm passing period. I'm quite happy with the upconverted dvd transfers. Somewhere down the road, if the Blu versions end up in the bargain bin, I may fork out the dough. There are better things to spend my money on at the moment.
                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I'm holding out for the "complete" edition.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kpodolski
                                    Don't you just love the 1 1/2 star rating. I guess the "perceived majority" will be passing on this set to wait for the extended version...including me! Again, corporate greed...
                                    The actual majority, though, (the ones who bought many multiples more of the Theatrical Cut than the EEs the first time around) will be buying this in large numbers. So I doubt Warner Bros. is at all worried about the minority of people who will give it a pass.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                      • Sep 2009

I'm holding out for the "complete" edition.
                                      Same here. =(
                                      -Josh

Comment

• Industrial
                                        • Mar 2009

I just find it funny that the LOTR movies are already so "old" that they aren't already on Blueray.

Comment

• HedgeHog
                                          • Dec 2008

There was a system SNAFU on Future Shop where the BD was selling @ CAD$18.99. So lots of ppl jumped on it and FS is honouring their goof-up. While I'm not a huge fan, 20 bux for 6 BD discs can't hurt. Let's see if the transfer is as bad as some review states.
                                          Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                                          Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                                          B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                                          Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                                          Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Wow, yeah, I would have done that for $20.

Industrial, I hear what you're sayin'. Same thing with Star Wars--NO reason we shouldn't have them on BD by now.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                              • Sep 2009

Wow, yeah, I would have done that for $20.

Industrial, I hear what you're sayin'. Same thing with Star Wars--NO reason we shouldn't have them on BD by now.
                                              Just like the music industry, all they care about these days in the mainstream market is green.

****ing shame.
                                              -Josh

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

I noticed in Walmart this morning they had the Blu-ray box sets for $59 and some kind of an anti-theft alarm jigger wrapped around each box. Seems like a good Canadian price, but like I said, I'm quite happy with the PQ on my dvds.
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Oct 2007

I watched about half of Fellowship of the Ring last night, definitely was not blown away by the PQ, but it was better than the DVDs. Was it a $60 difference? Eh... nah, not in my opinion. Though I do like having the theatrical versions and I like how the entire movie is on one disc.
                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Chuck, that's consistent with some reviews I've seen. Fellowship especially is not very impressive although it comes across as better than the DVD-version. Two Towers and Return both look better than it. I'm still sticking to my guns on waiting for the extended versions (and hoping for a better transfer).

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"