X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings: Extended Edition

If you live in one of the few North American cities that has a commercial theater showing the Extended Edition of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings prior to the release of Return of the King, and haven't already gone to see it, I strongly advise you to cancel all other appointments and go! (one day left -- then they start screening The Two Towers Extended Edition until it is time foir Return of the King).

I felt before, having seen this edition on DVD, that this version was the one that should have been released to begin with. From a fan's viewpoint, watching it on the really big screen in a theater with a fine sound system was just about movie going perfection. I'm really glad I made the effort to go see it. While I enjoyed the "director's cut" of The Two Towers, the added material didn't give it the major advance from "great" to "greater" that the Fellowship of the Rings benefited from. (But I'll still go see it on the big screen too.) :>)

Two observations:

1) I really need to replace my home HT projector (having seen an "almost perfect" film presentation, I see more vividly how my five year old projector with its dim bulb and slowly disintegrating polarizing panel is falling further and further behind.) And,

2) now having seen it properly presented, and observing the audience's reaction, I have a strong feeling the Academy would have warmed up to this one more than it did the "theatrical cut" (and even that one got 13 nominations). I hope Peter Jackson hasn't held back so many of the goodies (to be put in an Extended Edition DVD later next year) from Return pf the King that it misses the recogniton the whole trilogy deserves (a Best Picture statuette, plus one for him as Best Director).

GO SEE IT.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
    1) I really need to replace my home HT projector (having seen an "almost perfect" film presentation, I see more vividly how my five year old projector with its dim bulb and slowly disintegrating polarizing panel is falling further and further behind.)Burke
    Marantz has announced a really nice 3 chip DLP with 3000:1 and 1200 lumens. Looks really great - only 100 lbs and $32K.

BB

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Thanks for the heads up on that projector. When one with those specs goes for about $3,200 instead of $32,000, it'll be on my short list. (It'll be even more attractive when they get the weight down to 10 lbs instead of 100 lbs.) :>) That isn't as far fetched as it might seem at first -- just look back at how prices have dropped as performance has increased in the projector market the past three years or so (in the whole video arena, for that matter).

Meanwhile, don't miss the chance to see the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions if they are playing at a theater within a day's drive of where you live. http://www.lordoftherings.net/trilogy/

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"