Anybody want the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-Ray?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Anybody want the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-Ray?

Looks like it's finally coming to BD, now.

Thing is, it's ONLY the theatrical versions. Should be no reason that they can't include the extended versions, too, so that version will probably come later to make more money.

I'm not seeing exactly when it will be released yet, either.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

I agree....I will wait as well.I always prefer the extended editions of movies.The Lord of the Rings is much better extended.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Shame on New Line. Well, I'm another one who will wait out this recent blatant act of greed by the studios.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

You expected anything less?

I thought I had read the extended releases would be used for promoting The Hobbit whenever its scheduled for theatrical release.
        Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I want LOTR on Blu ... but I will wait for the extended version.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by littlesaint
            You expected anything less?
            No, not really. Guess that's showbiz, eh ? :roll:
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Sheesh. I'll wait for the extended, too. What a bunch of :loser:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

I'll probably Netflix these to see the transfer. If it blows me away I might pick it up and double dip when the extended release comes out. I give my seconds to the wife to trade for CDs at the local exchange place. The DVD transfer is exceptional and scales well, so I may just wait regardless.
                Santino

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

There are people who prefer the theatrical cuts--I'm sure they are looking forward to this release. And scuttlebutt has it that it will be at least three YEARS before the EE is available--I'm sure a significant number of people won't hold out that long. I think there should be a release with branching to satisfy everyone, but if they plan to make any changes (I've read that Jackson wants to re-CGI Gollum in the first EE to make him look more like the other two films, for example) or add significant new bonus material to the EE, it would make the titles wait quite a while longer. Moreover, these are titles that could easily push more people who are on the fence about BD into getting a player--and more players means more support for the format which means more tentpole releases.

I understand the frustrations, but there are business reasons beyond simple greed that are applicable here.

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

I'm sure some do like the original, but the additions and extended scenes aren't there just to be there. They add much more depth to the plot lines, character development, and locations. Going back and watching the theatrical releases after seeing the extended additions shows just how much Jackson had to compromise to get these edited down to acceptable theater times. For anyone who was well-versed in the novels, it wasn't hard to fill in the gaps, but for anyone who is not, they were really missing a lot of development.
                    Santino

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Yeah, my extended edition DVD's are plenty good for me, until the uber-BD set arrives. I'm still trying to make my way through the GARGANTUAN amount of extra material on those.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by littlesaint
                        I'm sure some do like the original, but the additions and extended scenes aren't there just to be there. They add much more depth to the plot lines, character development, and locations. Going back and watching the theatrical releases after seeing the extended additions shows just how much Jackson had to compromise to get these edited down to acceptable theater times. For anyone who was well-versed in the novels, it wasn't hard to fill in the gaps, but for anyone who is not, they were really missing a lot of development.
                        I have the EE and have viewed them several times, so I concur about their added richness (though the final film could have been a little less "extended" in my opinion). But the theatrical versions are legitimate in their own right and deserve a release as well (in fact, I'm actually tempted to go with them as I've only seen the theatrical releases in the cinema once each and would like to revisit them--and they can be gifts, like my upgrades of SD DVDs to BD, if the EE edition is branched when it comes out in a few years).

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Yeah, my extended edition DVD's are plenty good for me, until the uber-BD set arrives. I'm still trying to make my way through the GARGANTUAN amount of extra material on those.
                          Ditto, Chris.

And, I agree with Ovation's sentiment, especially on the mind-numbing length of the farewells in Return Of The King. :thud:

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                            Ditto, Chris.

And, I agree with Ovation's sentiment, especially on the mind-numbing length of the farewells in Return Of The King. :thud:
                            +1 on Return Of The King and those ridiculous farewells. As for my dvds, yeah they look pretty darn good upconverted on my BenQ so I can wait.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

I will be one of those who can't wait and gets them both. I think when I do marathon runs (have done a EE marathon ) it will be nice to go with the theatrical version.

Slightly off topic but clicking that Amazon link shows the Star Trek 6 movie set is coming out May 12th and for $80?!?? Seems like a pretty awesome deal to me for blu-rays.
                              -Chuck

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Chuck, you might want to wait and get the uber-set with all seven (counting this summer's release of Star Trek). Will it ever end? (sighs) :

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"