X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition BluRay

With great anticipation, I purchased the Extended Edition BluRay collection of the Lord of the Rings (LOTR) trilogy after work yesterday, and "cancelled all appointments" to start giving the disks a spin. I really wanted this to be an exciting cinematic experience, since 1) I really like these movies, and 2) the advance buzz was very favorable.

When the first screen came up, the selection panel for "Play", "Scenes", Languages", "Special Features", with a shot of the interior of Bag End (Bilbo Baggins's home in the Shire, not the subwoofer), I thought "wow, this is going to be incredible" -- rich colors, perfect detail, almost 3D visual impact. Unfortunately, that was the only visually exciting view of the evening. As the main feature rolled along, the colors appears washed out in areas not in shadow, the contrast was often way overblown, and all in all it looked like a bad attempt at up-rezzing from a DVD, not a carefully crafted hi-def remaster from the original film elements. I jumped around to various scenes with various lighting schemes and felt the same way about all of them. My projector is set on Eco-mode, so it is not pushing the limits of light output. My room was dark, so it was not stray light washing out the screen. So far, these disks are a major visual let down.

The sound, however, is everything you could want it to be and more. Finely detailed when appropriate, bombastic when needed, voices tracking the movement of the characters on screen instead of just spewing from center, and on and on. The sound is about as close to perfect as I've ever heard on a movie sound track. So it looks like C- for video and A+ for sound.

I wonder if I got a bad copy or whether this is really the "artist's vision" for the video? I've read elsewhere about the alleged "greenish blue tint" on Fellowship of the Ring, and that is not what I observed as the problem with the transfer. This weekend I'm going to compare this edition with the DVD set (which I recall finding to be delightful on multiple viewings, but that was a few years ago by now) and see if my first (negative) impression of the BluRays is a lasting one.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Wow, sorry to hear that, Burke. I have always been really pleased with my dvd versions of this set, and considering that my newest blu-ray player the Panny BD85 does such a great job on upconversion, I think I'll just stick with that.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'm trying to source the EE of LOTR BD for a good price. Wal-Mart never got them shipped in this week, and even if they did, want $20 over Amazon's price. I'm sure I'll get them this week, one way or another, and we'll get to see them. Looking forward to it.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Check out this review at the Blu-Ray website. Scroll down to the heading "The Color Change: An Unexpected Journey" and read. I think I'll hold on to my EE DVD's for now.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Interesting. I ended up ordering from Amazon. Will see hoe they turn out.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Interesting on the colouring...I'll have to give it a look!
            Jason

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Is it just me, or are there scenes on the BD movies that aren't even in the DVD EE editions? There's some scenes I'm not remembering.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Isaac
                • Jan 2006

This is how Lord of the Rings should have ended.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Good one. Yeah, I always Wondered why the eagles took them out, but not in.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                    • Sep 2010

I just got the box set and watched part 1 of the fellowship (I no longer have the DVDs so I can't compare them) and did not find it unpleasant. The LFE is insane... Sauron's explosion and Gandalf speaking the dark tongue of Mordor really makes things rattle.

I'll ask a friend for the DVDs to compare the image.
                    Ivan.
                    My Statement monitors

Comment

• kpodolski
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Silver1omo
                      I just got the box set and watched part 1 of the fellowship (I no longer have the DVDs so I can't compare them) and did not find it unpleasant.

Agreed.

I finally bought the EE box set and The Fellowship looks great on my TV (Sony KDL52EX700). I set up my TV using the recommendation from this site and I see absolutely no "green tint" what-so-ever. And I was purposely looking for it!

See the professional calibration settings and test results from our review of the Sony KDL-52EX700 LED TV.
                      The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"