• Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Watchmen

I just finished watching this movie.
    It was long! 3 hours long.
    I really did not know anything about the graphic novel, but wow... this was a really good story. Not your typical sci-fi or action movie, but this was really good! I didn't think I would have liked it this much. I was thinking about just downloading it first before I buy, but I went ahead and bought the blu-ray, I'm glad I did, and now I want to watch it again (it's a hard movie to grasp at first).
    Definitely recommended. And the SQ is awesome!
    Can say much else. GREAT MOVIE!!!
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

I also watched this movie last night. I agree. I knew very little about the story line and graphic novel. I bought it because it was only $20 on Amazon and I had a $25 coupon (also got The Cure: Trilogy).

I was not able to play the movie at a level I would have liked (Wife and kids were in bed) but from what I saw, there were quite a few parts that should sound great at higher levels.

I second the thought of it being a GREAT MOVIE!!!
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Didn't get a chance to see it in the theater. Debating whether to do a blind BD purchase, or see it from Netflix first.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I watched it last night. I have the original 12 issues of Watchmen from the 80s (read them many times). I rented it to see if I would like it (reports from long-time fans have been split on the issue). I'll be buying it. Just don't know if I'll get the current set or wait for the ultimate one in December.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Ah... didnt know there was going to be an ultimate set. Thanks for the tip! Figures... happens a lot, even if it's not always.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
            I watched it last night. I have the original 12 issues of Watchmen from the 80s (read them many times). I rented it to see if I would like it (reports from long-time fans have been split on the issue). I'll be buying it. Just don't know if I'll get the current set or wait for the ultimate one in December.
            What is the Ultimate Edition adding?
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

I don't know all the details, but it will include the "Under the Hood" bits from the "Black Freighter" BD and will integrate the Black Freighter elements into the film, just as it was interwoven into the original comic. It is unclear if the theatrical cut (currently available on BD from the UK or as the SD "digital copy" for your computer) will be included or if the current director's cut will be available via branching (thus giving an option to separate out the Black Freighter stuff).

If the director's cut can be branched out of the ultimate edition, I will likely get that (as I'm interested in the "Under the Hood" stuff). It will also have additional extras (though I would not put it past the studio to drop some of the current ones to incite people to buy both). However, as the Black Freighter stuff was, to me, the least interesting element of the comic, I would prefer to be able to skip it (I'll watch it once--more if I think the integration is well done--but I doubt I'll prefer it to the director's cut). If I cannot skip the Black Freighter stuff, I'll go with the current edition.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                Didn't get a chance to see it in the theater. Debating whether to do a blind BD purchase, or see it from Netflix first.
                Me either, Chris. I finally jumped and am waiting on my copy to arrive. (pacing floor, looking at watch...)

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Anyone seen a wayward BD of Watchmen running around out there? Mine's still AWOL.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

IMHO it would be worth netflixing it first.
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I thought it was quite good, definitely different then your average super hero movie. It was a purchase for me.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, I'm still making my way through a gift card that came with my projector for 52 free movie rentals from Blockbuster, so I rented it last night on BD. Debating whether to say I actually liked it or not. Good premise, I like that it wasn't just all spandex and cheesy villans trying to steal old ladies' purses. Deep, dark. But the storyline just didn't flow, stay completely engaging, or remain entirely compelling.

Really liked Rorschacht, though. What a great character, even when unmasked. I wonder what his face cloth supposedly was made of, to change like that?

All in all, I think I'll give it :25: out of :5, and not going to be a purchase for me. Glad I rented.

(oh, and was it just me, or did anyone else keep thinking that Night Owl's actor looks like Richard Dreyfuss, and Rorschacht's actor looks like Donny Bonaducci?)
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

(oh, and was it just me, or did anyone else keep thinking that Night Owl's actor looks like Richard Dreyfuss, and Rorschacht's actor looks like Donny Bonaducci?)
                          Didn't think of it at the time, but now that you mention it (except for Night Owl's height)...

As for Rorschach, if you watch any of the extras with the actor out of makeup, he's not nearly as much of a look-alike. But as prepped for the movie, there is a strong resemblance.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                            • Jan 2006

Rorschach is played by the kid from the original bad news bears with Walter Matthau! Just watched it again last night director's cut BD. Better than the first time I watched it I was a little on the fence on whether to get this one or not, I knew it would look stunning on BD just wasn't sure if I would watch it much but I'm glad I picked it up.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"