X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Watchmen

Saw this tonight. Really enjoyed it. Very true to Moore's original story, tho' nowhere near as good and I can tell you that the movie won't be to everybody's taste. Will tell more tomorrow as it's waaay past my bedtime!
    Last edited by Alloroc; 07 March 2009, 06:33 Saturday.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yes, I'm looking forward to this one!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bmac
      • Aug 2006

Really good

I watched it last night, and thought it was good. I've read the graphic novel, and I was impressed. It felt fast, but there was a lot of information to cover. I'm trying not to give anything away. I understand there are three versions of the movie, and the way it's edited you can tell. I can't wait for the DVD/Blu Ray.
      Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

OK. Watchmen. For those that aren't in the know at this stage, Watchmen is one of the best comic book series ever. Written by Alan Moore (V for Vendetta), it's theme is what would it be like if costumed hereos exisited in a real and credible world. The world in question is dystopian alternate reality set in 1980's USA where Nixon has successfully won his 3rd term as President and tensions between the USA and USSR are at boiling point. After WWII a number of costumed hereos emerged in the 1940s and 1960s, helping the United States to win the Vietnam War. However, with a general population tired of their vigilantism, they were retired or outlawed. The story focuses on our protagonists as they come out of retirment to investigate the murder of one of their own and ultimatly uncover a plot that could destroy the planet.

As I mentioned, the movie pretty much follows the comic series faithfully. Even the script seems word for word.

The movie is violent and at times disturbing but it moves along at pace with lots of action.

I'm not so sure how people coming to the stroy for the first time will react to this movie, but I'm looking forward to reading other's comments.

V.
        Vincent.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Just saw this a little while ago. I hate to go against the grain but I really didn't enjoy this movie all that much. I knew nothing of the comic or back story so maybe that's why, I'm not sure. I thought it was way too long and jumped around the timeline too much for my taste. The character development took forever it seemed. The sex scenes and male nudity all the time was a little too 'in your face' and unnecessary IMHO. Seems more done out of the need to be artsy than necessary to tell the story.

I will say the action in it was pretty good, definitely 300-esque.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Chuck, I get what you're saying but all I can tell you is that it is a faithful representaion of the comic book series. Condensed for sure, but it really captured it's spirit. And as a fan, I'm so glad they didn't turn it into some twee PG rated nonsense.
            Vincent.

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

The sex scenes & nudity weren't a huge deal to me, just worth noting. I still came out of it feeling like they tried to cram too much back story in, which is kinda crazy considering how long it is. Perhaps a 2 parter might have been a better idea I dunno. Or maybe that was the point, that this is a setup for a prequel.
              -Chuck

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I thought it kicked some serious tail, although my girlfriend was a bit put-off by some of the violent scenes.

I liked the jumping around, as that retained some of the comic quality.

I'll be picking it up on Blu-Ray when it's released!
                ~Nick

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

I have wanted to see this since I saw the first commercial when the guy says "The world will look up and shout "Save us!"... And I'll whisper "No." ". I was thinking, I have to see this movie.
                  -Joe

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by joetama
                    I have wanted to see this since I saw the first commercial when the guy says "The world will look up and shout "Save us!"... And I'll whisper "No." ". I was thinking, I have to see this movie.
                    That's funny. That's what caught my attention as well. ha ha
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

We went and saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it even though I wasn't familiar with the comic book beforehand. I do agree that the amount of nudity was a bit much, I didn't mind ogling Silk Spectre II, but seeing Dr Manhattan in all of his blue glory made me very happy that it wasn't presented in 3D.
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I watched it last night with the lady. I enjoyed it, thought it was good story and told very well.

Saw 3 couples walk out during the showing, all looked to be over 50.

I thought it was a good movie and suggest anyone who has interest to check it out.
                        B&W

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                          I watched it last night with the lady. I enjoyed it, thought it was good story and told very well. Saw 3 couples walk out during the showing, all looked to be over 50. I thought it was a good movie and suggest anyone who has interest to check it out.
                          I saw the preview on on iTune HD very cool..

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

I will wait until it comes out in Blu Ray :B
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• joetama
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                            I watched it last night with the lady. I enjoyed it, thought it was good story and told very well.

Saw 3 couples walk out during the showing, all looked to be over 50.

I thought it was a good movie and suggest anyone who has interest to check it out.
                            That makes me want to see it even more. I was going to go see it tonight, but too much Guinness last night isn't letting me.
                            -Joe

Comment

• chrisn
                              • Sep 2007

I thought it was fairly decent. I'm a huge horror fan, therefore I did not find the violence gratuitous. I knew nothing of the plot/story before hand and wasn't lost, nor did I object to the movies duration. Action/comic movies rarely appeal to me, and I was prepared for this movie to suck. It surprised me.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

I am currently on way too much Pinot Grigio + Jack + Coffee + Kaluhua and wouldn't mind seeing it one more time just for grins.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I've got to wonder why older folks would go to see a comic book movie anyway, if that genre isn't their cup of tea. If you have an interest in edgy action movies, then great! Let's all go see it together... But in comparison, I wouldn't personally go buy a ticket for a Care Bears movie, and then get up and walk out because it didn't interest me or the Care Bears made me puke.

(try to know what you're getting into!)
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Taking a sharp right right from the topic, I'm somewhat reminded of the scene from "Naked Gun", where Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley walk out of a movie, crying because they're laughing so hysterically. The camera pans up, and you see that they're walking out of "Schindler's List". I always found that irony hilarious. Not every movie is for everybody. (hardly any good ones really are)

Chuck, wow... maybe you should add some Pepto Bismol to that cocktail!
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Pepto Bismal? I'm thinking some asprin for the hang-over. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• impala454
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2007

Geez.. I don't even remember making that post... ugh.
                                        -Chuck

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Hehe. :roflmao:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Hope to go watch this at the IMAX sometime soon :yesnod:
                                            Jason

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                              I'm somewhat reminded of the scene from "Naked Gun", where Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley walk out of a movie, crying because they're laughing so hysterically. The camera pans up, and you see that they're walking out of "Schindler's List". I always found that irony hilarious.
                                              Geek moment - it was actually Platoon they walked out of, Schindler's List did not come out until many years after Naked Gun.
                                              Steel

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Ah, you're right... I had remembered that totally wrong! :loser:
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"