X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Doubt

Only time for a short comment. Doubt is an excellently acted film that makes you think (and will likely cause some debates over the guilt or innocence of a major character). I will be adding this to my collection as it has the kind of performances one can watch again and again. Anyone who attended a parochial school (at least anyone over 40) will have flashbacks. It is not, however, a feel good movie. :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I really liked it. Not a favorite for me, the story was good but not overwhelming. Very good acting by many actors. I went to High School with Amy Adams, (and she's pretty hot) so I'll watch anything with her in it, nowadays. I think I gave it 4 stars on Netflix.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Lucky you. Closest thing I have to a celebrity from high school is Mike O'Malley (you definitely got the better deal).

The movie resonated with me on several levels. I was an altar boy (the rituals glimpsed in the movie brought back memories of 8-11 year old days). I had rather scary nuns in elementary school (different style of headgear, though--I've never seen bonnets like that on nuns) and I knew a "progressive" priest who tangled with a few "old guard" nuns (though not in as malicious a manner as presented in the film).

Parochial schools in the US between 1940 and 1980 had a certain "flavour" that won't be seen again, I should think. This movie captures that "flavour" pretty well.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I also was an altar boy and can understand exactly what you are saying, Ovation. However, as much as I liked the film and the acting, it is not one I'd care to watch again.

BTW: I went to an all catholic school for one year and my nun teacher was a lot like the Streep character. Also one of the father's like to rap your knuckles with a ruler if he felt you misbehaved.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I still have the scar on my thumb from a nun's metal-edged ruler.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
            I still have the scar on my thumb from a nun's metal-edged ruler.
            Yeah, they could be nasty...
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"