X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeRocchio
    • Jan 2005

School sound system

hi guys,

I mostly lurk over in the HT forum but I have recently come across an issue that looks like it might fit here.

I am trying to improve the audio system in my sons elementary school multi purpose room.

It turns out that they have a pretty nice mixer (for mics and audio), and a fairly nice output amp. The problem is that someone has put some rather beefy (new) Rockford Fosgate speakers in the speaker boxes. I'm not sure what model they are but I recall seeing a 400W label on them.

The sound coming out of the speaker boxes is muffled, kinda like your under water or have your hand over the microphone. I have bypassed the Rockfords and wired to some stand alone speakers and the system sounds much better.

I think that the issue is, that they have installed some really nice sub woofer speakers and really need some mid range and tweeters to go with them. But I'm not sure if I'm right or not. worse than that, if I am right I don't have the first clue about how I would implement this fix.

Any help in the right way to CHEAPLY, I mean in-expensively, fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I think your "guess" is right on the money; someone probably replaced a wide range driver that includes a "whizzer" cone for some upper range response with just a "beefier" looking woofer, which is rolled off in the top end.

My suggestion would be to look at Parts Express for high efficiency wide range drivers that are designed for this kind of system use- adding a crossover and midrange or tweeter setup would be much more complex and time consuming, probably more expensive, too. OTOH, if you feel like experiementing, maybe a small midrange to tweeter horn with a high pass crossover and LPAD would help out the original woofer. To do it "right", would require some measurement of the existing speaker, and tailoring the add-on to it's existing bandpass.

Good luck, and hope you can get something worked out successfully.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"