X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Happening didn't...

... happen for me. A lot of poor acting, even from Mark Wahlberg, who I usually like. A stupid plot and poor pacing. It's been out for awhile and I had been passing it up but finally rented it on Blu-ray. Terrible PQ. Lacked contrast in many scenes and color palette was rather odd. I think Mr. Shyamalan is trying too hard to repeat earlier successes and failing miserably as a result. Recommended only for hardcore Shyamalan fans, and even they will likely be disappointed.
    My Homepage!
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

I rented that...what a load of ... I'm sure glad that I didn't pay to see it.
    Greg

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm a fan of M. Night's work--I've defended some of his films that were not widely acclaimed as I think he has a particular approach to filmmaking that is not necessarily mainstream (despite the mainstream success of his first feature) and is often misunderstood by mainstream film critics. However, I cannot defend this one. I rented it recently on BD as well and while I didn't have any issues with the PQ the story was a huge disappointment. The premise was interesting but its execution was flawed, seriously flawed. Altogether a poor effort and not worth even a rental.

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I rented this one too. I'm not familiar with M. Night Shyamalan's work but in my opinion a far better story could have been created concerning the main idea. Maybe I was expecting too much. I'd like to know what Steven Spielberg might have done given this idea as a project.

I'd give it :2:

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah I didn't think it was completely horrible. It was interesting and unique but I also felt that more could have been done.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Wheew, glad to hear I wasn't the only one disappointed in this film. After I did my little review, I wondered if maybe I was being a little unfair in my appraisal and was expecting to see that others saw it differently than I. Although I liked Shyamalan's early efforts for their originality, I hope that this latest dud will cause him to take note and perhaps come up with a winner for his next effort.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• hawkfan
              • Feb 2007

It's hard to believe that the guy who made Unbreakable and Signs made this. It had its moments that were genuinely creepy, but the movie leaves you a bit deflated in the end. Well I shouldn't have expected too much, especially after Lady in the Water! :rofl:

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"