X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Mongol

I didn't see any reviews, but it's about Genghis Khan, so it looked interesting. I downloaded the movie and started watching it the night before. 50 minutes into the movie, it really grabbed me so I went out and bought it.

The blu-ray version is beautiful! Lots of scenery, you know. It's not really a war movie. Story more than anything else about how a love for a woman made him who he became. Really good movie, but the last 30 minutes just seemed rushed. It's like they made the movie, and suddenly realized they still had half of their script to complete in 30 minutes. The ending was blah.. because it seemed incredibly rushed, but it was a great movie!
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have a hard time watching movies with subtitles, but I have to say I rather enjoyed this one. As you already said, it's more of a love story and barely scratches the surface on the real life of Genghis Khan. There was some discussion on this at another site and there is some indication that the filmmaker may do a sequel, which I'm sure would be more about Khan's conquests and would make for a lot more action.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Yes, it does end off like there could be a sequel... but why?
      It wouldn't really match at all. This movie was more about love. The next movie would be all war. I don't know. Even though it CAN be done, I think it should end there. If there were real plans for a sequel, they shouldn't have ended this movie the way it did. Too rushed at the ending, you know.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Thing is, I thought this was going to be a biographic epic, and I'm sure a lot of other viewers felt let down as I did. It was more like the first act of a three act play. I would like to see the next two acts.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Gremal
          • Apr 2007

This is a fantastic movie.

And yes, it is part one in a trilogy. Thought everyone knew that. The entire life of one of history's most important figures cannot be told in two hours.
          A weekly journal for literature and ideas. We publish book reviews, book extracts, essays and poems by leading writers from around the world. Each week, we also review the latest in fiction, film, opera, theatre, dance, radio and television.
          Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
          Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
          B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
          VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
          Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

http://entertainment.timesonline.co...icle3979333.ece I don't know how to break this to the idiot who wrote that review , but , history is written by the victors-not the vanquished. Did he bump his head as a child? Did his mother drink a lot?
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Alaric
              http://entertainment.timesonline.co...icle3979333.ece I don't know how to break this to the idiot who wrote that review , but , history is written by the victors-not the vanquished. Did he bump his head as a child? Did his mother drink a lot?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Gremal
                • Apr 2007

Yep, it is a bad review. I just quickly posted the link because it talked about Mongol being the first in a trilogy.
                Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

I didn't intend to disparage the link or the useful information! The one comment regarding
                  The reason, Man explains, is archival: in this case, history being written by the vanquished
                  just caught my eye-and caused me to roll on the floor giggling. Also , I certainly don't expect an unbiased review of Genghis Khan from Russia. There is somewhat of a societal , adversarial , thing going on there!
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ok, added to my Netflix list.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"