DVD's by mail to Canada (AKA "Netflix Canada")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

DVD's by mail to Canada (AKA "Netflix Canada")

Wondering what if anything my fellow Canucks are using for DVD delivery in Canada (as NETFLIX seeme to refuse to do business here :evil: ).

The two most promising services I've been able to locate are the following:

and

Zip seems to have a larger selection and more flexible (though not necessarily cheaper) pricing. Both have a two week free trial.

So has any one used either of these or any other service they'd like to recommend?
    Jason
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I use Zip.ca and I am very happy with them. They carry almost all the HD DVD and BD (though I don't have a BD player yet) titles ever released (it's why I joined up with them initially as my local store only had 10 titles when I got my player while Zip had over 350). Service is good, one problem disc was substituted by giving me an extra rental on top of my package at no charge and with a high priority request for another copy of my original rental. The system is easy to use and the lack of a deadline to return a title is great (for me--with two young kids, I don't always get to watch a film the day it arrives at home).

One caveat--the order of your selections to be delivered is at the mercy of what is most available. If you want to rush a title, they offer that for a surcharge. I've not used that (if I'm in a rush, I'll go the local store). You can move things around on your ziplist (I've done that and received titles I added more recently more quickly that way) but the list is not searchable and it is a bit cumbersome. Overall, though, no complaints and a very happy customer.

ETA: I kind of like the "surprise" nature of the mailings (though I'm probably in the minority for that). I have over 340 films on my list already, so I'll be busy for some time to come.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd actually probably like the the "surprise" too I don't really care if I see the latest and greatest as long as I get to watch it sometime

Just found out Rogers offers the EXACT same service through Zip.ca as well...kinda weird but makes me feel a bit more comfortable with it being a "known" company.

Jason

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Ah, well Rogers isn't very active in Quebec (except for phones) so I wasn't aware of their option.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I only rent a couple of flicks a week so I just use the local establishments.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Until I got an HD DVD player, I was content with my local store as well. However, they only got about 12 titles (and don't have them anymore) and their BD selection is quite small. The ability to rent a variety of titles on HDM is what motivated me to join zip.ca. Once I joined, I discovered their huge catalogue of SD films as well and it's been a while since I went to the local store (though I still try to get any new releases I want to see from them to support them--they can't possibly stock 72,000 titles, though, so for more obscure things, zip.ca is it for me).

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Well I signed up with Zip's free trial last night, as of this morning Departed was being shipped to me :T
              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I signed up on a Monday night (after 9pm) and my first disc arrived the next afternoon. It's not that fast after (though it's usually pretty quick). Usually get a new one about 2-4 days after I note that I've returned one (you can do that on your ziplist). The speed depends largely on which distribution centre sends it (I usually get them from Ottawa, sometimes Toronto--two from Calgary and one from Vancouver).

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Departed shipped on Friday, arrived yesterday and will be going back today for another disc. So far so good :T
                  Jason

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

i just joined zip.ca after reading this thread. Look great. Does the site seem slow to anyone else?

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

It's a bit sluggish at times, yes.
                      Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

It was quite a bit slower just a few months ago, believe it or not. Still, the variety of titles (both in HDM and in SD DVD) make it worth the minor foibles. I've got over 380 titles on my list and I keep finding new ones worth watching (of course, it'll take me the better part of a decade at the rate I keep adding to the list).

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

One thing I haven't been too pleased with so far is "Rex's" recommendations...hopefully as I give it more infor/reviews the suggestions improve. Have you found that it has improved over time Ovation?
                          Jason

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Since this is my first day with Zip i got a couple questions I cant find the answers to on the FAQ portion of their sight (strange).

1. What does it mean when tittles in your ziplist are greyed out? If I click on one it says "Zipped". Does that mean ready to ship? Because I hae put a couple of tittles i.e. 10,000 BC & The Spiderwick and they right away went greyed out and to "zipped".

2.) if the first three on my list get sent to me does it get the next three ready...and if so will it skip to the next one on my list if one of those three is not available?

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

1- They're not available yet/haven't been released on DVD yet.

2- I'd assume so but can't say for sure.
                              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                Since this is my first day with Zip i got a couple questions I cant find the answers to on the FAQ portion of their sight (strange).

1. What does it mean when tittles in your ziplist are greyed out? If I click on one it says "Zipped". Does that mean ready to ship? Because I hae put a couple of tittles i.e. 10,000 BC & The Spiderwick and they right away went greyed out and to "zipped".
                                Not yet available on their site.

2.) if the first three on my list get sent to me does it get the next three ready...and if so will it skip to the next one on my list if one of those three is not available?
                                Yes--key word being "available".

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                  One thing I haven't been too pleased with so far is "Rex's" recommendations...hopefully as I give it more infor/reviews the suggestions improve. Have you found that it has improved over time Ovation?
                                  "Rex" is a brand new feature (less than three weeks old) so it still has kinks. You need to rate/review a fair number of titles before it becomes useful (took me a couple of hours of rating titles before it started suggesting things I might be interested in). I don't pay much attention to it, though.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
                                    "Rex" is a brand new feature (less than three weeks old) so it still has kinks. You need to rate/review a fair number of titles before it becomes useful (took me a couple of hours of rating titles before it started suggesting things I might be interested in). I don't pay much attention to it, though.
                                    I'll have to keep rating then....Seems like it would be quite helpful... if it stops recommending ABSOLUTE crap though :lol:

Sending me the new Batman next though :T
                                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Already got Batman in the mail yesterday...PDQ :T
                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"