X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

HDTV in Canada

For anyone with about $3,000 to invest and a lot of couch time to fill, purchasing a High Definition Television will be the next logical step up the technology food chain.

Over the past couple weeks, one of the most important technical achievements of the Olympic Games was that NBC broadcast most significant events in HDTV. (For some strange reason, NBC chose to broadcast the events in HDTV a day delayed.)

However, the quality of the images shown in cinema-like (letterbox) format, or 16:9 aspect ratio, was unbeatable, with absolutely breathtaking colour and resolution. It even made watching the final of the men's hockey tournament interesting ... despite knowing the outcome (they win in HDTV, too). Seriously, it really is like "being there", a promise that TV can finally deliver on.

However, progress towards developing HDTV programming, particularly live programming, especially in Canada, has been painfully slow.

In the U.S., the transition from the current analogue to digital television, which will no doubt result in full HDTV (and not some lesser digital version like the current Fox offering), has been mandated by the regulator. It is a no-brainer to predict that once the technology reaches an affordable price point that Americans will turn in substantial numbers to HDTV broadcasts.

Given the pressure of the market in the U.S., HDTV will likely become the standard, and this will occur within the next three years. Today, Americans can receive many prime-time network schedules in true HDTV resolution and format.

Canadians don't have the alternatives available to Americans. Of course, there haven't been as many HDTVs sold here, due to the high price, and only about two million or so households in the US have digital reception capabilities.

In Canada, who knows what the numbers are? In addition to the required TV, you also have to be able to decode the signal, which requires the digital cable service, plus an extra box (or in the case of satellite an HDTV decoder which is over $700). The overall cost of entry for any household is high.

Aside from a lower price, what will surely drive the initial adoption of these new technologies will be movie DVDs, which cannot really be fully experienced unless you have the right stuff. The combination of wide-screen, perfect picture and huge sound is unbeatable.

But back to Canada. Clearly, Canadians will buy this technology, according to our research at POLLARA. Canadians will want access to materials in this format. And like most technology adoption, the wave will come sooner than expected and will be steeper than anticipated.

Are we ready? Is our broadcast system ready? Broadcasting executives and industry experts I've spoken to over the last few days wonder. There is no regulatory framework, there is little material and broadcasters complain about the costs.

Let's face it, there's no choice in the matter, and delays will simply mean that the HDTV-ready Canadian households will drift to American programming. Will the CRTC move to block access to U.S. HDTV signals? Possibly, but they would risk the same feedback they got when trying to block access to U.S. direct-to-home satellites. Surely, we learned from that, and from the Internet and from other technologies that leading is better than following, and just keeping up is for the birds.

(Duncan McKie is President of POLLARA Inc., Canada's largest domestically owned polling and market research firm. Mr. McKie specializes in new technologies and media

• Huskerduck
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

I find it strange he didnt mention one of the biggest reasons of all to get an HDTV and thats for progressive DVD.

The HD Olympics were great indeed and the reason was for advertisers, had they shown it the same day , you would have missed all those glorious comercials of local advertisers

Theres a vast amount of HD available in the U.S. right now, I thought Canada had expressvue

Mark

Ducks Meager Theater
    Mark

Ducks Meager Theater

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I thought Canada had expressvue
      We do but there's nothing on it

Actually whats killing us is the price of HDTV's up here...its very expensive to get that feature in TV's this side of the boarder.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I'm not in any rush to jump into HDTV. Fact is I rarely watch television. In my HT the projector is used primarily for movies, so give me HI Def DVDs and then I'll really be happy.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• joe logston
          • Mar 2002

i thank it would be better to get hd ready tv and wait till the price gose down, and they standerized the digital broadcasting & cable & satellite, you can get the converter box latter, the price will be less to. but you can get the rptv hd ready, a lot cheaper than the ht tv right now, over on the polk audio club some one got a 60" philips widescreen hd. at sams club for $1599 us dollers. thats a good deal. so they are coming down in price.

thanks

the one that dies with the most toys wins

Comment

• joe logston
            • Mar 2002

im not from canada but maybe i can help on this subject i can get prices and what the loco talk is. i will try to help.

Comment

• joe logston
              • Mar 2002

any one know this, commence connect, for shoping in the usa, dudy free. co. is borderfree, partner sites, ecoast.

you can look into these co. they have lot cheaper prices. but there will be no warrentys, they are not authorized retailers.

Comment

• starryclusters
                • Mar 2009

Hey, you guys are not keeping up with things...

[QUOTE=Andrew Pratt]For anyone with about $3,000 to invest and a lot of couch time to fill, purchasing a High Definition Television will be the next logical step up the technology food chain.

YIKES, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND BIG BUCKS, pennies will do!

If your PC is reasonably good, you can watch HDTV from broadcast stations in USA or Canada, if there are any close enough, for only $41. Standalone HDTVs are for primitive people with lots of money to waste. Nunitak's Weather Blog has complete information in the March 1, 2009 blog article: http://360.yahoo.com/nunitak click on Blog then USB 2.0 HDTV Receiver article posted on the foregoing date. Can Canada really be this far behind?

Comment

• PiDD
                  • Aug 2003

wow 6 years later! Andrew where are you!! :B

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

I got lucky. My 48" RPTV has a digital tuner and HD tuner built in. Since I sit about 8' away from it , I don't miss much at only 1080i. Cost me a whole $750 for my Mitsubishi.
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=starryclusters]
                      Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                      For anyone with about $3,000 to invest and a lot of couch time to fill, purchasing a High Definition Television will be the next logical step up the technology food chain.

YIKES, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND BIG BUCKS, pennies will do!

If your PC is reasonably good, you can watch HDTV from broadcast stations in USA or Canada, if there are any close enough, for only $41. Standalone HDTVs are for primitive people with lots of money to waste. Nunitak's Weather Blog has complete information in the March 1, 2009 blog article: http://360.yahoo.com/nunitak click on Blog then USB 2.0 HDTV Receiver article posted on the foregoing date. Can Canada really be this far behind?
                      I think I'll remain "primitive" :roll: thanks. In case you didn't notice, the original post was in 2002!!! Back then, 3000$ was the entry price to HDTV and there weren't any fancy-schmancy PCs that let you watch HDTV "for only $41". And I'll take my 64 inch screen over any computer screen you've got to offer as the whole point of HD imagery is to be able to see BIGGER and retain image quality. Beyond that, I work on a computer and I'd rather "disconnect" to enjoy my TV and movies, if it's all the same to you.

Comment

• Bent
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2003

Holy Thread resurrection!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                          Beyond that, I work on a computer and I'd rather "disconnect" to enjoy my TV and movies, if it's all the same to you.
                          Hear ! Hear ! Couldn't have said it better myself. :T
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

6 year old thread? Hmm, was HDTV even invented?
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dean McManis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • May 2003

Yeah, I started reading this thread and I didn't notice the date. I was wondering what the problem was with Canada not getting HD programming after all this time (and prices being so high), but it was simply an old post revived.

Comment

• JRachwalski
                                • Jun 2008

[QUOTE=Ovation]
                                Originally posted by starryclusters
                                I think I'll remain "primitive" :roll: thanks. In case you didn't notice, the original post was in 2002!!! Back then, 3000$ was the entry price to HDTV and there weren't any fancy-schmancy PCs that let you watch HDTV "for only $41". And I'll take my 64 inch screen over any computer screen you've got to offer as the whole point of HD imagery is to be able to see BIGGER and retain image quality. Beyond that, I work on a computer and I'd rather "disconnect" to enjoy my TV and movies, if it's all the same to you.
                                here us a tip....use your HDTV as your computer monitor.

My computer monitor is a 92" screen.

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

In 2002 the recession was just a twinkle in Alan Greenspan's eye.

Nigel.

PS. By the way guys, 2009 minus 2002 is 7, not 6. Don't worry, Greenspan would have made the same mistake.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

You go Nigel ... teach'em how to add! :T

P.S. sorry we screwed up the world economy. Has it hit you New Zealanders pretty bad?
                                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"