X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Any Doctor Who fans here?

I've been one since a little boy. Jeez, it terrified me as a kid....

I bought season one of the most current incarnation on DVD over the weekend and watched a few - great stuff. I also watch each episode on the beeb most Saturdays and the story lines really blow me away. It's also really quite scary at times. My 8 year old nephew refuses to watch it as it completly freaks him out. Brilliant!

Anyways, I was just wondering what the rest of you though about it, the storylines and most inportant - the Doctor.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I saw a few of those tv shows but I really just couldn't seem to connect with it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I'm an old series Dr Who fan. I used to stay up on Saturdays to watch it. Ah memories, the Tardis, K9, Leela, Romana, etc.

I recall a movie version, I think there were a couple, that I watched as well, but they just weren't the same.

How is the new series. I think it is on out here as well, but I've never had a chance to start watching again.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Paul Wu
        I'm an old series Dr Who fan. I used to stay up on Saturdays to watch it. Ah memories, the Tardis, K9, Leela, Romana, etc.

I recall a movie version, I think there were a couple, that I watched as well, but they just weren't the same.

How is the new series. I think it is on out here as well, but I've never had a chance to start watching again.
        Yeah, K9! He came back in the new series for a few episodes!

The movie version was pretty awful. No disrespect meant, but they gave it (or tried to) the 'Hollywood' treatment and was a disaster.

That said, the BBC have really pushed the boat and budget out for this one and to great effect. It

That said, it's BBC budget but that does not really matter - the plot and the various storylines really work. As for the Doctor, he's regenerated once. The first season was great furn and I really liked the Doctor, played by Christopher Eccleston. He really made the role hiw own and the general consensus was that it wouldn't work without him. How wrong though. The new Doctor - played by David Tennant - is just brilliant. It's like he was born for the role.

The new series has it all. Plot, decent characters (mostly British stars, but recognisable just the same), great effects and CGI given the budget and finally, timing. It's the right time for this show. We all know that to a large extent, a lot of kids today are somewhat less innocent than we were. In that they would laugh at the Doctor Who from my era and think it pathetic.

The current show, while it has the same fear factor, it's been modernised and with creepy plots, has the kids and adults alike jumping out of their skin - in a harmless sort of way (as in not Bride of Chucky ). That's what the Daleks did to me. Terrified me! Nothing like a good scare to make oneself feel alive!

Anyhow, you should really try watch a few episode if you get the chance. It's so worth it.
        Vincent.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

New season starts tonight on CBC. Plus a special episode that links the last season to this one is one at midnight. I've readied the PVR and will watch them in their proper sequence. I'm a fan from way back in the 70s and this as good as it's ever been, IMO.

Comment

• Pookie007
            • Apr 2006

I bought and watched the first season of the new series while traveling for work. I liked it enough that I think I am going to buy the second season. I never really watched the older show so I can't provide a comparison.

Comment

• JamesK
              • Jan 2007

That's awesome. I haven't seen an episode since I was 7 years-old. Gotta love those trash cans with things stuck to them.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Those would be Daleks.

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                  Those would be Daleks.
                  Those were the things that truly terrified me as a kid... It's also the thing that has my 7 year old nephew freaked out....
                  Vincent.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I wouldn't call myself a fan now but I certainly enjoyed watching it when I was a kid, starting with Series 1 in 1964 when the Doctor was played by William Hartnell.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I first stated watching the ‘Good Dr.’ back in the Seventies when our local Public TV channel started airing it. I was hooked from the beginning. Oooh, Leela!

I have never been able to look at a British phone booth since without wondering................Maybe......Just maybe.........
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

All I know is, it gave me nightmares as a kid, and I haven't watched it since.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          I have never been able to look at a British phone booth since without wondering................Maybe......Just maybe.........
                          The TARDIS is actually a 1950s-style British police box. Here's a description from Wikipedia:

A police box is a telephone kiosk or callbox for use by members of the police, or for members of the public to contact the police. Police boxes pre-date the era of modern telecommunications. The typical police box contained a telephone linked directly to the local police station allowing officers "on the beat" to keep in contact with the station, reporting anything unusual, requesting help if necessary or even to detain prisoners until a vehicle could be sent to transport them to the station or to jail. This was in the day when most police officers walked a beat or rode a bicycle rather than using a police car. A light on top of the box would flash to alert a beat officer that he was requested to contact the station. Members of the public could also use the phone (which was on the exterior) to contact a police station in an emergency.

British police boxes were usually blue, except in Scotland, where they were often red. In addition to a telephone they contained essential equipment such as an incident book and a first aid kit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                            • Sep 2001

Dr. WHO? :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Is he on First? What's on Second?
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                Dr. WHO?
                                Exactly!
                                Vincent.

Comment

• WillyD
                                  • Feb 2006

I am! I am young, and obviously an American, so I didn't grow up watching the older incarnation of Dr Who, but I've been watching the most recent one from the beginning. I enjoy it very much. Some episodes less than others, but some are brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"