New Trek show premieres tomorrow night...anyone planning to watch it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

New Trek show premieres tomorrow night...anyone planning to watch it?

Trek returns to TV after 12 years with a new show. I've seen some previews, so I'm sure it'll look really good. Stories? No idea.

Unlike every other country on the planet, Canada does not require internet streaming to watch the series. We have a cable/sat channel called Space and it will carry the series. The rest of the world will get it on Netflix. The US gets it on something called CBS All Access (I understand it's a streaming service--don't know much about it as it's not currently available in Canada).

So, are there still any Trek fans out there?
    Last edited by Ovation; 25 September 2017, 21:23 Monday.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

It's on CBS Sunday night here in the US... so you're saying it won't be aired regularly that way? Guess I'll be missing out, unless I can stream it free or cheap.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

After the pilot it will be on CBS' streaming service. That means I won't be bothered with watching it. That, and the need to shove a lifestyle agenda down viewer's throats. CBS generally sucks and this is just the latest example. Political correctness decided I won't watch a Star Trek franchise show for the first time in 50+ years. The NFL, MLB, and now Star Trek can kiss my white, heterosexual, patriotic a**.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
        It's on CBS Sunday night here in the US... so you're saying it won't be aired regularly that way? Guess I'll be missing out, unless I can stream it free or cheap.
        The premiere was Sunday, but all other episodes are on CBS All Access (like HBO and a few other networks, CBS is joining the online streaming model and the new Trek is supposed to be a way to draw people into the service). In Canada, it is on a cable channel, so no internet required (though it can be streamed on that channel's website for free in the week following the initial showing--if you live in Canada or have some way to access a Canadian IP). In the rest of the world, it's on Netflix the next day (so Mondays). Otherwise, I think it's available on iTunes as a "Season Pass" and will, of course, be available for purchase on some form of disc media down the line. All Access cost is 6$/month with limited ads or 9$/month ad-free, IIRC. Guess one "cheap" way to stream it would be to wait until the series is complete (released once a week, not all at once like most Netflix shows) and then binge watch it for one month's fee.

Originally posted by Alaric
        After the pilot it will be on CBS' streaming service. That means I won't be bothered with watching it. That, and the need to shove a lifestyle agenda down viewer's throats. CBS generally sucks and this is just the latest example. Political correctness decided I won't watch a Star Trek franchise show for the first time in 50+ years. The NFL, MLB, and now Star Trek can kiss my white, heterosexual, patriotic a**.
        This forum is not viewed as a suitable place for political debate, so I will not comment further except to say that this post should not serve as a starting point for significant rebuttals or arguments--plenty of other places online for that. I'll leave it in place, both because I believe it remains within the bounds of what is acceptable (there is no effort at inviting active political argument) and as an example of the limits of political or ideological expression deemed acceptable under the board rules as I see them.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I truly didn't mean to try and foment rebellion against forum rules, which I think I stayed within. I certainly didn't intend my comment to be in any way insulting or derogatory to other posters. Not every one is an American (how boring would that be?), and I don't expect everyone to view everything from that viewpoint. I certainly wasn't intending to invite political debate or challenge the beliefs of others. Just stating why I won't be watching. I recorded the pilot for others in the household, so I don't intend to censor it in any way based on my feelings.

this post should not serve as a starting point for significant rebuttals or arguments
          I agree completely. It wasn't intended as such. I don't see where stating my reasons for not watching invites a podium speech because everyone may not feel the same way. I didn't call anyone names or pick on anyone's favorite candidate or lifestyle. I disparaged a television network and explained why. If you like the show, good for you. Watch and enjoy. In my opinion politics ruined it for me. I didn't drag politics in to it, the entertainment industry did. I don't see a problem with stating that.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
            I truly didn't mean to try and foment rebellion against forum rules, which I think I stayed within. I certainly didn't intend my comment to be in any way insulting or derogatory to other posters. Not every one is an American (how boring would that be?), and I don't expect everyone to view everything from that viewpoint. I certainly wasn't intending to invite political debate or challenge the beliefs of others. Just stating why I won't be watching. I recorded the pilot for others in the household, so I don't intend to censor it in any way based on my feelings.

I agree completely. It wasn't intended as such. I don't see where stating my reasons for not watching invites a podium speech because everyone may not feel the same way. I didn't call anyone names or pick on anyone's favorite candidate or lifestyle. I disparaged a television network and explained why. If you like the show, good for you. Watch and enjoy. In my opinion politics ruined it for me. I didn't drag politics in to it, the entertainment industry did. I don't see a problem with stating that.
            It wasn't my intention to "call out" the post, but rather nip anybody who might wander in looking for an argument in the bud (I've seen it happen on other boards I frequent--someone arrives after a google search led them to something they've misread re: intent). While I completely agree there is nothing inviting "a podium speech" (nice phrase--might use that elsewhere), given the strict rules against politics here (at least as I understood them when I was invited to be a moderator), I chose to err on the side of caution towards any hypothetical response that might come along in that vein. Apologies if you felt singled out--was not the intention.

Cheers.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

And my apologies if I seemed over sensitive. You are and have been a first rate moderator here, and a valuable contributing member. Absolutely no hard feelings on my part and I now understand your intent more clearly. Moderators are the unsung heroes making order out of the occasional chaos that is a forum. Thanks for your efforts. They are appreciated by this member, and I'm sure the majority of members.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I've seen the two episodes twice now. So far, count me in the "meh" crowd. I don't care all that much about "canon minutiae" so I'm not all that bothered if things look different (the Klingons in The Motion Picture were as a big a change and I didn't care then). Everything looks great from a modern production value standpoint. Unfortunately, (to me), much of the dialogue and delivery is still stuck in the "stilted Star Trek language" of the TNG-era (I liked the Trek from that era but the "perfect speaking styles" was a bit of a pet peeve). As this series is intended to be one story across 15 "chapters", it is a bit more difficult to judge the effectiveness of the first two episodes on their own terms, so I'll reserve judgement there. I've watched every official version of Trek multiple times, so I will at least give this series a once over. So far, though, it's not at the "can't wait until the episode" stage that TOS was for me, or even "this actor" is worth watching (which got me through the other series).

Could be good, but did not hit a home run to get things going (anything else and I'd get into spoilers, which I'd rather not do).

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Well, now that there's only one episode left in the season, I thought I'd briefly revisit this thread. My comments about the first two episodes did not hold for the rest of the series. While there are a number of elements sure to make some Trek fans pine for earlier versions of the show, I (been watching since 1973) have quite enjoyed the show. The third episode saw the arrival of Jason Isaacs as the captain and he managed (for me) to make the show go from "meh" to "can't wait until the next episode". The show is not without its flaws, but compared to the first seasons of every other (but TOS), I think it has been a solid first season effort. Definitely looking forward to the next season.

Comment

• technodanvan
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Ovation
                    Well, now that there's only one episode left in the season, I thought I'd briefly revisit this thread. My comments about the first two episodes did not hold for the rest of the series. While there are a number of elements sure to make some Trek fans pine for earlier versions of the show, I (been watching since 1973) have quite enjoyed the show. The third episode saw the arrival of Jason Isaacs as the captain and he managed (for me) to make the show go from "meh" to "can't wait until the next episode". The show is not without its flaws, but compared to the first seasons of every other (but TOS), I think it has been a solid first season effort. Definitely looking forward to the next season.
                    Thanks for following up, I hope to watch this someday soon. Like others though, I don't think I can bring myself to purchase every online streaming option under the sun. I'm sure it'll be available via the normal channels eventually, and hope it can continue past the first season. Life is better with more sci-fi, and recently we have been getting quite an abundance of it. Good time to be a nerd!
                    - Danny

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by technodanvan
                      Thanks for following up, I hope to watch this someday soon. Like others though, I don't think I can bring myself to purchase every online streaming option under the sun. I'm sure it'll be available via the normal channels eventually, and hope it can continue past the first season. Life is better with more sci-fi, and recently we have been getting quite an abundance of it. Good time to be a nerd!
                      If you time it right, you can get a free week on CBS All Access and binge watch it. I'm sure it'll be out on disc at some point (or iTunes) for purchase. Outside North America, it's a Netflix show. In Canada, where I live, we've had it on a regular cable network (only country in the world where it was available first-run without streaming). Now that it's done, it will be streaming on a Canadian pseudo-Netflix service called CraveTV (only has TV shows). I'm not a subscriber (not enough time to watch what I already have piled up in the "cave", plus the Netflix queue) but it's there for Canucks.

The finale was a bit underwhelming (as almost all season finales seem to be), but has some interesting elements (don't want to put in spoilers). I have the whole series on my PVR and will do a "binge watch" at some point before freeing up the space on the drive. I enjoyed it (but, when it comes to Trek, I've enjoyed all of it--not equally, as there are some isolated episodes I'm not fond of, but unlike some, I don't "hate" any of the series or movies). Hope you enjoy it when you get around to it.

Comment

• technodanvan
                        • Nov 2009

Oh I'm in no real hurry, I don't think I've seen a single episode of Enterprise, after all. Not because I don't want to, it's just hard to start in on something like that unless I'm traveling a lot for work.

A 15 episode season is pretty decent for a full length show anymore.
                        - Danny

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"