X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Born Into Brothels

This is a documentary made by a western female freelance photographer, Zana Briski, who lived in the red light district of Calcutta, India, while working on assignment. She befriended the children of the sex workers, and taught them to use 35 mm cameras that she gave them.

It is a very sobering and touching story of the children and world in which they must find a way to survive, and, hopefully, some day, escape from.

There is no sex or nudity, it is subtitled, and well worth the time. The photos these kids have taken are just incredible and in some cases haunting. You will be thinking about this film days after you have seen it.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I also just watched this film. I came away feeling the same as you. "Sobering" is exactly it!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• WillyD
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check this out.

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

If/when you do see it, please let us know your impressions on the film.
        I always value your opinions, especially on non-mainstream type themes.

TIA, WillyD
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
          If/when you do see it, please let us know your impressions on the film.
          I always value your opinions, especially on non-mainstream type themes.

TIA, WillyD
          So I finally got around to watching this movie! :T

It was most definitely worth my time, as the content of this documentary is literally foreign to me. I really wasn't aware that kids like them existed...or maybe I just didn't want to think about it.

I sort of disagree with the statements such as "Uplifting!" and "Inspiring!" on the DVD cover. If anything, this movie just made me even more cynical. I feel so much for those kids and others in similar or worse situations.

Seeing what they have to go through..how they live and how they are treated is indeed sobering. It makes me reflect on how truly blessed my life has been. I never had to hope for the opportunity for a good education; it was downright expected of me. I couldn't believe how some of the parents were so selfish that they pulled their kids out of or didn't allow them to go to school. I see the exact opposite is so many situations, but not in the red light district.

And what about the drugged out dads? I suppose that is a universal theme in ghettos, but still. You can tell how the cycle of poverty is never ending...if it weren't for the film maker. She is really special for putting so much of her life into this cause.

But I shouldn't be such a downer. There was some inspiration in this movie, for me, and it came from the kids themselves. Some of the things they said...a kid shouldn't have to say; but they almost came off as much older than they were. They are so full of life, hope, dreams. You can tell that if kids like them are just given a chance and have the right support, that a good many of them will go on to succeed.

Anyways...good movie. Life changing? Not quite. Truly inspirational? I wouldn't say so. Eye opening? Absolutely. I can definitely recommend this movie.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

WillyD,

I'm glad you got an opportunity to see this moving film. It is one that makes us appreciate what we have, and not whine about what we do not. I could not even begin to imagine being in that situation as an adult, let alone a child. I believe it's important for all of us that "have" to some degree, not forget that there are many, many people on this planet that live under conditons like this and worst.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I picked this up when it first came out.
              Incredible work and eye-opening for many.
              ~Nick

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by WillyD
                So I finally got around to watching this movie! :T

I am glad you found it worth your time!

Thanks for the detailed impressions, we all seem to have been affected in the same way. A good reality check when life gets you down and you start thinking you have been left behind the eight ball. Then you see a film like this and realize just how lucky we are!
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"