X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludvig
    • Jan 2006

Orion++ is born

If you want to "see" a really happy man, point your browser to linkwitzlab.com. Orion++ is born. :W
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• joecarrow
      • Apr 2005

Interesting... I noticed the other night that linkwitzlab.com was down due to bandwidth usage. This kind of compares to John Kreskovsky's NaO speaker, with the switchable rear tweeter.

Now, I get the single "+", with the rear tweeter- what's going to give us the second "+"? I can't wait to find out!
      -Joe Carrow

Comment

• Bill Sledge
        • Jan 2007

Joe, you beat me to it. I have heard the NaO at John's house when I lived in CT. I loved it and plan to build it when I have time!

Bill

Comment

• digital desire
          • Dec 2006

Isn't this a play right out of the bose handbook? (As far as the rear pointed tweeter?)
          Raw Acoustics is doing it also.
          Peter
          Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Well, Bose didn't invent rear pointed tweeters...

In fact, do they even USE tweeters very much?

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JohnL
              • Dec 2004

I do think there is something to having the highs running in dipole. I'm the anachronist using an AMT on top of my dipole. As cool as the AMT is, I don't think it's the transducer technology that makes it sound so good, I think it's that fact that the tweeter is dipolar. When I've used domes or standard monopole ribbons or planars, they just don't have that same magic sound.

Comment

• JorgenMan
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by joecarrow
                Now, I get the single "+", with the rear tweeter- what's going to give us the second "+"? I can't wait to find out!
                The second "+" is just the Thor subwoofers he has running with the Orions.
                -Aaron
                You can't spell geek without EE!

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Now he needs to put front and rear waveguides on the tweeters to really match the power response of the dipole mids. Front/back waveguide Isiris anyone?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I'll leave that innovation to some other hardy soul... :B

I've got my hands full as it is just figuring out the FRONT mounted waveguide and driver!
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tktran
                      • Jan 2005

The rear tweeter sounds interesting, but it's all starting to really add up in cost. Hopefully it won't require an additional two channels of amplification?

The Orion+ is a previous mod that added a pair of Thor subwoofers and raised the 12" to 10" XLS crossover frequency to 50Hz. So now we the Orion's FOUR 10" XLS woofers in the H-frame only operating between 50Hz to 120Hz.

That's just over a single octave, by those FOUR 10" woofers + 2/4 channels of amplification. Seems to me like such a waste of resources.

Now we're going to add a pair of surface mounted tweeters, at US$170 a pop.
                      Last edited by tktran; 26 January 2007, 18:59 Friday.

Comment

• jkrutke
                        • Dec 2005

You know, rear firing tweeters on a dipole is one way of increasing the ambient reflected soundfield, but there's something else I've been mulling over in my mind.

Consider the value of a LR2 crossover at a higher frequency than what Linkwitz has to use with the W22. A steep crossover at a low frequency makes for a sudden transition from dipole radiation to monopole.

With a shallower crossover at a higher frequency, (using a paper cone obviously) There's more rear output at the top end of the woofer with a smoother transition to monopole. Woofers with small magnets and cleaner rear radiation would seem to be optimal for the situation. Seas Excel M15CH-002 5" Nextel with the hex magnet maybe?
                        Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Davey
                          • Jan 2003

John,

SL has already considered that possibility....and he hasn't discounted it. Possibly a MMT configuration with the lower M inverted.
                          The trouble is.....is that it would be a completely new speaker and not retro-fit-able to the Orion design.

I know he's fairly happy with the W22 driver and panel arrangement and considers that the strongest point of the design.

(I think he's cogitating on some other ideas as well, but hasn't shared them with me.)

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                            Now he needs to put front and rear waveguides on the tweeters to really match the power response of the dipole mids. Front/back waveguide Isiris anyone?
                            Hmm, the XO would still have to be really low on the rear tweeter due to the low pass of the motor (or the cabinet in this monstrosity from many moons ago, rear driver separate amp & eq driven, variable output relative to front) for near perfect symmetry.

But a small enclosed out of phase coax could maintain pattern control and go below 1k with ease...hmm, got me thinking again Dennis. Dangerous stuff

The 1812's were going to have front/rear tweeters above 16k already, but may have to experiment a bit again with rear response/power shaping in totality. Does it ever end LOL?

cheers,

AJ
                            Manufacturer

Comment

• Mazeroth
                              • Nov 2004

I have corrected the master! :B

At the bottom, under Rear Tweeter Mounting, Linkwitz states this:

"The rear tweeter is wired in parallel with the front tweeter, plus to minus and minus to plus."

Ummm...isn't that series wiring?

This new Orion does sound somewhat gimmicky to me, but I'd love to hear the difference. I may experiment with this and the test dipoles I have. Good thing I bought an extra pair of RS28s when they were on sale :T

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                You know, rear firing tweeters on a dipole is one way of increasing the ambient reflected soundfield, but there's something else I've been mulling over in my mind.

Consider the value of a LR2 crossover at a higher frequency than what Linkwitz has to use with the W22. A steep crossover at a low frequency makes for a sudden transition from dipole radiation to monopole.

With a shallower crossover at a higher frequency, (using a paper cone obviously) There's more rear output at the top end of the woofer with a smoother transition to monopole. Woofers with small magnets and cleaner rear radiation would seem to be optimal for the situation. Seas Excel M15CH-002 5" Nextel with the hex magnet maybe?
                                Or, for a cheaper alternative, the AA6.5. That is, if it ever becomes available again...

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
                                  • Mar 2005

The problem with a M15CH-002 is it pushes the Woofer to Midrange crossover up to 300 Hz or more. That stretches the H baffle resonances to their limit.
                                  It will be interesting what SL comes up with.

Doug

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

But a small enclosed out of phase coax could maintain pattern control and go below 1k with ease
                                    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, A.J. You could even use a pair of 'bigger' coaxes, wired out of phase in a small box. The depth of the box would contribute to D and it might be good down to 400 or wherever the natural dipole rolloff started. Too bad the Seas 7" coaxes aren't really up to scratch; something like that would be perfect.

Comment

• kgveteran
                                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                                      Well, Bose didn't invent rear pointed tweeters...

In fact, do they even USE tweeters very much?

C
                                      I think they use Mweeters (midrange-tweeters)
                                      Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Davey
                                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mazeroth

"The rear tweeter is wired in parallel with the front tweeter, plus to minus and minus to plus."

No. Parallel wired but inverted in polarity with respect to the front tweeter. (Front tweeter dome moves outward, rear tweeter dome moves inward.)

Davey.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

I have corrected the master! :B

At the bottom, under Rear Tweeter Mounting, Linkwitz states this:

Not series, but parallel with the rear tweeter connected opposite polarity. As mounted both tweeters move in the same direction.

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Bill Sledge
                                            Joe, you beat me to it. I have heard the NaO at John's house when I lived in CT. I loved it and plan to build it when I have time!

Bill
                                            I had a chance to hear an earlier version at the Iowa DIY event. The depth of soundstage was impressive!

Comment

• Rick Craig
                                              • Jul 2006

I found his comparison of the various design formats interesting. I recently had a chance to hear the Dali Megalines driven with a DSP crossover and tri-amped with subwoofers. This is a tall array and at 7-8 ft. away the phantom image was very real - quite unlike what Mr. Linkwitz noted.

Comment

• Chris7
                                                • Dec 2006

One question Linkwitz doesn't address (I don't think so anyway, though I may need to re-read) is whether the listener perceives the sound balance to be brighter, given that there is 3 dB more high frequency acoustic energy in the room. He mentions that "F and R add on a power basis and increase the perceived volume level." Is this a psychoacoustic increase of the overall volume level, or is it an increase in the volume level of just the highs?

I guess my question boils down to: even though the sound power sums at the listener, does the ear somehow filter out decorrelated reflections when presenting the brain with the tonal balance of the speaker? If so, why do conventional speakers in "live" rooms tend to sound brighter? I'm not entirely convinced that the effect Linkwitz is hearing couldn't be substantially simulated with equalization of the standard monopole tweeter Orions.

Comment

• capslock
                                                  • Dec 2004

The Adire DDR (flat baffle dipole with 2x Extremis and 1x Neo3-PDR minus the back cup) received rave reviews from various people who listened them, and I have yet to hear a reserved opinion about them. Maybe this is the same phenomenon?

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                    • Jul 2005

Everyone who hears the "Blackwood" speakers I built goes into raptures about how good they are to listen to.
                                                    They also are open back MTM+vented W

They don't use anything exceptional in the way of drivers, but they have a certain yummyness about the sound quality that I have never heard from boxed mids.

Anyone thinking of building more speakers ought to seriously consider this approach. Gees if its good enough for SL and JK, etc, there has to be something going for it. :T

Comment

• JoshK
                                                      • Mar 2005

Wouldn't a dome mid, like the new RS dome work well? You could put a first order low pass on it up high and let the power response drop gradually. It could also play low and even compensate for some of the W22's rear masking.

Comment

• fcserei
                                                        • Jan 2006

"ORION+ transports me to the performance venue. I must close my eyes so that I do not get distracted by the glaring visual incongruence between the speakers and room in front of me and the visual acoustic space before me in my mind's eye. It seems so real and in 3D."

Anybody who claims this about 2 chanel stereo reproduction in very dissimilar acoustic space from the original recording venue needs a strong reality check.

Comment

• Paul W
                                                          • Oct 2004

Neo 8 + Neo 3, both full dipole, might work well.
                                                          Paul

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by fcserei
                                                            "ORION+ transports me to the performance venue. I must close my eyes so that I do not get distracted by the glaring visual incongruence between the speakers and room in front of me and the visual acoustic space before me in my mind's eye. It seems so real and in 3D."

Anybody who claims this about 2 chanel stereo reproduction in very dissimilar acoustic space from the original recording venue needs a strong reality check.
                                                            Have you listened to an Orion at any length? Under what conditions?

I have even had this experience with the right room setup with non-dipole speakers, as early as the late 70's, so I know what he's talking about subjectively. Evn more so with the dipole style speakers I had or had access to (Magneplanars, Levinson HQD setup).

Having heard Orions under decent contitions, and having heard a lot of what was available at CES2006 in the high end exhibition at Alexis Park, I have no point to pick or disagree with Sigfried. And that is with two channel. As almost any reviewer that has listened to the Orions, (Audio Critic, Sensible Sound), they're in a class by themselves compared to nearly all commercially available speakers regardless of price.

Personally, I think SL's room is too live for the utmost in reproduction of the acoustic space on the recording, but it only illustrates how well they work in less than ideal conditions.

I'd respectively suggest checking your preconceptions at the door.
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by capslock
                                                              The Adire DDR (flat baffle dipole with 2x Extremis and 1x Neo3-PDR minus the back cup) received rave reviews from various people who listened them, and I have yet to hear a reserved opinion about them. Maybe this is the same phenomenon?
                                                              Most likely, though I bet even with the back cup, the response would be similar.
                                                              the AudioWorx
                                                              Natalie P
                                                              M8ta
                                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                                              Modula MT XE
                                                              Modula Xtreme
                                                              Isiris
                                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                              Minerva Monitor
                                                              Calliope
                                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                                              Obi-Wan
                                                              Modula PWB
                                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Paul W
                                                                Neo 8 + Neo 3, both full dipole, might work well.
                                                                SHHH

don't steal my, um... vague lame attempts at causing great rumbling in the sky (aka thunder)

In fact, I'm even pondering some waveguide type experiments. Which could be both front and back.

Anyone want to lend me a guiltless conscience so I can just up and order all the crap I want to play with?

My wife commented last night about how nice she is to let me build "crazy speakers" and I said "I haven't built any crazy speakers... yet" and she just said "I know" - :B

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                  SHHH

don't steal my, um... vague lame attempts at causing great rumbling in the sky (aka thunder)

In fact, I'm even pondering some waveguide type experiments. Which could be both front and back.

Anyone want to lend me a guiltless conscience so I can just up and order all the crap I want to play with?

My wife commented last night about how nice she is to let me build "crazy speakers" and I said "I haven't built any crazy speakers... yet" and she just said "I know" - :B

C
                                                                  She's a gem- you treat her right, Chris!
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dawaro
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by capslock
                                                                    Being that I have most of the components to build a set of these (short the neo's and a couple of inductors) I may try to through a set together and give it a listen.
                                                                    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• cjd
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                      She's a gem- you treat her right, Chris!
                                                                      It's never easy, but I do try. It helps that she has her own hobby now (finally!) - knitting. I just have to actually finish those projects I'd promised her (a needle box and a tall-thin drawer chest to store yarn)

Need better shop tools. Bandsaw, drill-press... and space

C

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

I think what should be noted is the distance from the rear wall. In SL's case its close to 6'. If you're going to go full spectrum dipole, you better have some room. Another thing I noted from back with my rear driver experiments is that there was a tendency for it to add a terrific sense of realism with large scale ochestra, acoustic jazz, etc.
                                                                        However with certain types of electronic music, the effect was less than desirable, though not outright unlistenable. Which is precisely why the rear driver was seperately powered, eq'd and remote volume controlled. With an off button.
                                                                        That said, I may have to measure the rear output of a DA175 (thanks again PMazz) to see what the lo-pass effect of the motor/basket looks like.
                                                                        The idea of reverse mount MMT, even with neo motor M's, appeals to me only if the tweeter can go way low, like the Aura NSW2, which I also happen to have a pair of . 2 Auras back to back with sufficient absorbtion between for that 1/4 wave resonance should still be relatively shallow. XO of about 6-700hz or so should keep the drivers in the omni range for near full dipole cancellation across a wide bandwidth.
                                                                        Sensitivities are reasonably close for you passive guys who don't have a DCX in the toolshed LOL. Reasonable amp load & cheap too.
                                                                        Might have to cut some wood this weekend. No waveguides needed 8O .

cheers,

AJ
                                                                        Manufacturer

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                          • 1140

Hmm... what if... open baffle, two Peerless 830884 two RS125 on front, one 27TBFC on front, one rear firing 27TBFC...

Linkwitz is truly an inspiration.
                                                                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2002
                                                                            • 3791

Originally posted by Chris7
                                                                            One question Linkwitz doesn't address (I don't think so anyway, though I may need to re-read) is whether the listener perceives the sound balance to be brighter, given that there is 3 dB more high frequency acoustic energy in the room. He mentions that "F and R add on a power basis and increase the perceived volume level." Is this a psychoacoustic increase of the overall volume level, or is it an increase in the volume level of just the highs?

I guess my question boils down to: even though the sound power sums at the listener, does the ear somehow filter out decorrelated reflections when presenting the brain with the tonal balance of the speaker? If so, why do conventional speakers in "live" rooms tend to sound brighter? I'm not entirely convinced that the effect Linkwitz is hearing couldn't be substantially simulated with equalization of the standard monopole tweeter Orions.
                                                                            SL said he only needed to turn down the dual tweeter volume in the active XO about 1 dB below the single tweeter level for it to sound 'right.' He says he tried EQ with a single tweeter but couldn't get the same effect. The point he's making is the reverberant field should have a similar frequency response to the direct sound for it to sound right. Cranking up a single tweeter to get more reverberant treble would make the direct sound too bright.

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2001
                                                                              • 197

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                              I'll leave that innovation to some other hardy soul... :B

I've got my hands full as it is just figuring out the FRONT mounted waveguide and driver!
                                                                              Hi Jon,

Personally I see Sigfried's findings to further emphasize how critical the power and total radiation pattern of the speaker is.

Rather than trying to make a dipole with horns, I would suggest heading the other direction. Make the rest of the range better match that of a well behaved, CD-ish horn. There are both cardioid and hyper cardioid options to consider using everything from U baffles to multiple sealed drivers to multiple dipoles. The delay for a rear driver is but a filter away even in a passive design.

In my mind a design with a horn tweeter, and 2-4 mids (1-2 above, 1-2 below) operating to deliver a consistent pattern could be quite something for use in less friendly acoustic environments. One of the guys who built a Lambda Unity did this for the bass section and raved about the results.

Just some food for thought. There are only so many designs I have time to play with, so it's always interesting to see what others are finding on different paths. Besides, cardioids and dipoles don't work too well put in a baffle wall for a home theater. :roll:
                                                                              Mark Seaton
                                                                              "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2005
                                                                                • 108

#40
                                                                                SL said he only needed to turn down the dual tweeter volume in the active XO about 1 dB below the single tweeter level for it to sound 'right.' He says he tried EQ with a single tweeter but couldn't get the same effect. The point he's making is the reverberant field should have a similar frequency response to the direct sound for it to sound right. Cranking up a single tweeter to get more reverberant treble would make the direct sound too bright.
                                                                                Be a bit careful with this. Iirc, SL has about 9ft behind his speakers, and sits about the same distance in front, so the rear tweeter is firing around 3 times the distance. I haven't done the maths, but I suspect we are still within the Haas effect boundary, but by the time the rear sound reachs you it will be down quite a bit from the original level.

I suspect that the distance behind the speaker will determine the amount of reduction required and change the balance required between the 2 tweeters.

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 422

#41
                                                                                  You guys are audio gurus compared to me so bear with me on this question. One thing I don't *think* was mentioned was about the delay involved with the rear firing tweeter. Would this have to be compensated for, or does the delayed tweeter add some sort of "realism" to the sound SL says is so great?

Comment

• Andy_G
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2005
                                                                                    • 108

#42
                                                                                    You guys are audio gurus compared to me so bear with me on this question. One thing I don't *think* was mentioned was about the delay involved with the rear firing tweeter. Would this have to be compensated for, or does the delayed tweeter add some sort of "realism" to the sound SL says is so great?
                                                                                    This is what I referred to above as the Haas Effect. If the delayed sound reaches you within a certain time your ears effectively treat it as one with the original. This gives a sortof "broadening" of the original sound.
                                                                                    What you have to remember here is that there will not be just one rear reflection, but many , that may have bounced off 1, 2 or even 3 walls.

What we are creating is, in effect, a mini-reverb.
                                                                                    I personally think this takes us out of the objective , into the subjective. :T

Comment

• Chris7
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 128

#43
                                                                                      I don't think it's clear from Linkwitz' write-up whether he actually did the experiment with EQing a monopole, or whether he just doesn't believe the same effect is possible. I think the latter is probably more likely; he just seems to dismiss the possibility without necessarily having tested it: "It is not possible to obtain the same effect from playing with the frequency response of a forward firing tweeter, though I have often observed that really wide tweeter dispersion reduces harshness and sounds more realistic."

Also, Linkwitz does adjust the tweeter level, but it's not clear that the stock Orion tweeter adjustment would exactly counteract the effect of the firing rear tweeter on the total sound at the listener's position. Could what Linkwitz be hearing be partially accounted for by a lumpier response (ie. linear distortion)?

There are a lot of questions here that deserve further study.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2002
                                                                                        • 3791

#44
                                                                                        he just seems to dismiss the possibility without necessarily having tested it:
                                                                                        If you know anything about SL, he tests everything. He's a fanatic about not making claims he can't back up. If you read Don Barringer's remarks in the Orion forum, much more has gone into the design than what's apparent from what SL has published so far. And he's not done yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"