X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hollywoodland is noir

Hollywoodland stars Ben Affleck as real life actor George Reeves ( tv's Superman) who was found dead under mysterious circumstances in 1959. Also stars Diane Lane as the wife of a ruthless studio executive, Bob Hoskins. She takes up with Reeves ( her husband doesn't seem to mind as long as she is happy ) and supposedly helps him with his acting career. Enter ex-cop and hustling gumshoe, Adrian Brody, who is hired by Reeves mother ( Lois Smith ) to find out exactly how Reeves died. Police say it was suicide and Hollywood seems to want it left that way as Brody encounters some pretty stiff opposition to his efforts at finding the truth.

There is some excellent acting by Affleck, Lane, Hoskins and Brody. The director went for a noir murder mystery 50ish atmosphere that works in general but the story is told in flashback and I felt there was too much of the detective and too little of Reeves. And though the film was inspired by the death of real life Reeves, this is more fiction than fact and focuses on the supposition that Reeves was possibly murdered by his fiancee ( played by Robin Tunney) orby Lane herself ( because he left her for a younger woman ) or by someone sent by Hoskin's to kill Reeves out of revenge. I do believe the film would have been much better, and much more interesting, had it stuck to the facts surrounding George Reeves real life and death. But I have to say that I enjoyed Hollywoodland just the same, and it was a much better film than The Black Dahlia, which also used fictional characters to tell a story inspired by a real life crime.

:4:
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, heard some decent stuff about this film. Thanks, George!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"