X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Street Kings pretty gripping

This cop drama is based on an original story and screenplay by James Elroy (L. A. Confidential ) and that was reason enough to get my interest in this film. It stars Keanu Reeves as a detective in a special squad that makes its own rules. It's headed by Forest Whitaker. Nasty things happen that get Reeves in trouble and he finds himself doing desk duty. But the murder of a friend ( also a cop ) leads him to start an investigation of his own that leads to police corruption and the possibility of losing his own life. Also stars Hugh Laurie as an Internal Affairs Captain who , at first, seems out to get Reeves and the squad, but there's more behind this than meets the eye, and it all leads to a fantastic climax.

If you liked Dark Blue with Kurt Russell, you will definitely like Street Kings, because there are many similiarities. Reeves seemed suited to the part , but I didn't feel Whitaker was right for his role. But that didn't change how I felt about this film. It was on Blu-ray and it is now in my collection for future viewing. :T
    My Homepage!
  • june
    • Feb 2005

George,

i loved it & needed something to rock my system during this dvd drought.
    the blu-ray also has a dts audio track also. i'll own it so, on a tight budget now, house shopping.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

June, the local Blockbuster here is already selling previously viewed titles at $10 to $15 cheaper than new. Maybe you should keep an eye out for Street Kings.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

george,

i haven't seen any bluray pvt's yet. but i'll keep a look out for it.
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• hawkfan
          • Feb 2007

Watched it on Blu Ray and it was pretty riveting. The cops seemed a little "too" corrupt and disturbingly deviant at times though. It seemed to have this Michael Mann"ish" Miami Vice meets Dirty Harry feel to it. Reeves seemed to be doing his best Clint Eastwood impression in this one, but he pulled it off though. Forrest did seem a tad out of place although he did a great job with the role. All in all, a pretty good movie. :twisted:

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

I liked it it was quite good. Better then I expected as the first time I saw it and I saw who played the leading role I walked away.

Comment

• Gump
              • Sep 2005

Luckily the plot of this movie was convoluted enough to keep you from realizing how preposturous the actions of the characters were.

Grade: C

Comment

• hawkfan
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gump
                Luckily the plot of this movie was convoluted enough to keep you from realizing how preposturous the actions of the characters were.

Grade: C
                Yeah, the cops were a little too over the top. But I was entertained overall.

Comment

• NMG
                  • Oct 2004

I really enjoyed the movie as well. Yeah some of the characters were over the top, but it's Hollywood

I didn't find the movie had any dry spots and I was entertained throughout. The audio and PQ on BR were also very good.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"