X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Down In The Valley a western of sorts

It is an independent film, written and directed by David Jacobson, starring Edward Norton ( who also co-produced with help from the Sundance Foundation ), David Morse, Evan Rachel Wood and Rory Culkin.

Norton's character is a delusional drifter who thinks he's a cowboy in a present day San Fernando Valley setting. He falls for a minor ( Wood) and takes to her troubled little brother ( Culkin ). But the children's father, played by David Morse, is wary of the young stranger and rightly so as we see Norton's character slowly disintigrate. His obsession with horses and guns ( and man can Norton ever handle those six shooters) leads to a messy climax that ultimately brings Culkin out of his shell and improves the sometime violent relationship between Morse and his daughter.

This is an excellent layered and character driven film that moves along at a brisk pace and leaves you thinking long after the credits fade. Norton's performance is very likely his best and IMHO Oscar worthy. Evan Rachel Wood shows excellent talent, as does Culkin. And Morse is terrific as always.
    If you want a well written, directed and acted film, then see this. You won't regret it.

:45:
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Evan Rachel Wood was stunningly great in the movie Thirteen, so I don't doubt her acting prowess here. Thanks again for a kind of Western recommendation, George. I'll see if they have it at Blockbuster. I do recall the film getting praised by some critics.
    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

You won't regret it, Keith. The acting is dynamite.
      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"