X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Thank You For Smoking

Although this movie attracted some notice among our members when it was in commercial theaters http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...hlight=smoking perhaps now that it is available on DVD, more people will find out about it and enjoy it for what it is -- well made, enjoyable satire that alllows several accomplished actors to take a sly comic turn on what could have been a rather offensive subject if handled with less finesse. It exposed a lot more than just smoking to some deserved ridicule. Warning -- no car chases or explosions -- most of the "action" is in the dialog. However there are a couple of scenes that shed a whole new light on investigative reporting. :>)

Frankly, this is the first new movie I've been able to sit all the way through in one sitting in about a month, (not because I didn't have the time; the others just didn't hold my interest -- I decided to spend the time listening to music when I found the movies less engaging). I'm looking forward to seeing it again -- after I give a few others in the unwatched DVDs pile a spin, including the highly anticipated "United 93", the extended cut of "Kingdom of Heaven" and "X -- The Last Stand" (a.k.a. "X3").

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I definitely plan to rent this.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Me too :T
      Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Count me in.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• cobbpa
          • Apr 2005

I bought it asap. Definitely something I'm glad to have in my modest collection.

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Awesome film. :T
            ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah, I had a discussion thread going on this one over in the movie sub-forum.

Definitely a recommended movie. Satire is SO hard to do right, and this one does is perfectly.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Glad to hear positive reviews on this one. I have been very interested seeing it from it's trailers.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Great movie... Totally not what I expected but I enjoyed it none the less....
                  -Joe

Comment

• dynamowhum
                    • Aug 2006

I sorry guys I just did not find this that good a flic. Maybe because I was expecting a gut wrenching comedy when in fact it was a lot closer to realy life. I was glad I only rented it.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"