X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digital desire
    • Dec 2006

Buttkicker owners beware!

My buttkicker picked up a smoking habit. I saw on a different forum some people had issues with them catching fire or smoking, but thought it was a once in a million sort of thing - until it happened to me.
    I was not even driving it hard, normal listening level when it smoked. A nice little flash, and a little atomic cloud above it. My wife was always nervous about it, but I insisted it was safe (I showed her the pics of the smoking one a while ago), and now she is giving me the silent I told ya so.
    Driving a single 4 ohm sub, it smoked. No help from the company, they did not even ask for a serial number to see if it was in the running for the known batch of bad ones. They only offered 25% off a different one.
    I ordered an ep2500 instead.

If you are using one of these units, please make sure it is out on its own, with nothing nearby. That way it can smoke by itself instead of inviting company.
    Personally, I think you should consider removing it. Just my opinion.
    Peter
    Syracuse, N.Y.
  • NEO Dan
    • Nov 2007

The Buttkicker comes from a long line of smokers
    Regards
    Dan

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

dang, nice looking outdoor grilling setup :T
      -Chuck

Comment

• CupCak3
        • Oct 2007

I saw many of these occurances (or at least enough to alarm me) over at AVS a year or so about while looking for sub amps. I bought the EP2500 instead.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Someone over at AVS popped the top off his and took pics. The soldering/assembly work was so terrible I couldn't believe it was actually a consumer product. A drunken child could have done better. It was obvious there was no automated assembly process (pick and place or insertion machines) involved anywhere in the board pictures he showed.

I would bet dollars to donuts these are sweatshop produced. I would never buy one of these after seeing the guts.

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Amphiprion
            Someone over at AVS popped the top off his and took pics. The soldering/assembly work was so terrible I couldn't believe it was actually a consumer product. A drunken child could have done better. It was obvious there was no automated assembly process (pick and place or insertion machines) involved anywhere in the board pictures he showed.

I would bet dollars to donuts these are sweatshop produced. I would never buy one of these after seeing the guts.
            Do you have the link?

I can't find it, I saw the pictures once but can't find them now... :roll:
            -Joe

Comment

• Amphiprion
              • Apr 2006

Sorry, it was a long while back...

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Aside from the QC issues, the amp performed rather poorly in Chuck's tests.

Comment

• digital desire
                  • Dec 2006

It is funny how this thing went from an internet sensation to "avoid" so quickly.

I remember when it first hit the scene, it was the a great buy! Now, I don't see how anyone would order one.

Do you think it fares better doing its intended role of shaking couches? That is the only reason I am cutting the manufacture a *little* slack. It was not intended for driving a sub. It just seemed so suitable at the time. Maybe the inductance of a shaker is nicer to it? Dunno.

At this point it might make a decent starting point for a amp project. Hey, I got a nice toroid, and a chassis. Just need time and motivation - and a reason.
                  Peter
                  Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

imho, I think that owners should have been cautious from the beginning. These amps were intended to power seat shakers, not subs. Using them for subs was already using them for something they weren't intended, and there is usually a little risk in doing that. I, like many, didn't think the risk was that great. Obviously, we were wrong.

You win some, you loose some.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Gir
                      • Dec 2006

It was obvious there was no automated assembly process (pick and place or insertion machines) involved anywhere in the board pictures he showed.
                      Actually what they do sometimes is place the components in and send it through a solder wave pool. Very cheap and messy way of doing it, but it gets the job done quicker than by hand.
                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Amphiprion
                        • Apr 2006

I'm familiar with wave soldering, but I was more referring to the fact it looked like all the leads were hand bent and stuck in as opposed to machine bent and inserted. It literally has to be seen to be believed.

Comment

• 1Michael
                          • Sep 2006

I have had one for over a year without any problems. There was a batch of these that the company found were bad and they have corrected the problem and my serial number is not one of the bad ones. If this amp was designed to move 2 pound pieces of metal up an down its good enough to move a sub
                          Sure they only output 740 watts at 14% distortion but for those of us that are financially challenged these are a respectable alternative until we can get something better. Dont let the naysayers scare you :T
                          Michael
                          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"