X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Dolby Digital full bit rate?

Hello All,

Does anyone have a list DVD's with the "full bit rates" for dolby digital sound? Kevin D has the list of "full bit rates" for DTS DVD's.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I don't believe that there were 'full bit rates' for dolby digital. Dolby Digital bit rate is 448 kbps.

Here's Dolby's chart on Digital plus what will be available on HD DVD and Blue Ray.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I was wondering, is the DTS list posted on our site? I can't seem to find it.

But with google, look what I found, a listing of DTS DVD's with their respective bit rates.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Interesting, Paul. Looks like HD-DVD is going to have the most audio options MANDATED. But Blu-Ray gives a higher max bit rate on normal Dolby Digital? I wonder two things:

- If the higher bit rate is going to be theoretical, and the highest DD you'll really see on Blu-Ray will be 448k like the other formats. (note that this is partially a moot point, as it will be an OLD format on the new discs, not one of the new high-res versions)

- If some of these audio formats will die a quick death, i.e. disc manufacturers may very quickly stop using MLP lossless, and put out Dolby TrueHD only. (do we NEED two "new" Dolby Digital high-res audio formats?)

I wonder what a similar chart would look like for DTS. Are *ALL* DTS formats going to be optional on all discs?
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I also noticed that HD DVD had a lot of audio that is "Mandatory" I wondered about the actual storage capacity on these HD DVD's. I recall that Blu-Ray had the superior storage capacity as well as throughput over HD.

I don't even know what MLP is for, by the chart it looks like it's mainly for audio? But that's another audio portion that takes up disc space.

I doubt you'll see Blu-Ray use the higher DD of 640k available for backward compatibility. Hmm, as I just wrote that, I thought of something. The ony way you can play a Blu-Ray disc is with a compatable player. So when it outputs the standard dolby digital, your basic A/V receiver will decode the signal. Now would there be any actuall difference between 448kbs vs 640kbs and would my old receiver be able to decode a 640kbs dolby digital signal?

My next question is, what kind of equipment do I need for this Dolby True HD? I'm guessing that I need to upgrade my receiver so that it will support Dolby True HD.
          Paul

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

The max bit rate for DD is 640. Dtheater has this. There should be a noticable difference over 448. 448 is better than 384 which is what Warner used alot for many dvds.
            Are *ALL* DTS formats going to be optional on all discs?
            On BR they are mandatory. Dolby true HD is optional there.
            My next question is, what kind of equipment do I need for this Dolby True HD?
            Either a receiver with HDMI V1.1 on upwards(using the Decoder in the player) or a receiver with the decoder and HDMI V1.3(due later this year supposedly).

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Actually, Paul, that's an interesting question. Will ALL Dolby Digital decoders and receivers be able to process the 640 DD rate?

I think virtually ALL of us will be using analog 5.1 or 7.1 inputs on our receivers or pre/pros with the new disc players for a while, until more new equipment comes online.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Will ALL Dolby Digital decoders and receivers be able to process the 640 DD rate?
                Yes as evidenced by those using DVHS decks. Those are 640K DD.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"