X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leef DaLucky
    • May 2003

Dune: Extended Edition

As a self-confessed Sci-Fi nut, I've been awaiting this release for some time. I managed to pick up a copy after work last night and dug right into it, after getting home.
    The extended edition was in all its glory just as i remembered seeing it years ago. There's so much extra plot/scenes in this you can't help but like it.
    PQ was excellent. It's presented in a 2.33:1 Anamorphic deal that was quite eye popping.
    The new 5.1DD mix was especially nice. The first time I heard "the voice" bounce around the surrounds, I couldn't help having this huge foolish grin on my face.
    I haven't got around to trying the original release or any of the extras, yet so i can't give any details..
    and here's why:

The bad...
    I'm afraid i have to take this disk back. This disk suffers from the cheap production ailments associated with most dvd-18's.
    By the time i got around 2hours in, it started skipping and freezing all over the place. My wife suggested i clean off the brand new disk, so i gave it a shot to appease her, but no-go.
    Indeed, a quick surf around the net this morning, and i see i'm not the only one in this situation.
    A couple of folks are having difficulties with this disk.
    On players ranging from zenith's to jvc's to panasonic's.
    I'm going to take it back anyways and try another disk or 2, just because i WANT this movie.
    I'll let you know how Disk#2 works out tonight.

An ongoing saga...
    "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
    -Dark Helmet
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Is this a new version out? 8O :P This one of my favourite all time movies (and series of books for that matter)

Who has more info!?!?! :P
    Jason

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
      • May 2003

Heya aud,
      Yep just came out yesterday.
      It's the extended edition that was shown on TV Oso many moons ago.
      I think it comes out to around 3.5 hours.
      LOTS of extra stuff (if you're accustomed to the regular vanilla version).
      Unfortunately, like i said. watch your step with this one.
      I was going to head over to futureshop tonight and see about another copy, but at this point, i'm just WAY to tired.
      I'll try tommorrow.
      Not that it matters a whole lot, anyways. There are people on their third and fourth try who are getting BS disks. Looks like the production run in Mexico was a little sloppy.

cheers,
      Mikey
      -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Hey , Aud! You a Frank Herbert fan? We may have to start a sci-fi literary forum....I also label the series among my favorites.100,000 years of political,religious ,economic , and physical evolution of a species I have a vested interest in.It's just a shame there have been so few well made sci-fi films that I tend to take what I can get. Sci-fi also makes for GREAT HT! :rx Nothing like an Imperial Cruiser with the sub turned up too high :banana:
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Yup :T There's so much "stuff" in that series of books I was amazed I could even squeeze it into my brain! :lol:

What did you guys think of the mini-series they did a fe years back?
          Jason

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
            • May 2003

Ok, a quick update.
            Stopped by the store, exchanged Disks.

And?

Nope.
            This one's screwed too. Exact same spot. 1h51m36s into the Smithee/Extended version. It failed on both my LG7832 AND my comp DVD drive.
            Skipped all over the place and eventually stalled both drives.
            I'm not going to bother with another return. I'm going to try to get a refund or some credit.

I'm all depressed now.
            guess I'll wait for HD-Dune.

I hope, if any of you picked this title up, you're faring better than I.

-Mikey
            -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

BTW, Aud, I'd have to say i was dissappointed in the recent miniseries that was out. The s/fx were bad. The acting was terrible. I DID like the fact that it covered more of the story line than the original theatrical release of Dune. But, now that the Smithee version is out, that argument is nullified. I din't bother with Children of dune etc. just because the first minseries left a bad taste in my mouth.
              There's just something about the sheer opulance of the DeLaurentis movie.
              Take a look at the sets, and the detail in this movie.
              The imperial throne room, Pauls bedroom, even the Ornithropter Cockpit.
              No one makes movies like this anymore without tossing in a CG effect in there somewhere to compensate.
              I have no idea how much money this cost to film originally but i'll bet it almost killed them. There's some real, old school craftmanship in this movie and it shows.
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Leef DaLucky
                BTW, Aud, I'd have to say i was dissappointed in the recent miniseries that was out. The s/fx were bad. The acting was terrible. I DID like the fact that it covered more of the story line than the original theatrical release of Dune. But, now that the Smithee version is out, that argument is nullified. I din't bother with Children of dune etc. just because the first minseries left a bad taste in my mouth.
                There's just something about the sheer opulance of the DeLaurentis movie.
                Take a look at the sets, and the detail in this movie.
                The imperial throne room, Pauls bedroom, even the Ornithropter Cockpit.
                No one makes movies like this anymore without tossing in a CG effect in there somewhere to compensate.
                I have no idea how much money this cost to film originally but i'll bet it almost killed them. There's some real, old school craftmanship in this movie and it shows.
                Agree with pretty much everything you said there. I didn't think the SFX/acting were as appalling as you seem to have but I certainly agree they weren't top notch (It was "made for TV" afterall). I definitely concur with your thoughts on the DeLaurentis version though :T
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"