X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

Starwars Revenge of the Sith dvd review

Well I have just finished watching Starwars ROTS on dvd. I wont bother going into the story as I'm sure most of you know whats its about. After being floored by the quality of Batman Begins on dvd, I had very high hopes that this dvd would better it but alas it doesn't in one department...SQ *Gasp :E . I will start with the positives and that is the PQ which is just amazing in every way possible with this format. Everything looks beautiful and clear with no artifacts or grain that I could see, mind you I'm not running a projector just a 57" Rear projection so I can only imagine what it would look like on a DLP or CRT high end projector. You wont be disappointed.

Now onto the SQ which was a mixed bag with this dvd IMO. This time the music has definalty taken the centre stage over the sound effects and bass has been tamed...yes tamed compared to the last 2 movies in the prequel trilogy. After the bass fest that was Batman Begins I thought ROTS had more than enough scenes where our subwoofers would be brought to there knees. Dont get me wrong there are some impressive bass moments but they are few and far between and where it is missing should have been there from what I remember from seeing it at the theatre. In particular the lightsabers have almost zero LFE in them now even when they connect theres no bass and the sound level has been toned down as the music overrides the effect. That was the biggest disappointment for me as I believe the lighsabers are characters in themselves and lets face it they are extremely cool to watch and hear. I just wish Lucas would keep everything the same and not change important things like that especially when the previous 2 movies had incrediable lightsaber sounds. Now onto General Grevious transportation (the vechicle he rides when fighting Obi-Won) which in the theatre was one of the most bass extensive scenes in the movie. Not so on the dvd the bass is simply not there even when it passes right on the screen theres no bass at all? Weird. The only time bass was used effectively was the start and at the end of the movie. As for the surround and overall soundstage well that cannot be faultered at all great stuff.

Here is an short post from Home Threatre forum explaining the reason for the differences with the lightsaber sounds b/w AOTC and ROTS:

"Don't know about the rest of you but I am deeply sadden that the EpIII 5.1 EX mix does not have deep bass for the lightsaber battles. I kind of remember in theater it sounded like they did but maybe because I was expecting it. I think that deep bass really drives the lightsaber battles as aggressive sound protraying that this is a dangerous,powerful weapon. I did some research and I discovered why this has happened. Tom Myers did the sound mix for EpIII as opposed to Gary Rydstrom who did them for Eps I & II. Gary's sound is more aggressive and powerful. Tom Myers also did the sound mix for the 2004 OT DVDs which is why the lightsabers sounds were not updated or as powerful. I personally think this kinda takes away from the movie's effect a bit. The soundtrack is probably fabulous but without much bass material which is a real shame for demo material".

Overall ROTS on dvd is a good watch from the outstanding PQ through to the big soundstage but one simply cannot ignore a wasted opportunity to really amaze us with deep punchy bass in key moments that was very much lacking IMO. I'm really looking forward to others opinions on this as I'm reviewing the Region 4 not Region 1 or 2 and I hope there aren't any differences. Enjoy
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

I'm really looking forward to others opinions on this as I'm reviewing the Region 4 not Region 1 or 2 and I hope there aren't any differences.
    "Bassed" (purposely misspelled) on your review, it "sounds" like there's one big difference those of us in Regions 1 & 2 can hope for. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Sithlord
      • Aug 2004

Well Unfortunaltly we cannot blame the regions this time as I have read alot of feedback from the US release and it's the same as ours. I should have mentioned that the Home Theatre post above is in fact a person living in the United States so it would be region 1 he is talking about. It looks like there are 2 camps in regards to the bass being taken away from the lightsabers so I guess some poeple are happy about it not being there and others are disappointed like me. Oh well

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Indeed, I have viewed this DVD and was unhappy with the LFE, I actually increased my Digital Sub setting to try and compensate. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with the SQ, (certainly not on Batman Begins level), however the PQ is sensational.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I'm watching it right now. Yes, PQ is very nice. While I don't think that the SQ is crap, I suppose it could be a bit better. There's plenty of bass in the final battle.

An opinion--DVD's have been trending more and more towards overuse of bass, Why? Because bass has appeal to the public masses. So they just keep cranking it up more and more. To me, ROTS seems to me to be pretty balanced, and any "lack of bass" really is just NON-OVERUSE of bass like other movies do. (i.e. LOTR had some awesome LFE in it, but it seemed to be going ALL the time. Got tiring)
          Last edited by Chris D; 02 November 2005, 01:10 Wednesday.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Like the bouncing ring of (sub 20Hz) POWER!?

No wonder Frodo was so tired by the end. That thing was heavy.

Don't get to watch this until next week when I come home from beautiful downtown Tokyo.

BB

Comment

• Sithlord
              • Aug 2004

Chris I would have to agree with you there. I can get tired of hearing bass throughout a movie like LOTR where it just gets overused. As I mentioned in my review there are some pretty impressive bass moments in ROTS but it should have been present with the lightsabers IMO as they are one of the best things in the Starwars trilogy and I loved the way they were done in the last 2 prequels. The music just drowns the sound effects of the LS to the point of not hearing them which is disappointing considering the final battle b/w Anakin and Obi-Won being such an important moment in the entire trilogy. But one cannot complain about the music though John Williams is a genious, it just needed to be more balanced to be perfect. Gee I'm not asking much am I

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Sithlord
                Chris I would have to agree with you there. I can get tired of hearing bass throughout a movie like LOTR where it just gets overused. As I mentioned in my review there are some pretty impressive bass moments in ROTS but it should have been present with the lightsabers IMO as they are one of the best things in the Starwars trilogy and I loved the way they were done in the last 2 prequels. The music just drowns the sound effects of the LS to the point of not hearing them which is disappointing considering the final battle b/w Anakin and Obi-Won being such an important moment in the entire trilogy. But one cannot complain about the music though John Williams is a genious, it just needed to be more balanced to be perfect. Gee I'm not asking much am I
                It cause you guys have two or three 15" subs!!! :B lol
                I love my little 8" Velodyne. I'm much more pleased than with the SVS ISD-12. Strong deep bass, but clean and fast so it doesn't over excurt (is that a real verb???). I think I'll rent it today.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

For me, I thought the bass was decent...nothing to write home about and while not equally as impressive as say Batman or something like The Haunting...it was good enough. It had that hint of "just enough" to it, where there could've been a little more.

My only complaint with the SQ is that the music definitely seemed to take center stage over everything else. I often found myself thinking, "Man I wish they'd turn down the music a hair and turn up the talking/effects." It was almost like trying to watch the movie through your TV speakers, while playing the soundtrack through your HT... That's the best analogy I can think of...though the effect did follow the onscreen action very well. Ships would fly in from the rear right and go across to the front left and what not and it all sounded good. Just felt during the quieter parts the music was so forceful. Don't know, tough to say...

Over all it's StarWars...it's basically what everyone expects!!

Audioqueso, 8" doesn't even classify as a sub! :P
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    Audioqueso, 8" doesn't even classify as a sub! :P
                    Ha ha! :x :B
                    Last edited by audioqueso; 03 November 2005, 11:56 Thursday.

Comment

• Nick M
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

I picked it up today. Hopefully I'll have time on Sat/Sun to give it a watch. I wasn't starstruck by it in theaters, but it's definetly going on the rack to complete the dual-trilogy!

I'll post my impressions once I get a chance to screen it.
                      ~Nick

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

I can understand why no one is talking about the plot. Lucas lost his touch as a story teller decades ago. But he sure hasn't dropped the ball on special effects. Generating those wowie-zowie images, he probably had more computers cranking away than the National Weather Service does mapping global weather trends.

Picture quality is sharp enough to focus your projector with it and know that you've hit the center point of sharpness -- so crystal clear the image is cartoon-like. But then the acting, albeit a notch above the previous two "prequels", invites that comparison as well.

The sound quality is first rate. If you really can't live without exaggerated bass, maybe playing the cannon sequences from Telarc's recording of Tchaikovsky’s "1812 Overture" during the fight scenes would help. But I don't miss heavy bass during the duel sequences. After all, they are using light sabers, not heavy artillery. :>) I think the sound track helps make the action more "believable" as-is.

On the whole, Episode 3 is a worthwhile addition to one's DVD collection because it makes the set complete, not because it is a great movie. Kind of like having every CD by your favorite artist even though the more recent ones aren't as good as the earlier ones that made them a STAR. (Hope that comment doesn't start any WARS.) :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I have not had the chance to see this one yet,Not too overly excited about it either. I used to be a Star Wars fanatic when I was a kid, but the newer films I think were overdone with the computer animation, it gave everything a clean glossy look. It made it real hard to believe in the characters. Sometimes, too much of a good thing is bad.
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Burke, I'd (mostly) disagree with you about the storytelling. Taken as a single work of film, I personally felt that the beginning half was okay, with some occasional hokiness, but the last half was pretty good telling a story.

However, I think the public focuses way too much on ANY film series as being a collection of several single works, instead of looking at it as a whole. (note: this is okay, the public can be interested in whatever they want... but I think the educated person can look at more than just "how much bling is in these 2 hours that I've turned my brain off") When you take a step back, and look at what the Star Wars ***SAGA*** (with emphasis) created in terms of story, an alternate universe with politics, religion, ethics, etc, etc... I think the result is phenomenal. George Lucas has IMHO created a storytelling saga that NO other film series in history has accomplished, especially in the manner of starting with the original trilogy then back-filling with the first three.

Any writer in such a case would be hard-pressed to write a film that kept the interest of viewers, telling a story to which everybody already knows the end result. But Lucas does it at the end of ROTS in a way that I think is perfect. I cried when the younglings died, I actually believed (this time) Anakin's final turn to the dark side. I finally understand the subtle twists of politics and truth manipulation that have been set up in the other 5 films. And the way Lucas told the story at the end of EpIII, I think, greatly enhances the next three films and gives MORE meaning to their stories. There now is so much more depth to Vader's redemption at the end of ROTJ. Many things have more significance.

Anybody that can add even more meaning to 20-30 year old films, regarded as global icons, just by telling a new story, gets an A+ in my book. Each SW film by itself gets varied grades from me, ranging from maybe a B or B- to an A. But I don't think the SAGA can get anything other than an A+. One critic summed it up best, in my mind:

"The Star Wars saga is a flawed masterpiece of genius".
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by audioqueso
                              excurt (is that a real verb???).
                              Exert, since you asked.

BB

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                Exert, since you asked.

BB
                                No, that's a different word. I meant excurt as from excursion (linear excursion). Thank you anyways.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

Well in that case, it would be excurse, but thatis not generally used in the sense you mean.

BB

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Apr 2001

An opinion--DVD's have been trending more and more towards overuse of bass, Why? Because bass has appeal to the public masses. So they just keep cranking it up more and more. To me, ROTS seems to me to be pretty balanced, and any "lack of bass" really is just NON-OVERUSE of bass like other movies do. (i.e. LOTR had some awesome LFE in it, but it seemed to be going ALL the time. Got tiring)
                                    Chris, excellent post here. I do admit I do like overcooked bass at times but this mix reminded me of what i heard at the theater. So honestly while I could be dissapointed due to my expectations(due to Ep II), I was pleased with the mix even though some are up in arms over it. I think expectations are in play here much like my own were in play to cause me some dissapointment.

Comment

• Nick M
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

I thought the soundtrack was great, and there were definetly some scenes that dug deep enough to get the infrasonics going on my SVS twins.

Still squirmed and flinched with the dialogue between Anakin & Padme though. Obi-Wan had a couple that made me roll my eyes too. Then there's the Vader/Buzz LightYear "NOOOOOOOOO!" :B

Still dissapointed with some of the effects being sub-Lucas quality as well.

Still, it has found a place on my DVD rack with the other five episodes.

It's kind of depressing. No more Star Wars, no more Lord of the Rings. I guess we still have Harry Potter, Narnia, and another Jones film to look forward to if you follow the multi-flick series.
                                      ~Nick

Comment

• Adz
                                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                        It's kind of depressing.... no more Lord of the Rings. I guess we still have Harry Potter, Narnia, and another Jones film to look forward to if you follow the multi-flick series.
                                        Isn't Peter making The Hobbit into a motion picture?
                                        Adz

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2001

Isn't Peter making The Hobbit into a motion picture?
                                          Supposedly but he is also being asked to make the Halo movie after Kong.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2000

I found I liked the PQ of this disc more than the 2 before it. It did not look as CG'ed to me and really pulled off the illusion for me.

I did not miss the ultra low or copious amounts of LFE, I suppose there were no real scenes that warranted it.

As for the story line, I like this one the most, however the whole Padamay and Anikin affair, I never liked how it was written, and the way that he flipped so quickly to the darkside was weak... Other than that.. not bad.
                                            Bing

Comment

• Pez
                                              • May 2004

While watching the movie I constantly checked to see if my sub was even on (which it was). I dont like excessive bass just for the sake of excessive bass but man did this movie lack any audible impact. As big as a Star Wars fan as I am and looked forward to the DVD release of ROTS I was fairly dissapointed in the SQ. I am sure for the majority of consumers none of this matters but for those of us that invest thousands in out HT system ROTS did not fully reach its potential (SQ only)

Comment

• draganm
                                                • Jul 2005

Well I'm kind of surpised by all the complaints about SQ and lack of bass. i'm guessing the people in this category actually have woofers installed in their couches to make them shake? :P I like bass, but it's mis-used in too many films, like a gimmick. I didn't find the SQ lacking, even in my heavily insualted basement HT I could feel the lightsabers in the wood floor upstairs, kind of like a foot message. Of course pic quality was very good, one of the best transfers ever IMO. i'm looking foward to Harry Potty as well, I heard they're making the last one ever. :T Other han that, nothing on the horizon to get too excited about. Judging by this years ultra-poor box office revenue's I doubt there will be any big budgets for future endeavors anyway. I sure hope thy make the Hobbit though, i'll even go to the public theare for that.

Comment

• mitch57
                                                  • Nov 2004

I don't get it. Most of you who have posted so far are raving about the picture quality. Both myself and a friend viewd this on two different displays and we found the picture to be quite grainy. We especially noticed this in, I believe, chapter 7. We each have our own DVD so I doubt it would be a bad disk.

What are most of you comparing the picture quality against to arrive at your conclusions? I'm not doubting or questioning what you are seeing on your displays, I just don't see the same picture quality that you all are seeing.
                                                  Mitch
                                                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                                                    I guess we still have Harry Potter, Narnia, and another Jones film to look forward to if you follow the multi-flick series.
                                                    Don't get too excited about Narnia. My friend and his coworkers at the studio are not wowed. They aren't fans of the books or anything, but say it is uneven and not particularly engaging. I'm hoping his lack of familiarity with the material will lead to my opinion being different, but usually doesn't go that way.

BB

Comment

• draganm
                                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mitch57
                                                      I don't get it. Most of you who have posted so far are raving about the picture quality. Both myself and a friend viewd this on two different displays and we found the picture to be quite grainy. We especially noticed this in, I believe, chapter 7. We each have our own DVD so I doubt it would be a bad disk.What are most of you comparing the picture quality against to arrive at your conclusions? I'm not doubting or questioning what you are seeing on your displays, I just don't see the same picture quality that you all are seeing.
                                                      I watched it on a 8" EM focus CRT front projector on a 7 foot wide screen. My front row (where I usually sit) is 9 feet away so I never miss any picture problmems. I don't know why you saw grain, I thought it was very sharp and smooth. Maybe it's your source? I'm running an HTPC- DVD ROMM drive through a Radeon 9600 card upsacling to 1440 X 960 @60Hz. This is exactly double native DVD rez. and gives almost zero artifcats. I compared it older but very high quality DVD's from the last few years, LOTR, SW Episode II, etc.

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

Don't get too excited about Narnia. My friend and his coworkers at the studio are not wowed. They aren't fans of the books or anything, but say it is uneven and not particularly engaging. I'm hoping his lack of familiarity with the material will lead to my opinion being different, but usually doesn't go that way.

BB
                                                        That's a little dis-heartening I was quite looking forward to seeing what the "Big Mouse" could do with the story....
                                                        Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2001

Finally watched Revenge Of The Sith last night. Very good PQ and I wasn't disappointed in the sound. Early in the film there are some flyovers and my pant leg was flapping, so the bass was definitely there. Maybe it lacked elsewhere but I am not a fan of overcooked bass anyway, so I was happy with what I heard here. Storywise...? Hey, it's Star Wars. As for the cgi, I do believe some of it here was poorly done, especially when Obi was riding that animal (?) and fighting the general. Poor cgi from Georgie is rather strange. Overall I enjoyed the 2hrs and 20 mins. Now, one of these weeks I am going to play the entire series, starting with episode one.
                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• ToddAnisman
                                                            • Apr 2005

someone here was mentioning the differencein the sound track on ROTS Vs. Clones. Here's something that contributed-

The Mix was done mostly in Pre-dubbs away from the actual Dubb-stage by the sound designers who created the sounds themselves. Additionally all the Mix was handled in ProTools 100% in the box. No huge Film Mixing consoles, no Huge racks of outboard gear etc. How does this change the sound? Well, what you're seeing is the lesser headroom of Digital vs. Analog, Plus a different mixer in Nelson vs. Rhydstrom. Keep in mind that Nelson was the Dialog mixer...

So chaulk it up to New Methodology and new systems...

peace,

-Todd A.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jun 2001

BB
                                                              Well, my wife saw this today and sez my "friend is full of crap".

She says it is top notch, and we will probably go see it again tomorrow with the kid. She is a fan of the books, and says the movie does them justice quite well.

Good news.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"