Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Star Wars DVD news

'Phantom Menace' DVD to be 8 hours long
    By PAUL CANTIN

Senior Reporter, JAM! Showbiz

"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" will finally materialize on DVD on Oct. 16 and, based on the pre-release hype, it'll be worth the wait.

Fans have been critical over the delay in bringing the May 1999 release to the booming DVD format, and a group of wanna-be filmmakers has even assembled their own alternative (some are claiming superior) version of the film, which is being sold through specialty stores as "The Phantom Edit."

But Lucasfilm Ltd. had stated the postponement was necessitated by creator George Lucas's desire to do justice to the film on the digital format, and that all will be right in the universe once fans lay their eyes on the DVD set.

"Enthusiastic fans of the film will be rewarded for their patience," Lucasfilm said in their statement at the official website (StarWars.com).

The double-disc set will feature a whopping six hours of bonus material, including "brand new visual-effects sequences executed just for the DVD release," bringing the entire program to 480 minutes.

Along with the expected THX mastering for superior sound and picture, the disc will feature audio commentary from writer-director Lucas and producer Rick McCallum, plus other technical people involved in creating the "Phantom Menace" look.

While there's no mention of a Jar-Jar delete feature, the disc also boasts:

-- Seven complete, never-before-seen deleted scenes.

-- A documentary entitled "The Beginning", chronicling the film's creation, drawn from over 600 hours of behind-the-scenes footage.

-- Multi-angle storyboard and animatic options that detail the making of complex effects scenes.

-- Five behind-the-scenes featurettes explaining the development of "The Phantom Menace" storyline, designs, costumes, visual effects, and fight scenes.

-- The "Duel Of The Fates" music video.

-- Twelve episodes of "Lynne's Diaries," the on-the-set documentaries that first appeared at StarWars.com.

-- Galleries of advertising material and unreleased production photos.

-- The original theatrical teaser trailer, the full trailer, and seven TV spots

• efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

We must be on the same wave-length...I just posted this under the video chat page! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

We must be on the same wave-length...
      that scares me

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

DVD: The Wait is Over
        June 19, 2001

On October 16, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will begin the worldwide release of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace on DVD. The highly anticipated arrival of Episode I marks the first film of the Star Wars saga to debut on DVD.
        Enthusiastic fans of the film will be rewarded for their patience. Clocking in at about 480 minutes in length, it features over six hours of additional bonus material, including brand new visual effects sequences executed just for the DVD release.

Here's what the two-disc set will feature:

The Phantom Menace, mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality, presented in Anamorphic Widescreen and Dolby 5.1 Surround EX (English), Dolby 2.0 Surround (English and Spanish), and Dolby 2.0 Surround (French, for Canadian release)
        Audio commentary by Writer-Director George Lucas; Producer Rick McCallum; Co-Editor and Sound Designer Ben Burtt; Visual Effects Supervisors Scott Squires, John Knoll and Dennis Muren; and Animation Supervisor Rob Coleman, offering personal insights into the making of the film
        Seven never-before-seen deleted scenes with full visual effects completed just for the DVD release
        "The Beginning" -- an all-new hour-long documentary culled from over 600 hours of footage offering unprecedented access inside Lucasfilm and ILM during the making of Episode I
        Multi-angle storyboard to animatic to finished film feature, that lets you flip through the various phases of development of key action sequences
        Five behind-the-scenes featurettes exploring The Phantom Menace's storyline, designs, costumes, visual effects and fight scenes
        The popular "Duel of the Fates" music video that debuted in 1999
        All 12 parts of the Lynne's Diaries, the web documentaries that first appeared here at starwars.com
        Galleries of theatrical posters, print campaign, and never-before-scene production photos
        Downloaded by millions from starwars.com, the original theatrical teaser and launch trailers, plus seven TV spots including the "tone poems"
        The two-disc set is priced at $ 29.98 in the U.S. and $ 41.98 in Canada.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
          • Aug 2000

About friggin' time. $30 bucks isn't too bad. Based on that I should be able to find it around the $20-$22 mark.

While there's no mention of a Jar-Jar delete feature
          That would be too good to be true...

Ken
          Ken

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

You should be scared Pratt...they broke the mold with me! For good reason....8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Will I buy it, YES!

But damn, that's pretty expensive just for a movie.

I expect to see stores littered with displays, mayhem and long lineups the night before for the midnight release, and of course the braggers that are lucky enough to get it before it streets. I'm hoping to be one of the braggers.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

E1 is great but what about the last three?????

Robbie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

actually the canadian price isn't that bad at all compared to the US price...not that I'm complaining

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Will I buy it ? No thanks.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

What no DTS?? No thanks :W

Bing
                      Bing

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

I got ThomasW the LD of TPM last year, when it came out; the sound track is one of the most awesome on disk I've ever heard (and that NOT on Thomas's IB subs...),

so meesa thinkin' uusa won't be missin a DTS audio track toos much.

If you don't have a high threshold for Jar Jar Binks tolerance, this isn't the movie for you, but I'm looking forward to the idea of having an anamorphic DVD transfer.

To each his own.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Greg Stone
                          • Aug 2000

I'm really excited about this, as I seem to be one of the few who will admit they really liked the movie (Jar Jar included). But I've always been a Star Wars fanboy, ever since that summer in '77. 8)

Also hoping this paves the way for the original 3 to be released on DVD. Next year will be the 25th anniversary of Ep 4, what a perfect time to send it to DVD! :B

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

That's great news!.

If the DVD audio is as good as the Laserdisc,,everybody is in for a real treat.

Bring it On!..
                            No more Japenese sub titles..Yeah!

Trevor
                            My HomeTheater S.E.
                            Sonically Enhanced
                            C5
                            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Jon, the DTS was just a lampoon at what a typical response might be... I'm not serious

I don't lose sleep over things like that, though others may

Bing
                              Bing

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Heck, I'll be happy if they use the same DD EX soundtrack that was used on the LD. Then I'll finally get to experience the pod race in something better than ProLogic (which is how I "experienced" it theatrically).

As for a Jar-Jar delete feature, won't there be deleted scenes that can be pasted back into the movie? Like the one where Jar-Jar gets sucked into the pod racer engine? And the one where Darth Maul slices Jar-Jar into ribbons? And the one where Anakin "accidently" blasts Jar-Jar into dust? Of course, like any cartoon character, Jar-Jar never dies, no matter what happens to him.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                My HT Site

Comment

• Markj
                                  • Aug 2000

From reading other articles, it seems that Mr. Lucas will release the Star Wars movies in chronological order. If that is true then be prepared to wait a long while for the original trilogy.

Comment

• efarstad
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jun 2001

I just preordered this baby along with the Jazzmasters Volume one CD (thanks Lex)...so I guess I'm a victim of the PR campaign! :B

I'm a huge Star Wars fan even though Jar Jar bugs!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                    E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Oh yeah, please remember, htguide doesn't get credit on Amazon orders UNLESS you use the click through.

Regarding the DVD? I would be happy with only a case, no DVD, haha. JK. Really Star Wars, the original would interest me more I think, and I didn't even see this at the theaters. I guess I am just an original sort of guys.

But I will at least rent it!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                      Doug
                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Mark-
                                        Next year is the 25th anniversary of Star Wars. I have a feeling we may see a special 25th Anni. edition in 2002 on DVD.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Markj
                                          • Aug 2000

George you are making me feel very old when you mentioned 25 year anniversary. I hope you are right about 2002.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

I'm just happy that the door is finally open to Star Wars on dvd. I know I will buy it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"