X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

StarWars is coming to DVD (maybe)

With much hesitation in printing an aint-it-cool report...I have to...it's StarWars after-all:

From http://www.darkhorizons.com reporting on Aint-It_Cool-News:
    Star Wars Trilogy (DVD): Its taken a while but at last its confirmed - the original trilogy is indeed officially coming to DVD in September next year. AICN has heard from sources at the Star Wars summit at the Presidio in San Francisco the other day where Lucasfilm gave a marketing presentation for "Episode III" and confirmed the disc releases and a few other new projects on the horizon: "The marketing timeline for Star Wars is as follows - This week, The Clone Wars, then the original Star Wars trilogy is being released September 2004, then Episode 3 teaser advertising begins in January of 2005, Episode 3 May 2005, Episode 3 DVD/VHS November 2005. One little fun fact - seems that they have TWO Star Wars television ideas floating around the ranch...one would be animation and the other - LIVE ACTION. These television projects would be in 2006".
    No word on whether the Original Trilogy will be truly original.

But there you go.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Frank T.
    • Oct 2003

If you think of "theatrical" as "original" you might be disappointed, 'Special Edition" only. On dvdfile.com you find access to the petition message board in favor of the original, theatrical versions (Please sign and tell all your friends about it).

Some of you might remember that the original official version for a DVD release was around 2005 or 2006, now there is a change.

To me it looks Lucasfilm didn't expect ANY HD-DVD format to arrive before 2005 or later - now the word is Fall 2004.

Ask yourself this: Would you buy a SW DVD (classic movies) in 2005 while you might already be using HD-DVDs?

Hence a DVD release on Lucasfilm's behalf seems mandatory. Once HD-DVD has received public awareness, people will not care that much about standard DVDs 8)

Frank T.
    Frank T.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Hey Frank,

I hate to be a naysayer and it's a little off topic...but I truely don't believe Joe Average is going to jump on the HD bandwagon the minute it's out.

1. It HAS to be backwards compatible...or you're gonna tick off a lot of people who have been building a collection.

2. There's a lot of people out there with 36" tubes (or smaller)or 34" Widescreens who will NOT see the dramatic difference of HD. Heck I've seen HD feeds on 65" widescreens and I have to admit, I wasn't running up with my credit card saying "put me in debt!".

Projector folks will see the biggest benefit and they ARE in the minority.

I personally will take whatever version of StarWars I can get...I don't mind the specials that much but I already signed the petition over half a year ago...do I think it'll make a difference? Honestly, No.

Lucas will do whatever Lucas wants to do. I respect him for that at least. I think we will see the originals eventually....my guess is that it will be in time to coincide with some other StarWars related project down the road that needs buzz generation. If it's a weak project, all the better for the ranch.

I think people are growing weery of "the Prequels" and that's why the schedule was moved up.

I have buddies who have loved StarWars all their life but aren't too excited about having to wait till 2005 for the final piece of the puzzle. With good movies like LOTR, Matrix(well that's sort of good, but it came in timely fashion), Spidey2 on the way, GhostRider, another X-Men...StarWars may be starting to lose it's significance as people grow a little tired, some begin to question what the point was. I'm rambling I guess but I enjoy the first 3 so much I'll take altered StarWars over no StarWars any day...simply my opinion of course

cheers

Gordo

"A RONSTER!"
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Frank T.
        • Oct 2003

Hi Gordon,

you argue from a common sense point of view and you are right.

However, remember in which video format SW I first got out? VHS
        People were asking for a DVD but were entrapped into buying VHS first (well, I got myself the Japanese LD).

With the SW franchise in decline, it could seem LFL becomes aware that they'd better be advised not to do the same mistake twice - Nobody can foretell the market penetration of HDTV TV sets in 2005 or 2006 (the scheduled DVD release date).

What just stroke me, was, that the LFL statement just got round a couple of weeks after the format wars (HD-DVD) had been ended (when Sony, Philips and Matsushita aka Panasonic agreed to one format). Coincidence?

I disagree with your pessimistic statement (regarding the petition). A friend forwarded me an official Lucasfilm response, according to which, they had come "to notice the petition with interest".

NOTICE THE PETITION WITH INTEREST! Now that takes a lot to get THAT kind of reaction from LFL, they have noticed (thank you, Massa Lucas) and taken an interest (hmm...is it Christmas, Easter Day, St. Patricks all together, somebody pince me, I must be dreaming!) - thanks to people like you and me which had cast a vote.

Here we have a saying: 100,000 people think for themselves "I can't change a thing". Alone it is unrealistic, together with brothers-in-arms it is an attainable and realistic goal, IMHO.

Frank T.
        Frank T.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The Rumor Mill over at The Digital Bits had this up on their November 6th page. I'll take whichever version I can get, but I really want to be able to choose which to watch via seamless branching (at least). I know, I know - wishful thinking.

Han shot first, dammit! :2guns:

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Original theatrical version availability notwithstanding, the "announced" release will probably not be the '90's special editions either. Lucas has and is doing further reworks to the OT, and has even shot some scenes of the Ep I-II-III cast to use as flashbacks (Natalie Portman discussed the shooting of one intended for Jedi in one interview).

So expect some new stuff in these beyond trigger happy Han, Taun-taun munching Wampas and screaming plummeting Luke. As well as alot more SFX reworks.

By the way, I am in the "take whatever I can get" group too. Every few months I break down and watch my VHS version on the 10' screen, but man is it ugly. And yes I will buy multiple versions and then repurchase on HD format when that comes out. It is inconceivable to me to think of doing otherwise.

BB

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

I've already got the version I want on laser disc (the original theatrical releases) and they look just fine via my projector on a 10 foot diagonal 16:9 screen. (I also have the VHS edition, but that box set is serving as a bookend, and will continue to do so.) :>) So far they have shown NO sign of laser rot, and I hope they will continue to last intact.

Having seen the originals in their initial theatrical runs long ago in a galaxy far, far away, :>) and having subsequently enjoyed them at home again and again, I was appalled at the changes when I saw the "Special Editions" in the commercial theater a few years ago. So unless Lucas coughs up the "real orginals" on spectacular looking and sounding DVDs, I simply do not need to reinforce his self-indulgence by buying editons I do not like.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I've already got the version I want on laser disc

Braggart.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Even though I already have my SW DVD's, I'll be happy when they finally come out with the official release. There is absolutely no reason why they can't put the original version as well as the reworked on the same discs. They did it for T2.

ht_addict

Comment

• ht_addict
                    • Dec 2002

DP

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I have the Laserdisc THX Dolby Digital box set of of all three of the first SWs and wil hold onto it even if I buy them on dvd when they are released because it may be the only way to see them the way they were in original theatrical release.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"