X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Wow Chris, your were on a roll. "Very passionate, were you."

I saw E3 on Saturday and I plan to see it again on Wednesday. I too agree with your positive and negative observations, and Nicks also. So, it doesn't bear repeating here.

However, E6 is still tops for me and for reasons that were driven by the story. Luke's coming of age, the revelation of the Twins, the redemption of Vadar, seeing the "power" of the Dark Side and witnessing the power of good over evil.

E3 being the antithesis of E6 should place it in the same rank for me but it doesn't. Mostly because of some of the cheesy senes already mentioned but the story was good, nonetheless.

Here's how they rank for me...

Episode VI - :5:
    Episode V - :4:
    Episode IV - :3:
    Episode III - :4:
    Episode II - :3:
    Episode I - :3:
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

One other cornball CG effect I'd like to mention that a friend reminded me of.

In the Dooku/Jedi fight at the beginning where Obi-Wan is knocked unconscious a wall is tipped over on him and a very poor interaction between the two takes place. Quiite dissapointing, and at a level that is below amateur.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

There is absolutely no chemistry between he and Portman
        That was pretty much my wife's quote as well. In fact she went further to say that the courtship in EpisodeII was better played out than in Episode III. His passion for her just doesn't come across as well as it should.

Nic, I hear you on episodeI. I think it faltered in areas namely, it tried to present so many concepts and setups in one movie that the universe and ideas were almost too vast (that and the whole Jar-Jar thing was a mistake, no matter how "critical" Lucas *claims* he was to the second story....the necessity of Jar-Jar could have been replaced in an infinite number of better ways). That said, (ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip....*donning flame suit*)

I'm in the minority who enjoyed Jake Loyd.I thought he was a good pick as an innocent little 8 year boy who was afraid of nothing. I saw him as a typical kid with a lot of spunk. The role didn't call for the talents of Haley Joel Osmat (I'm sorry it didn't)....his (with almost certainty) superior acting protrayal, just would not have been right for the role. It needed that crass acting performance that just fit with StarWars's previous actor selection. Mark Hammil was never a great actor, but he was paired against good actors (doing what they could with slightly hammy dialogue) like Sir Alec Guiness and Harrison Ford (who nails the rogue pilot role and is one of the highlights of ESB).

Same with EpisodeI. Liam Neeson is solid as Qui Gon as is Ewan McGregor (though he gets progressively better with each movie). Portman shines in I and II and then is relegated down to a bit part by III (which is weird considering how integral she is to the story).

Personally, I've always found Return the Jedi weaker than most. I don't know why so many people rate it so high on their list of Star Wars movies. Jabba and the whole Han stuff rescue stands out and the Luke/Vader conflict at the end is great but the whole middle act/ ewok stuff never gelled for me (and a large portion of the movie hinges on that subplot). Same with the battle at the end.... the stuff with Lando just doesn't pump me up like the original battle in StarWars (ANH). Sure it's bigger and techincally more advanced than the other 2 movies but it just doesn't have the energy/ intensity of the first, because, the first was, well, the first I guess.

Just my take.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Rebelman, a reverse episode rank-order!

The more I think about it, the more Episode VI ROTJ is enhanced in story and meaning by Episode 3 ROTS, now. There's a nice comparison and similar themes.

In 3, Vader is damned, he believes by killing his wife. In 6, he is redeemed by saving Luke.

In the same manner, it now takes all the way until the last 10 minutes of episode 6, but Anakin DOES fulfill the prophecy, bring order to the Force, and end the reign of the Sith. It's just not in any manner that any of the characters predict.

I think there's unspoken inner dialogue and conflict in Vader in Episodes 4-6, but ESPECIALLY 6, that now has much more significance due to the struggle and manner in how Vader fell to the Dark Side in 3. Like I said, they didn't just flip a switch and *poof*, he's a bad guy. He has some good intentions that are twisted and is seduced by temptation. Luke in 6 even says, "I sense the good in you, father". Vader then tries to bluster "You are too late". But right at the end, after Luke and Vader battle and Vader lies exposed for the kill, the conflict begins again. The Emporer says "Strike your father down, and take his place at my side". Vader then knows that he has been used and lied to all along, just like he saw happen to Dooku when Palpatine directs Anakin to kill him. As Vader watches the Emporer fire lightning into Luke, it now seems to be VERY reminiscent of Anakin watching the Emporer kill Windu. The first time, he chose wrong. But now he redeems himself by making the OTHER choice and kills the Emporer instead.

Now that you've seen 3, go back and watch 4,5, and ESPECIALLY 6. There's new significance.

Hey, does nobody know the answer to what becomes of the clone army? How do we go from clones in 3 to non-clone stormtroopers in 4?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

Interbreeding.

B

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
              The more I think about it, the more Episode VI ROTJ is enhanced in story and meaning by Episode 3 ROTS, now.
              I completely agree with you, as far as the story line goes. However, when the two episodes are compared to each other based on their merits alone, I find Episode VI better overall. Episode III wasn't necessary for Episode VI to be. However, now that it is, I do have a better appreciation and understanding of Episode VI which as you said makes it that much better (ranking).

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

VI has been my favorite since I saw the original trilogy. I still like it the best.

When Luke surrenders to Vader and they walk in the hallway together you can feel the tention. It's a fantastic film about G vs E, and the fact that its never too late to change. Their final battle scene is "epic" in cinema history as far as I'm concerned.

I love the humorous characters such as Jar Jar and the Ewoks as well (and R2-D2 with his "brrrrawwwaahhooooo" screams :rofl: ).

If a character is meant to be humorous, then cool. I thought the Emperor was meant to be the darkness of a blackhole, but apparently Lucas meant for him to be a Batman Villain relative to The Penguin, or perhaps Mr. Freeze given his acting and makeup...

"Anakin...I'm too weak, I... I... I... wait theres pineapple on my forehead...
                ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Whoa... I think that guy's my boss.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• i_amadeo
                    • May 2005

chris d..

i have to give credit for brandon b for the information ..although i new about it ( i saw a few chapters on cartoon network last year...but totaly forgot about it....thank you brandon for this important reminder....that is after ep 2 you have to see......the cartoon network three season of CLONE WARS...i downloaded them lately from kazaa and they are the greatest .....i realy understood alot of some missing detail ...and i have to say you forget you are watching a cartoon it is that good .....i am telling you you will understand alot from it....
                    i will say again you will understand alot...from watching clone wars please do and thank brandon b .....
                    Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:11 Monday.
                    come into the light

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
                      Hey, does nobody know the answer to what becomes of the clone army? How do we go from clones in 3 to non-clone stormtroopers in 4?
                      I may have missed something, but how do we know they aren't clones? Also, remember that there is a gap of 17-18 years - as Luke and Leia grow up - from EP III to EP IV, so lots of things could have changed.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

And what about Jedi Master Siphodias (spell?) and the information that was missing from the Jedi Archives (from Episode II)? I thought Episode III was suppose to tell us something about these. Did I miss it?

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

It was mentioned in EPII that Syphadias (sic?) was killed years - 15 maybe? - earlier and it was implied - at least to me - that he was responsible for removing the system from the archives so that it couldn't possibly be found. Maybe one of the hard-core types will fill us in. . . .

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                            It was mentioned in EPII that Syphadias (sic?) was killed years - 15 maybe? - earlier and it was implied - at least to me - that he was responsible for removing the system from the archives so that it couldn't possibly be found. Maybe one of the hard-core types will fill us in. . . .
                            I know, that's what they "said" that they thought he died. But did he really? I mean was that all??? I find it puzzling that GL would go to all that trouble and then leave it open ended like that. According to Episode II he (Syphadias) was the one responsible for ordering the clones. But why??? I think there is more here than meets the eye. Maybe he was responsible for the archives also but I don't want to assume that. Help!!!

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Its a setup for VII, VIII, and IX, the ones Lucas says he won't be making...

...but his successor will! :B
                              ~Nick

Comment

• i_amadeo
                                • May 2005

i hope the movie stays as is and no "successor " does anything to destroy the whole epic.....terminator 1....... ...Ok
                                terminator 2...... ....0k
                                terminator 3 ......... i wish it never happend
                                come into the light

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                  • Dec 2004

I've never seen anybody complain that the Sith are never mentioned in IV-V-VI, when they would have been if the episodes had been shot chronologically.
                                  You never even hear of qui gon jinn, an he was a revered friend and master of obi wan, or mace windu being a bass ass mofo either, or vaders one true love padme! Or evil apprentices of the past like maul an dooku, an greivous either. I think lucas might have dreamed up the whole story back in the 70's but he didn't have the details of the depth of the story worked out then. And thank God they weren't. If Episode I had come out in '77, there might not have been any more!
                                  Quotes from
                                  The Matrix Reloaded

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your ass with silk. I love it.

http://www.myspace.com/bamaredwingsfan19

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Yeah, can you imagine what the pod race would have looked like with the special effects of the late 70s? lol
                                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Ugh, I'm thinking something along the lines of the "Dukes Of Hazzard". . . . :gah:

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Feb 2002

Jedi Master Siphodias
                                        Here's what I could find:

Sifo-Dyas

Right now I'm reading Labyrinth of Evil the star wars novel that leads right up to the events of Episode III. Anyway, part of the book is the first official revelation of who Sifo-Dyas was and how the clones were ordered.

Note- This is all told from Dooku's point of view, so it is very possible he was partly deceived.

Anyway, Dooku as a Jedi had always been way too interested in the dark arts. But after the death of Qui Gon, he is contacted by Sidious and begins to truly learn the ways of the Sith, while remaining a Jedi. He begins to talk much to Master Sifo-Dyas, who also has some dissatisfaction with the Jedi Council and the Republic.

Sifo-Dyas does actually order the clone army, not anyone else under his name. Sidious learns of this, and orders Dooku to kill Sifo-Dyas as his Sith "trial", hide the evidence from the Jedi by wiping Kamino out of their records, and recruit Jango Fett to be the template for the army.

I'm not quite done with the book, but it's a definite must read if you're a spoiler head.

Comment

• Neal_C
                                          • Feb 2003

I am going tomorrow night to see ROTS at the Cinemark Legacy here in the Dallas area. It is a DLP theater. This will be my first trip to a DLP theater, so I'm hoping for a good show.

I will come back and read this thread after I watch the movie.

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Neal_C
                                            I am going tomorrow night to see ROTS at the Cinemark Legacy here in the Dallas area. It is a DLP theater. This will be my first trip to a DLP theater, so I'm hoping for a good show.

I will come back and read this thread after I watch the movie.
                                            Please come back an report on how much of a difference in picture an sound quality there is between the DLP, an a regular theatre. Where i live we have one in birmingham, thats about 45 miles away, i have seen the movie 2 times already at the local theatre, an i want to know if its worth the time an trouble to go see it again at a DLP theatre
                                            Quotes from
                                            The Matrix Reloaded

Merovingian: I love French wine, like I the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language. Especially to curse with. Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère. It's like wiping your ass with silk. I love it.

Comment

• bamaredwingsfan
                                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Gordon Moore
                                              Here's what I could find:

Sifo-Dyas

Right now I'm reading Labyrinth of Evil the star wars novel that leads right up to the events of Episode III. Anyway, part of the book is the first official revelation of who Sifo-Dyas was and how the clones were ordered.

Note- This is all told from Dooku's point of view, so it is very possible he was partly deceived.

Anyway, Dooku as a Jedi had always been way too interested in the dark arts. But after the death of Qui Gon, he is contacted by Sidious and begins to truly learn the ways of the Sith, while remaining a Jedi. He begins to talk much to Master Sifo-Dyas, who also has some dissatisfaction with the Jedi Council and the Republic.

Sifo-Dyas does actually order the clone army, not anyone else under his name. Sidious learns of this, and orders Dooku to kill Sifo-Dyas as his Sith "trial", hide the evidence from the Jedi by wiping Kamino out of their records, and recruit Jango Fett to be the template for the army.

I'm not quite done with the book, but it's a definite must read if you're a spoiler head.
                                              Im interested in reading some of the star wars novels, an i would like to know what you would recomend i read. With that said, i would love to read more about storys that happen between episode1 an episode6, an after episode6 as well.
                                              Quotes from
                                              The Matrix Reloaded

Comment

• Neal_C
                                                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by bamaredwingsfan
                                                Please come back an report on how much of a difference in picture an sound quality there is between the DLP, an a regular theatre. Where i live we have one in birmingham, thats about 45 miles away, i have seen the movie 2 times already at the local theatre, an i want to know if its worth the time an trouble to go see it again at a DLP theatre
                                                I will come in here and report on the quality of the DLP, but I don't have a very recent reference to compare it to as I haven't been to a theater to see a movie in over a year, maybe longer. I'm fairly patient, so I just wait for it to hit DVD and watch it at home. But since some buddies are going, I'll take the trip to the theater this time

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

David, the timing of Dooku, Qui-Gon, Sifo-Dyas, etc, seems a little off. That all happened after the death of Qui-Gon?

The simplistic answer I've heard guessed online is that the names of Sifo-Dyas and Sidious are just too similar. That Darth Sidious WAS Sifo-Dyas before falling to the dark side. (or before faking his death) I'd have to think now with Episode III to see if that's even a possible answer.

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                  I may have missed something, but how do we know they (stormtroops) aren't clones? Also, remember that there is a gap of 17-18 years - as Luke and Leia grow up - from EP III to EP IV, so lots of things could have changed.
                                                  David, if Lucas indicated that the Stormtroopers were clones, that would be one thing, although we would wonder why the different uniform appearances and otherwise? But the thing is, in the latest revision of the original trilogy and release on DVD, Lucas specifically dubbed the voice of Jango Fett over Boba Fett, indicating that yes, he was a true clone of Jango. He made several other distinct changes like this too for like reasons. But he specifically did NOT change the individual voices of the Stormtroopers, indicating that they are NOT clones, but real individual people. There's variety in Stormtroopers, too, such as height, which the clone warriors don't have.

If it were just one character from Episodes I-III that doesn't show up in 4-6, it could be explainable that they just don't make it or are replaced. But we're talking over a MILLION characters of the clone army that suddenly disappear and are replaced with an entire Stormtrooper army.
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

This is cute, posted elsewhere here in the Guide. "Grocery Wars" video.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

HAHA! Cool! :T
                                                      ~Nick

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Feb 2002

My take was that the StormTroopers were the CloneTroopers just with updated armour. Though it's curious he never "corrected" the stormtrooper voices but made corrections to Bobba Fett. :scratchhead:

As for books, I'm not a good source. I've only ever read Splinter of the Minds Eye and that was many moons ago. You have to be careful about which expanded universe books you pick....as they take things in interesting directions I hear.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Hey Gordon, I read the same book many years ago also.

Comment

• Neal_C
                                                            • Feb 2003

So, I saw the movie last night at the Cinemark Legacy here in Dallas, which is a DLP theater. Even though I have nothing to really compare it to (haven't seen ROTS in a regular theater and haven't been to the theater in over a year) I thought it looked fabulous. I think my favorite scenes for graphic detail were the face shots of Yoda. They were really crisp and clean and for being hundreds of years old he didn't look to bad up close

If you have a DLP theater near you, I would definitely consider giving this a viewing there. :T

Comment

• i_amadeo
                                                              • May 2005

The longest yard made number one ...and starwars ROTS dropped to number 2 ...that was fast ...i expected it at no 1 for atleast another weak ..dumb comedies are a dime a dozen
                                                              come into the light

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

I wouldn't be surprised if that reverses again, though, with Longest Yard plummeting. It's only getting 1 star ratings. Not a good movie, and I won't bother seeing it personally.
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Neal_C
                                                                  • Feb 2003

Why is it that people put so much stock in what someone else thinks about a movie? It is like having someone think for you...

I have never and will never listen to a movie review that someone else gives. They are free to voice their opinion, but it will never have an influence on me and my decision to see a movie.

The Longest Yard is being shown in DLP as well. I may just make the 45 minute drive out to see it as well.

Comment

• i_amadeo
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

i am so sick of these comedies i wouldnt even see it on pay tv...
                                                                    .madagascar # 3 ....veery inteeeeresting year...will war of the wolds debute at #4..hmmm
                                                                    come into the light

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

True, true, Neal, I think the same things. However, having seen the original Longest Yard and the style that was put into it, I was rather turned off by the trailers that I saw for the past few months. The reviews just confirmed what the trailers were suggesting to me.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"