• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Lemony Snicket's ASOUE

Rented It.

It started out great. Everything was on course until Jim Carrey appeared on screen. His acting was a little too over the top with too much plastic. It was almost like a Tim Burton film on steroids. It certainly wasn't terrible though, and I never felt like shutting it off. I won't be buying it though.

:3: out of :5:
    ~Nick
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

My son read the series, so we made the trek to the theater to view it. When he was dissapointed with it I decided it wouldnt be a purchase although I didnt mind it. I just know that other than me know one would care to see it again.
    Last edited by Foxman; 30 April 2005, 10:33 Saturday.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Strange show, enjoyable, however writings like this tend to annoy me where the Children are never listend to and they don't take action into there own hands.

My daughter tells me there is 12 books in the series, so is it 12 books of the children encountering unfortunate event after event withthe count as the perpetual antagonist? :Z :tired:

Probably the thing I adnired the most in this DVD was the creativity of the people that designed the sets, or storyboards. It always amazes me that people are this creative :T
      Bing

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Watched this Saturday night...

Yup the sets were great :T Nick I too kept thinking Burton's name should have had an honourable mention in the credits :lol:

The picture was great with tons of deep inky blacks to test that end of your system. The monochrome-biased picture also helps the few colours really pop when they do show up on screen. Sound was likewise quite impressive, I'd say the train and storm scenes where standouts soundwise but the whole film had nice ambience, subtle surround effects, pleasing score and clear dialogue.

The story however was just "ok" IMO. It was entertaining enough and certainly never bored but it just wasn't hugely engaging or compelling. I for one liked Carey's performance, as it is a children's book and the character was meant to be over the top and outrageous IMO. Not to mention the character himself is an "actor". The children all played their roles well and were quite likeable as also.

I want to give this movie 4 stars from the soundtrack, picture, sets etc and the mood it almost created but that's where it fell short for me. It almost created that mood, it almost sucked you in, but never quite got there. I always felt I was watching a movie instead of being enveloped in the story and feeling a part of it like great movies do.

:3: out of :5: for me as well. Certainly worth a rental if you/your kids are fans or you tend to like similar subject matter. Purchase... only for fans IMO
        Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I think I'm too old for the subject matter so I passed. As for Carrey, well there are times I can take him and times I can't.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

This is one case where I couldn't take Jim... :roll:
            ~Nick

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"