X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Miami Vice: Season 1

I was reluctant to pick this up due to some so so reviews and I cant' say that I was their biggest fan.

That has all changed since I decided to say "What the heck" and pick me up a copy. The music intrigued me..

Anyway here goes:

The packaging is a slip case on the outer while it has a nice fold out on the inside. You get a 3 disc set but the 3 discs are double sided and so far appear to be dual layered so 3 dvd 18's. I'd preferred they went with 6 single sided discs...

Starting up the first disc you come to a forced trailer section you can bypass with the menu button. The menus are not motion menus(thank god).

Video quality: Variable at best. Sometimes its outstanding, sometimes its not. They appear to be rather smooth images but soft which reflects the overall look of the show. They could have restored it but its decent now. Some print scratches are evident from time to time but overall I can't complain.

SQ: This is the revelation and worth it by itself. Hearing Phil Collins scream out "In the Air Tonight" is a revelation by itself in 5.1 surround. The sound and music are not often played thru the surrounds so its a mostly front heavy mix.

Extras: havent' viewed them yet.

Nevertheless, this set is a winner
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, it was the music from that series that got me hooked. In fact, I heard BROTHER IN ARMS for the first time on Miami Vice and went out and bought everything I could find of Dire Straits. I don't usually buy DVD packaged tv series but I'm thinking I just may pick up Miami Vice.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

George or anyone who is watching...

I'm up to the 2nd disc. PQ is variable at best. SQ is first rate for the music portion.

There are some oddball cameos though and all interesting..

Bruce Willis as a wife beating gun dealer.

Dennis Farina as a kingpin of gambling..

Jimmy Smits as Don Johnson's original partner.

Then there is the music. Hearing Phil Collins belt out "I don't care anymore" at reference level is something of beauty.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Bruce Willis... yeah, I remember that episode. Thanks for the update on PQ and SQ. Couldn't find the set locally so I may have to have it ordered in.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"