X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOY DIVISION
    • Aug 2004

Saw

I rented this movie today, and it made "Seven" look like a little girl, it's so creepy! 8O 8O and ohh! it comes in DTS. :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I'm looking forward to this.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

I didnt think it was out yet.
      IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Foxman
        I didnt think it was out yet.
        If you're from Los Angeles, you've seen the DVD by now.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Looking forward to seeing Saw, :lol: .

DTS, I'm interested :T .

How is the PQ and SQ on the DVD?

Is it a rental or keeper?

These are the questions I ponder.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Looking forward to this films "official" release... :T

I have a shelf for certain DVDs that I rate at :45: +
            Seven is on this shelf. While I'm not expecting Saw to have the same intelligent artwork as Seven, it does look promising. When is Saw's official release date?
            ~Nick

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
              Looking forward to this films "official" release... :T

I have a shelf for certain DVDs that I rate at :45: +
              Seven is on this shelf. While I'm not expecting Saw to have the same intelligent artwork as Seven, it does look promising. When is Saw's official release date?
              Tuesday, February 15th.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• JOY DIVISION
                • Aug 2004

One thing to wait on is the Directors Cut, I hope it comes out. There were some scenes that they didn't have enough juice like the last part, when he had the.............to free himself.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

The movie is decent on DVD. The PQ is pretty good...with the way they do the lighting and the little bit off focuse on some scenes, it gives you that unclean and dirty feel to the film that all good horror flicks need!

The sound quality...the DTS and DD 5.1 tracks are pretty similiar, the big problem I had with the film is the voices (which are firmly planted in the center channel, no real panning), but for me it seemed hard to hear what was being sad at points. I found myself constantly turning the volume up and down throughout the movie (which I hardly if ever do with other movies). The surrounds are used throughout the film pretty good, but I found myself wanting to turn them down a couple dbs (maybe to compensate for the trouble I had with the dialog)??

Anyways, it was over all decent...I just wish the sound engineers would've done a better job....
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Adz
                    • Jan 2004

Any one else see this one yet?
                    Did my weekly Bestbuy Drive-by but didn't pick SAW up yet -- wanted to hear what you all had to say?
                    Adz

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

I hear, either you love it or hate it....so on that advice I'm going to rent first. But it has debuted at such a low price that (if good) I'll probably purchase. It really doesn't sound like this will get a special directors cut since the filming schedule was so tight.

Saw2 is already greenlit so you never know, but I suspect any further releases will probably be a re-hash witha coupon to see Saw2....since that's what studios like to do lately.
                      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Saw

Bought It. I was sucked in by the fantastic case it comes in.

Definetly won't go as far as saying it was better than Seven. Seven is in a completely different orbit than this movie. Definetly enjoyable, although I thought some parts were almost boring or simply not needed. Some of the acting was poor, and the soundtrack wasn't the best. I really enjoyed the ending. The premise that people were being punished because they were "Morally Wayward" wasn't developed, and just mentioning this shows its influence from the all-mighty Se7en.

I don't regret that I purchased it, but you might want to rent this one first.
                        (IMHO)

:3: out of :5:
                        ~Nick

Comment

• Adz
                          • Jan 2004

Thanks guys.
                          Is it time we made Nicholas our 'unofficial' official DVD reviewer?
                          Adz

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

IMHO, Saw just couldn't hold a candle to Seven. Like Nicholas said, the acting is pretty poor and the killer's motive just wasn't developed enough for me. Seven had a much more believable plot, and the good acting and direction to boot. Saw had some creepy moments and it was an okay 90 or so minutes, but it's a one time watch for me.

And yes, Nicholas is doing a great job of adding interest to DVD Director. The more reviews ( or comments ) on dvd releases the better. Already I have seen movies mentioned here that I would probably have not been aware of otherwise.

So thanks and keep it up all you wonderful posters.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• CJ Paul
                              • Oct 2004

I picked this up blind on a friends recomendation. He said it was possibly the scariest movie he has ever seen. I have a love hate relationship with scary movies, because I like the plots, but I'm a big puss and hate the make you jump kind of crap they do. I thought The Ring was good and VERY scary and in fact, while The Grudge wasnt very good, it also totally scared the crap out of me. Hell, Blair Witch scared the crap out of me. Any way, so he convinced me I HAD to watch this. So I pick it up, and settle in in front of the 32" screen upstairs, with no stereo system connected in the middle of the day instead of going down to the pitch black basement with the 96" screen and surround sound. I thought it was not scary at all. I was totally stumped. My friend cant explain why he thinks it was scary. He points out the creepy parts, but they didnt scare me. We decided it must be because I get scared by the cheapy crap like soft music and then a loud crescendo and a gruesome face taking up the whole screen, which is not what this movie is about.

Any way, its like Se7en in the sense that I dont think its supposed to be scary but its not as good.

Comment

• Foxman
                                • Jan 2003

I like the movie a lot better than I thought I would. We finaly settled in for a view last night and was impressed with sound and thought they did a great job of pulling of the biggest surprise of the movie but I wont give that away. Anyway, I was satisfied, not scared but satisfied. It is a pretty twisted movie though and as far as being twisted I'd say it's about as twisted as anything out.

To say it ranks up there with 7 would be a long shot as has been said, but that has a lot to do with the acting. If this movie had the acting that 7 did then who knows.
                                IMO

My Movies
                                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I watched a DVD that a friend owned... liked it. Strange at parts, and could have been better, but I liked it. I NEVER would have guessed the plot twist.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Finally got around to watching this tonight since my wife was out of town :W

I could see why this movie wasn't that scary on a small screen without surround sound as those two components were very well done in SAW. I actually thought about the twist early on and although it wasn't on my mind it didn't surprise me. As mentioned above its not Se7en but its still a good movie in its own right.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"