X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Q45
    • Nov 2007

Saw Type Opinion

Alright, another stupid question. But I'm that secure with myself so whatever.

Buy a table saw?

Or possibly a radial arm saw.

I used to have a radial arm saw and if you needed a table saw, you just pull the saw out, turn it, and lock it in. It basically acted the same way.

It's just with a radial arm, it seems like you can do a lot more, no?

Although, I do recall turning the balde sideways and sliding wood through did feel a bit more dangerous than a regular table saw. I just wanna buy a saw that can be used for other things as well.

It's been so long since I did anything for myself. I gotta admit, ever since I started making real money I judt don't seem to do anything myself anymore. Car repair, home repair, etc...

I'm trying to get back into to self performing. I fixed my kids light in his room last night and taught him something at the same time.

Imagine, a 25 year veteran electrician doing his own electrical repairs at home. How cool is that?

Anyway, guide me please on the saw.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Radial arm saws are not accurate for rip cuts, a table saw is by far and away the best option.

How do I know this? Well there's one of these in my shop

It gets used for specialty cutting and nothing else. Even with Delta's heavy cast iron turret system, it's impossible to get an accurate rip cut given the amount of flex inherent in the system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

IMO a table saw accessorised will be more flexible than a radial arm saw. It also poses more danger for mis-use (though both can be nasty).

There are some things I would prefer doing on a radial arm, but if I had to choose a single tool it would be the table.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Q45
        • Nov 2007

Yeah, I guess the table saw might be better. It definitely will take up less space.

I was thinking ahead for crown molding and other house hold stuff. But I guess I could always pick up a miter saw later if need be.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I've done all the trim work in our house with the table saw. I use a sled.

Comment

• Q45
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjd
            I've done all the trim work in our house with the table saw. I use a sled.
            Yeah man! Good old sleds, huh?.......

What's a sled?

Comment

• MuaDibb
              • Oct 2006

A radial arm saw is absolutely last on my list of tools for my shop. However, my table saw was one of my first investments. But thats just me. :W
              Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• Q45
                • Nov 2007

Just ordered the Router Buddy Circle Jig from PartsExpress along with other various hardware items and dampening.

I'll probably go out tomorrow and grab the table saw and router.

Any reason why one of the smaller table saws wouldn't suffice for speaker building? I don't see why I would need the type with the huge extended table if you're pretty much cutting pieces of wood no bigger than 4ft. long.

I can't fit a 4'x8' sheet in ML350 anyway. I'll probably be starting with no larger than 4'x4'.

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

I use a folding contractor grade saw (mine's a Ridgid, the Bosch is also excellent). ~$500 IIRC. Tucks away in a corner when I'm not using it and we fit 2 cars in our 2 car garage. Excellent fence on the Ridgid (and that, IMHO, is the key).

I will not even glance at the ~$100 tabletop models.

C

Comment

• dawaro
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Q45
                    Any reason why one of the smaller table saws wouldn't suffice for speaker building? I don't see why I would need the type with the huge extended table if you're pretty much cutting pieces of wood no bigger than 4ft. long.

I can't fit a 4'x8' sheet in ML350 anyway. I'll probably be starting with no larger than 4'x4'.
                    Unless you have a cabinet saw with a large auxillarily table 4'x8' sheets are really best cut with a circular saw and a saw board. When you saw smaller saw you really need to define who much smaller. The smallest I would go is along the lines of what CJD mentioned, a 10" Jobsite/Portable saw like the Ridgid. You are not going to save a lot of money buying a smaller one but you can save a lot of space. You are esentially paying for the same saw just with a smaller table. You want something that has a strong fence with a decent rip capactiy. A cheap saw with a cheap fence = bad cuts and a pissed off owner in the long run...
                    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Warpdrv1
                      • Dec 2006

+1 more on the Rigid Table saw... they are awesome... great saw and so portable...
                      Worth every penny I spent on it...

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

+2 with the Rigid and a guy I work with has one. Works great for me, but I've never had anything else to compare to.
                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

In the $500 range for portable saws, I like the Sears version of the famous but now discontinued Ryobi. It has a nice wide fold-up base, good fence, cuts 24" wide, has a stock "sled" (the miter gauge Chris was talking about with 2 runners for more crosscut stability), and includes all the stuff to turn your router into a bench-mount shaper. It's more expensive than the Ryobi was on closeout but it does include some nice extras.

Comment

• Q45
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                            In the $500 range for portable saws, I like the Sears version of the famous but now discontinued Ryobi. It has a nice wide fold-up base, good fence, cuts 24" wide, has a stock "sled" (the miter gauge Chris was talking about with 2 runners for more crosscut stability), and includes all the stuff to turn your router into a bench-mount shaper. It's more expensive than the Ryobi was on closeout but it does include some nice extras.

$449? Hmm?

That would require some hiding $ or explaining to do.

I'm looking at a Ryobi off Criag's List today for $100. We're in the market for a house right now, and telling the wife a dropped $500 on a saw could create uh.... a possibly uncomfortable conversation. Can ya dig it?

Buying a Craftsman 1hp router with 24 various bits today from a guy for $80, again off Craig's List.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• technimac
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Q45
                              ...I'm looking at a Ryobi off Criag's List today for $100...
                              Is it a BT3000/3100?
                              I have the BT3100 and this model is head and shoulders above the other Ryobi BTS15 and BTS20 models. In fact, the glowing reviews of the BT3000/3100 are in stark contrast to the dismal ones for the BTS15 and BTS20 models.
                              A good condition, used BT3100, at $100, is definitely a bargain .
                              "While we're at it" - the four most dangerous words in Home Improvement

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                                • Aug 2001

A good condition, used BT3100, at $100, is definitely a bargain .
                                An understatement if there ever was one.

Comment

• Outfitter
                                  • Apr 2006

If your interested in a bargain Home Depot has the Ridgid Model TS2400LS on sale for $299! Price is good on-line, or try to be the first one in the door on Friday and pick-up in store.

Comment

• megamuel
                                    • Oct 2007

Hi guys I am also looking to buy a table saw here in the UK. Would it make any difference (other than to my bank account) if I bought this:

OR

OR even this:

They all cut wood, whats the difference between the cheaper one and the more costly ones???

Comment

• Gir
                                      • Dec 2006

If your interested in a bargain Home Depot has the Ridgid Model TS2400LS on sale for $299! Price is good on-line, or try to be the first one in the door on Friday and pick-up in store.
                                      Shhhh!!!!
                                      -Tyler

Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

Comment

• Warpdrv1
                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Outfitter
                                        http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100090444
                                        ooooooh... that just tweaks my melon...

I bought this saw 2 month's ago... grrrrrr

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Warpdrv1
                                          ooooooh... that just tweaks my melon...

I bought this saw 2 month's ago... grrrrrr
                                          I think they have a 90 day return policy. Ask to have your credit given back (they can look up the receipt in their system with your credit card, if you used one) or otherwise you'll return the used saw for a full refund and purchase the new one for $299. I worked at Circuit City for almost 5 years in college and this is how we handled disputes sometimes. Definitely worth a shot! :T

Comment

• brent_s
                                            • Jun 2006

If you get the Craftsman pictured above, or find a used Ryobi BT3000/3100, you can add the wide table kit for $80, essentially doubling the rip capacity.

For all you ever wanted to know about the Ryobi/Craftsman BT3K series, www.bt3central.com.

-Brent

Comment

• littlesaint
                                              • Jul 2007

The Craftsman was on sale this weekend for <$400 with tax and in-store pickup. I ordered one. :B
                                              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Warpdrv1
                                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                                                I think they have a 90 day return policy. Ask to have your credit given back (they can look up the receipt in their system with your credit card, if you used one) or otherwise you'll return the used saw for a full refund and purchase the new one for $299. I worked at Circuit City for almost 5 years in college and this is how we handled disputes sometimes. Definitely worth a shot! :T
                                                thanks for the tip... I will go back to my receipts, and see if I can work that out..

Comment

• Q45
                                                  • Nov 2007

Well, I picked up a Delta 10" table saw this weekend.

It was pretty used and I guess I should have followed my gut. But I let the low price of $40 sway me.

The fence is not very good and I quickly found out this weekend how important that is cuz this thing does not make very accurate cuts. I'm going to have to look into getting another fence for this thing cuz I can't turn back now.

But whatever, my kid and I had a good time together starting off with making all the cuts and starting to put together the basic box design, so it wasn't a complete loss.

I'm hoping the laminate will cover some of the inconsistencies in the cuts.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                    • Oct 2005

I've heard THESE are pretty good for the price. You'd still have under $300 into your saw and have a nice set up. I'd recommend getting a good blade too.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2002

The fence is not very good and I quickly found out this weekend how important that is cuz this thing does not make very accurate cuts. I'm going to have to look into getting another fence for this thing cuz I can't turn back now.
                                                      I've worked with some pretty bad fences and you can usually make them work. Forget the ruler on the fence and don't assume the fence is parallel to the blade. With the fence unlocked measure from the front of the blade to the fence and and back of the blade to the fence. Make sure you measure to a tooth that angles toward the fence. Move the fence until both measurements match your cut width and lock it down. If the back end of the fence moves with a little pressure when it's locked, throw a clamp on there to hold it. After everything is all locked down, double check your front and back measurements.

Laminate won't cover anything, at least not easily. Consider what you've done so far practice.

Comment

• Q45
                                                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                                        Laminate won't cover anything, at least not easily. Consider what you've done so far practice.
                                                        AAAHHH!!!!! :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"