X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

Sky Captain

I saw this last night and really enjoyed this movie. As with Indiana Jones films, it was a wild adventure. And visually Sky Captain was a real treat, being consistant with the 30s-40s style. They kept within the parameters of the time period. Even the futuristic technology was 40s sci-fi stuff.
    It was campy in parts, but not stupid or TV-like, which ruins so many of today's movies.

The early flying robot scenes were a direct take-off from the 40s Superman animated short films, as were several other scenes. But I don't care, because it was done very well both in matching the style, and having quality CGI.
    The story was also traditional 40s adventure/sci-fi, and fun in the same way as the old serial short films.

I still have a tough time shelling out $10 at the theater, but it was epic enough to be worth it for me, and I'm definitely going to be buying this movie on DVD.

-Dean.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Cool, Dean. Did you know that supposedly this is the first movie ever filmed entirely in front of a blue screen? Interesting from that perspective, if nothing else.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
      Did you know that supposedly this is the first movie ever filmed entirely in front of a blue screen?
      So they couldn't get Windows to work either, huh? Should have used a Mac. :>)

Burke

In fact, I've read that they DID use a Mac, at least to put together the demo loop that sold the concept to the studio. For the actual movie, they had the actors speak their lines in front of a "blue screen" and edited in the spectacular "retro-futuristic" backgrounds and special effects later.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

This will definitely be in my dvd collection after it is released.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
          This will definitely be in my dvd collection after it is released.
          Me too.

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Me three :B :T

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Me four (-ty six) :
              Last edited by David Meek; 02 October 2004, 10:22 Saturday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• TheBottom
                • Sep 2004

Personally I just can't go to the movies anymore. The sound is terrible!

Best just getting the DVD from the US! Worth the wait.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

A Mini-Review

I saw Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow this weekend. The premise is of an alternate reality built around the late 1930s - one in which the Hindenberg III dirigible can dock at the top of the Empire State building (actually, the ONLY Hindenberg blew-up and burned while landing - in up-state NY I believe), giant flying/walking/swimming robots can be unleashed on humanity by evil scientists, a lone pilot in a submersible P-40 Warhawk fighter is our last, best hope to stop them, and eye-patch wearing babes command aerial flotillas of more of those submersible airplanes. And that's just the premise. . . .

The most unique thing about this film is the fact that the entire movie was filmed with all actors performing in front of a green-screen. None of the scenery, sets, robots, planes, etc was "real". It was all CGI generated after the fact. The fact that Kerry Conran could direct them, and the fact that Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Giovanni Ribisi and others can actually convince you that they are interacting with "something" is quite a credit to their abilities as actors and director. That said, I just never could bond with the characters despite my best efforts. Despite their fine work in seeing something that wasn't really there, they all seemed very two-dimensional and un-reactive to the dangers they were facing. The phrase "sleepwalking through their roles" captures the feel - or lack thereof - perfectly.

Visually almost the entire film is shot in VERY soft focus. I'm not sure whether or not this was to aid in merging the massive CGI sets or was part of the visual effect to recall the old serial TV shows, but regardless, it was overdone and wound up as a distraction. Otherwise, the CGI itself is breathtaking at times. Screaming down NYCity streets at tree-top level in a P-40, chasing and evading those nasty ol' flying robots was a real rollercoaster of a ride - yeah, baby! The colors are VERY washed out and overlayed with a sepia, gray or blue tint depending on what is happening on screen at the time. That in itself wasn't a negative, but in combination with the soft focus I found myself wishing for a Superbit DVD to watch.

Sonically, it was a lot of fun. Surrounds are used extensively, there is lots of deep bass, and it's all well meshed in support of the fairly continuous action on-screen. Dialog is clear throughout and never overwhelmed by the surrounding mayhem.

In many respects Sky Captain is genuine and unique effort, that was let down by the difficulties of acting without anything to relate to - or against - although the visual cues the CGI artists received from the actors were integrated into the action sequences amazingly well. Had the acting kept pace with the rest of the effort, this would have been, could have been "a contenduh". As it is, I give Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow :25: out of :5:.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

This flick is being compared to the INDIANA JONES type . Would you agree, Tex ? I was a bit surprised that its opening weekend wasn't up to the studio's expectations, but after the 2 1/2 stars you give it, maybe I shouldn't be susprised after all.

I saw the trailer to this when I saw Open Water at the theater and I wasn't excited about that soft look.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Indiana Jones? :rofl: Not even close. Indiana Jones type? :scratchhead: Yeah, sort of. Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"