• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Captain America--The Winter Soldier

:T:T:T:T:T

Saw this in IMAX 3D yesterday. Not a huge fan of 3D generally, but IMAX 3D doesn't (so far--have seen 4 such presentations) give me the headache that non-IMAX 3D sometimes does (to be fair, even non-IMAX 3D is less bothersome than it used to be--the tech seems to be getting better). Plus I do quite enjoy the IMAX sound system (my HT is quite good in its price range, it blows away a lot of cinemas I've been to, but it's not as good as the best cinema houses in the greater Montreal region).

As to the movie itself, as good as the first Iron Man and stands on its own rather well (not all of the Marvel films do this equally well). The plot is topical without being swamped by its "message" (though a superhero film, it is also a political thriller, with nods to the 70s films of that genre--having Robert Redford in the cast adds to that feel). Worth a detour to the cinema if it is up to date on the audio and video gear (3D not necessary, but also not a negative--it is a LOT more about depth of field than things flying out of the screen into the audience, which seems to be the trend as the tech matures). If you don't have a good cinema nearby, then it is a must viewing at home, when the BD is out, for any fan of the Marvel films and, I'd say, for any fan of political thrillers.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Good to hear. Better than the first?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Equal but different, IMO. I read a review somewhere that described the first as a classic WWII movie disguised as a superhero film and the new one as a classic 70s political paranoia thriller disguised as a superhero film. I wouldn't want to overstate these attributes, but I find this description a useful shorthand.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I thought this was better than the first movie. We went to see it in the Ultra AVX theater. I really enjoyed the whole movie. I thought the pacing was just right, lots of spy stuff and action.

There are some additional end credit scenes. The first one comes pretty quickly into the end credits. The last one is at the very end. I don't think you would miss anything by skipping the last one.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

What, no schwarma-munching deli scenes?
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

My only criticism of the film was it's lack of humour and light hearted moments. A lot of the other Marvel films manage to break up the intense parts with suitably placed sections that give you time to relax and laugh. CA-TWS didn't really do this.
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
            5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
            Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• RPAudio1
              • Jun 2011

Really enjoyed TWS, much more so than the original!
              I agree that many of the other Marvel films have more comedic breaks, but I still like the way TWS does things!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

This is IMO better than the first film. I also believe this is as good as the first Iron Man.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"