X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarcCass
    • Dec 2012

Problem connecting Phillips HTS3500S to Sky+HD via convertor

Hi

I got Sky installed at the weekend and have attempted to connect it to my older http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HTS3...pr_product_top which doesn't have an optical or hdmi input.

Knowing that Sky+HD only outputs Dolby 5.1 via an optical lead I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller= and used an optical to link the converter to the Sky box and coaxial leads to go into the amp.

Now when the Sky box is set to output 'Dolby' through the optical lead, I get no sound at all, however when it is set to 'normal' I get sound but very faintly and not through all speakers.

When connected by just the coax leads without the converter it outputs simulated 5.1 fine. can anyone give me any advice on how to get the 5.1 working??

I'm leaning towards there being a fault with the optical or converter thus far but could do with some advice.
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Hi Marc, welcome to HTGuide.

The "adapter" you purchased is a stereo DAC, not an optical to coaxial converter. Therefore, it won't work for converting your digital signal for surround on your system. If you look on Amazon, they have an Ex-Pro unit that looks like it would do the job here: Optical to Coax Converter

It's a lot less expensive than what you bought too.

-KJP

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"