Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

From the Outer Rim - A New Adventure Part Deux

After some hints of a new facility under construction in the outer rim, courtesy of ET, I thought it might be time for an small update. A few folks already know, but SMJ Audio Fabrication Facilities has moved. It is no longer in southern Virginia, but now, the upper northeast corner of Maryland. Like many others, we have moved during this insane time. What can I say, orders are orders and the wifey unit made them.

As such the process of trying to find a new house with a shop got underway. Unfortunately all the check boxes on the list could not be checked off .... we have a house, but no shop and garages are rare in this area. That project is underway, though not as I had originally intended.

Prior to moving I had the type of building picked out, a company to build it and another company lined up for site prep .... I try to be organized.

That plan was quickly shot out of the sky by the local county permit department who told me I could not do what I had planed. This despite my chosen company claiming they built in my area and met code. The county gave me some recommendations for moving forward and so I started the process over again. Many weeks of work down the drain.

A different type of building and foundation has been chosen and permits are going through the approval process. Of course they are already over schedule due to staffing shortages .... of course they are!

So since it not true without pictures ......

This is the new shop location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000607_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	872645

Name:	P1000609_2.JPG
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	872646

If weather cooperates, in the next week or so I should be having a tree removed that would be in the way of the shop.

Once the building permit is approved, excavation should be able to then start.

One finial note, for the those of you that are in the building queue and are waiting on me, I appreciate you patience and understanding for the delay of your projects.

More to come .....
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

• theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

That has to be super frustrating! Let’s use the good things come to those who wait saying. When the new shop is built we should have a meet up! I finally found someone to take the boat off my hands. That frees up 1/4 of my garage. If you lived a tad closer I would say come take over my garage I’m the meantime ��.
    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

I can so relate to Steve's challenges, though mine are not remotely on the same magnitude.

I did get in the "supplementary" batch of epoxy coat for the garage floor Friday and installed it yesterday; also installed part of the L-bar on the lower side of the drywall, to commence getting that ready for clean up, mudding, and topping, prior to painting. The one drawback to having a nominal 4 car garage, is that there is a lot of wall and ceiling to cover at this stage! (topping, primer, and paint).

The wife has been updating trim paint and some doors; she pretty much finished "staging" her den/office after I got her some storage cube shelves on Friday, and is pleased with the results.

Sunday (today) will not be a day of rest, either! Clear coat on the garage floor, and wall prep coming up!
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

What's the ETA on the permit, and can you post their phone number so we can put pressure on them?
        - Danny

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by technodanvan
          What's the ETA on the permit, and can you post their phone number so we can put pressure on them?
          I wish it were that easy Danny ..... I actually just spent a good portion of the day on the phone with the county, the Environmental Health Services Dept. As of this morning it looked like I was screwed and not going to get an approved permit. Turns out I have to have 10K sq ft of my property set aside for a septic area. Fortunately I was able to work with a very helpful woman that was able to get the area re-zoned allowing the area I need for the shop to fit. She sent me an email at 6:30 pm letting me know that she signed off on the approval and forwarded it to her director. Hopeful their as helpful for the next set of signatures!

Comment

• Evil Twin
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

It sounds remarkably similar to the bureaucracy I used to work with before "going Solo".

No apologies to Han.
            DFAL
            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Carl V
              • Apr 2005

(((The wife has been updating trim paint and some doors; she pretty much finished "staging" her den/office after I got her some storage cube shelves on Friday, and is pleased with the results))))

I am slow on the uptake, obviously not observant.

Congratulations

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Carl V
                (((The wife has been updating trim paint and some doors; she pretty much finished "staging" her den/office after I got her some storage cube shelves on Friday, and is pleased with the results))))

I am slow on the uptake, obviously not observant.

Congratulations
                Thank you Carl! The last 18 months have been exceptionally busy. I never guessed retirement would be this much work!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                  • Dec 2006

A quick update ..... after twice the expected wait time and many phone calls to the county, I have an approved building permit. This would be in the one step forward column. Of course you know there's a 2 steps back coming, yep ..... the building companies start date has gone from mid May to mid July. Gotta love it!

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

Everything is stupid busy these days. Do you have garage space at the new place? Anyhow I look forward to the center channel project when we can start that.
                    Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by svenarajala
                      Everything is stupid busy these days. Do you have garage space at the new place? Anyhow I look forward to the center channel project when we can start that.
                      No garage here. You typically get a basement rather than a garage in this area.

Did have a little progress on things on Friday. I had to remove a tree prior to things getting started, it unfortunately was inside the shop boundary. I hated doing it since it was such a nice tree .... will have to plant a replacement.

Name:	P1000612_2.JPG
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	866767

Name:	P1000619_2.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	866768

Name:	P1000621_2.JPG
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	866769

Name:	P1000627_2.JPG
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	866770

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

It occurs to me that this is a place where I can post a bit about the efforts in the northern Rim R&D facility to get moved in and organized- of course, not in a regular thread!

This picture only hints at the prior work involved:
                        • Epoxy-Coat and clear coat garage floor
                        • L-bar installed on bottom edge of all drywall
                        • Mudding L-Bar and drywall seams and other issues
                        • Sanding with random orbital sander with vacuum attachment.
                        • Two coats of PVA primer
                        • two coats of Urethan Alkyd satin enamel, for durability and dust and fluid resistance

Name:	NorthWall.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	866775

Then, the high strength steel shelving has been assembled and tweaked, for storage of materials and some tools...

Center tandem area

Name:	Single Center Shelf.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	866776

South Wall

Name:	South Wall.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	866777

Moving in work and assembly benches will begin today.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Carl V
                          • Apr 2005

whew!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

If at first you don't get it right, try, try again

OK, today is mostly about taking a "do-over".

One of the cans of the urethane Alkyd satin enamel was not like the rest- they were all supposed to be "White - 7900" but one was deep color base, and I didn't notice how off white it was until I'd painted the walls and ceiling in the front of the center section and noticed how they didn't match the rest (this can be seen by examination of the picture above).

Today that was rectified- the shelf was unloaded and moved out of the way, everything was repainted and the touch up was done, too, for where the walls and ceiling meet.

Of course, that's all blindingly obvious when you check out the picture below... well, maybe not. But trust me, in room it's quite obvious.

Name:	Center update SS.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	866778

Not facility related, but for me more interesting, I was reminded this last week about the RSS210HF that I bought last year for a potential line array, because I unpacked the four of them from a closet that needed to have it's contents moved... I get the impression this part doesn't get much loving, but I find it has two very redeeming characteristics...
                            • FIrst off, it's still in stock and readily available at PE
                            • Second, the cone behavior for an aluminum part is exceptional, right up there with my all time favorites like the SW223BD02 and the Anarchy 558/554.
                            • And, it turns out it models rather well with different application approaches - sealed or with PRs, in 20-35L depending on what your end goals are.
                            • "Only" 9mm Xmax (how jaded we are these days) but you know it can push a bit of air... makes me think about the possiblities...
                            • And the inductance is half of the E180HE-44... which still isn't in stock.
                            • For example, a sort of "rock and roll" tune in 28L, with just one disk on an RSS265PR, 275 grams, and an F3 of 28Hz with an Fb of 29Hz
                            • Or, a deeper tune with a slower roll off, 350 grams, but an F3 of 26Hz and Fb of 26Hz
                            • Or maybe a "perfectionist" alignment with 35L and 350 grams, with an F3 of 24 Hz and Fb of 24 Hz.

Name:	RSS210HF SPL.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	866779

I have in mind two versions of a sort of 3 way, one with two woofers, one with 4. Mid and tweeter level adjusted depending on the configuration- Le Petite or Le Grande.

And given how it works sealed, F3 of 39Hz, in 20L, a Dayton Ardent is a possibility... just have to decide on the right midrange. Scanspeak, PuriFi, SB Acoustics? And I found my secret stash of DA25TX tweeters...

Or...

Really make this a "Dayton Ardent"? How about RS100-4 "full range"? Found some raw data I'd taken a while back... looking at it for a line array...

A basic polar plot at 15 degrees intervals

Name:	RS100-4Curves.png
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	866780

Distortion check at 93 dB.

Name:	RS100-4-Distortion93dB.png
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	866781

Not half bad... definitely something that could be worked with.

I'll be really happy when this move is done.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Still primarily focused on moving and setup, and maintenance of both the rental and new home. But making clear progress...

This one photo captures much of the feel of the essentially finished workshop/garage- tools and dust collection not moved in yet, but I think you can see the potential...

Name:	IMG_4536 SS.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	866823

Upcoming projects include the Calliope CC, an idea I have for what I call the Calliope CC Supreme (yes, it involves constant directivity horns from Eighteen Sound), the Modula PWB (PuriFi-Wavecor-BlieSMA), and the constantly evolving Saint-Saëns Symphonique (started out with E180HE-44 woofers, but their two months of "available any day now) for my back order has raised big concerns.). There may be a Saint-Saëns Lyrique based off that with different driver trade offs on the top end. We'll see. 2022 is going to be an "interesting" year, and that's not even counting the national and world scene and drama going down...
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ergo
                                • Mar 2005

Looking at the space and progress with great envy, but happy for you at same time ... Photoshop a Klippel Analyzer into the garage and you'll have a self builder dream picture there :B

I had a plan too to start both a house and workshop build at same time in coming months - got the blueprints for the workshop and an offer for the wood framing.... but decided to put the workshop on hold still for now until house is up.
                                Not sure how are things on US side now, but here in northern/eastern Europe building anything is getting crazy. Both material and work prices are hiking and the material availability is flaky due to war nearby etc. But hard to predict these things and no real way to know if anything will go back cheaper ever.

Name:	image_2022-05-25_164106690.png
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	866824

Comment

• technodanvan
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  This one photo captures much of the feel of the essentially finished workshop/garage- tools and dust collection not moved in yet, but I think you can see the potential...
                                  Looks really nice John, patience is paying off.

Upcoming projects include the...constantly evolving Saint-Saëns Symphonique (started out with E180HE-44 woofers, but their two months of "available any day now) for my back order has raised big concerns.).
                                  I am also reconsidering the use of the E180HE-44 for similar reasons. I haven't canceled yet but I'm getting closer every day...

Originally posted by ergo
                                  Not sure how are things on US side now, but here in northern/eastern Europe building anything is getting crazy. Both material and work prices are hiking...
                                  Pretty much the same story here. I've been considering building a home but 1) I have no idea where to build it and 2) I'm not convinced now is the time to buy or build.
                                  - Danny

Comment

• Zvu
                                    • Oct 2013

Same is in south-east Europe. Though we build houses from heavy materials (reinforced concrete pillars, bricks, clay blocks and concrete blocks), prices went to hell. I've bought a lot of 1400m2 december 2021 and prices went 30% in 5 months. Prices change weekly. I've bought lumber for roof few months ago and stashed it at my friend when i heard Russia will ban export of raw wood. I can't risk that to happen in a few months. My permit is approved today, but contractor says he can't start before 19-th of june. I've put everything on hold until we get to the roof cover. Then i'll see how much my money is worth and change trajectory accordingly.
                                    Tesla; George Carlin;

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                      • Aug 2000

Definitely challenging times all around!
                                      the AudioWorx
                                      Natalie P
                                      M8ta
                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                      Modula MT XE
                                      Modula Xtreme
                                      Isiris
                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                      Minerva Monitor
                                      Calliope
                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                      Obi-Wan
                                      Modula PWB
                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                        • Dec 2006

Ergo, shop looks like it should be nice. As Jon mentioned, things are very crazy here in the US. Delays is the name of the game. My shop should already be under construction, yet here I sit waiting. Site excavation is schedule for 6/13 at this point ..... we shall see!

In the mean time, this is what it's supposed to look like.

Name:	1_2.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	866825

Name:	4_2.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	866826

Name:	3_2.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	866827

Name:	2_2.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	866828

Comment

• ergo
                                          • Mar 2005

Kind of soothing to hear that the general building does suffer from similar issues around the world it seems.

It is also looking like many of us are into "bigger projects" than even the biggest speakers projects done here.... but then again "Mission Possible DIY" can be extended to cover topics beyond audio and speakers
                                          Showing these general building / shop building projects and looking at other's works equally well for me as a good forum content.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ergo
                                            Kind of soothing to hear that the general building does suffer from similar issues around the world it seems.

It is also looking like many of us are into "bigger projects" than even the biggest speakers projects done here.... but then again "Mission Possible DIY" can be extended to cover topics beyond audio and speakers
                                            Showing these general building / shop building projects and looking at other's works equally well for me as a good forum content.
                                            I’m in complete agreement with you on that, Ergo! It’s like an extension on woodworking topics.

One of the best things in my past for that was when Beverly and I decided to have a storage shed with loft put up on her backyard; that was critical to several projects. OTOH, I’ve done a lot of stuff in the past just on my apartment balcony- or in the garage- it was originally built as a condo, but didn’t sell at that time (late 80’s) and an investment company bought it and converted to apartments. The balcony on most apartments these days doesn’t come close, nor does the storage closet.
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                                              Master of None
                                              • Jan 2014

Saint-Saëns is one of my favorite classical composers after I heard an arrangement of his song at the French attraction at Epcot back in 2017. My dad is well versed in classical music and knew the composer when I asked him who that was.

The building situation is rough, but it is really nice to see people building shops that can be used to do more DIY work in the coming years. I think that is an important topic to discuss in the forum on shop layout, tools, painting/finishing. All important topics IMHO that really make the build look attractive when complete.

I do wish Steve lived closer, with all that space I'm willing to bet he will have a paint booth in that shop
                                              Painter in training

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

It is becoming clear that this is a developing situation which cannot be ignored or taken lightly...

To that end, I have deployed informers and Imperial spies fallen on hard times to keep me abreast of any developments...

While things have been very quiet for weeks and months, that situation has changed substantially today...

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	866865

Name:	imagejpeg_0 2.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	866866

Though not on the scale of a Death Star project, I expect this will eventually draw the attention of local rebel spies... something we must now prepare for, lest operational security suffer.
                                                DFAL
                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2004

My informants have relayed to me that the work crews are proceeding with a surprising degree of efficacy...

The fundamental excavation and interface preparation appears complete...

Name:	1 imagejpeg_0 3.jpg
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	866869

And the bedrock material has been prepared, placed and graded...

Name:	2 imagejpeg_0.jpg
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	866870

And appears to be fully ready for the fabrication of the foundation floor...

Name:	3 imagejpeg_0 2.jpg
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	866871
                                                  DFAL
                                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                    • Dec 2006

A few more pictures from the local Imperial Commander ......

Name:	P1000660_resize.JPG
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	866878

Name:	P1000661_resize.JPG
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	866879

Name:	P1000673_resize.JPG
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	866880

Name:	P1000679_resize.JPG
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	866881

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                      • Dec 2006

A few more ....

Name:	P1000670_resize.JPG
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	866882

Name:	P1000688_resize.JPG
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	866883

Name:	P1000691_resize.JPG
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	866884

Name:	P1000694_resize.JPG
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	866885

And now the wait continues for supplies for the construction of the shell.

Comment

• theSven
                                                        Master of None
                                                        • Jan 2014

How thick of a slab are they going to pour for this? Did you make a cad of the floor plan yet????
                                                        Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                          • Dec 2006

How thick of a slab are they going to pour for this? Did you make a cad of the floor plan yet????
                                                          They will be pouring 4" of concrete once they get done with all the stone. Once the building is up, they will be laying down ~4" of a different stone and then the concrete.

Nope, no CAD drawing at this point. I'm going to have to see how things looks once I get everything in there before making a final layout plan. To be honest I've never done a shop layout for myself on paper. They seem to be an evolving thing that changes over time to improve work flow. Besides it gives the neighbors something to talk about when I just stand in the middle of the shop and stare off into space.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                                            • Aug 2000

I think ET calls that communing with the Force….

But Gig probably calls it something else…
                                                            the AudioWorx
                                                            Natalie P
                                                            M8ta
                                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                                            Modula MT XE
                                                            Modula Xtreme
                                                            Isiris
                                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                            Minerva Monitor
                                                            Calliope
                                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                                            Obi-Wan
                                                            Modula PWB
                                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                              • Dec 2006

I think ET calls that communing with the Force….

But Gig probably calls it something else…
                                                              I believe the technical term is "Bat Crap Crazy" :crazy:

Comment

• theSven
                                                                Master of None
                                                                • Jan 2014

It's nice that the drive way will go right up to the building. Will make it easier for moving large cabinets like the SMJ Ardent Wavecores you built last year which were heavy. Great to see progress finally starting on this now that the permits are done too. Do you have to put a sub panel in the house to run electricity out to the structure or just going to run a line out from the main box? You can never have enough electricity in a shop IMHO.
                                                                Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                  • Dec 2006

It's nice that the drive way will go right up to the building. Will make it easier for moving large cabinets like the SMJ Ardent Wavecores you built last year which were heavy. Great to see progress finally starting on this now that the permits are done too. Do you have to put a sub panel in the house to run electricity out to the structure or just going to run a line out from the main box? You can never have enough electricity in a shop IMHO.
                                                                  I suspect I will have a sub panel in the shop itself for distribution, but I'm not sure if I will a new feed, or, be able to branch off the house. I've had some preliminary discussions with my neighbor, who's an electrician, apparently it will depend on the size of the feed to the house. It has a 200 amp panel, though the feed may be something like 300 amps. That's yet to be determined.

Comment

• ergo
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

It's kinda unnerving for Europeans to read these fuse rating over there... 300 amps sound way high for us for anything domestic. Here it is typically 25A or 32A. But yes we have both 230V as well as 3 phases

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Yeah, totally different way of doing things- but don't relax yet, keep in mind our homes are fed with two phases, 110 out of phase with each other; across the two gets you 220V. I have a special 220V 35A outlet in my garage "just in case" I should get a BEV someday, and do charging at home. Of course, it can be tapped for other things, too, should the need arise.
                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                      M8ta
                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                      Isiris
                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                      Calliope
                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        • Dec 2006

Got a pleasant surprise yesterday, I got moved up a week and half in the schedule and work could start today on the actual build.

The crew was out early and spent some time tweaking the building outline and post locations prior to drilling holes.

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_070519_2.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	866968

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_073155(1)_2.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	866969

This is what you need when digging holes!

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_073205(1)_2.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	866970

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_075702(1)_2.jpg
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	866971

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_075708_2.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	866972

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                          • 1888

It didn't take long to make a big mess of the prior work of getting the pad leveled out.

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_075722(1)_2.jpeg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	866973

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_082544(1)_2.jpeg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	866974

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_082529(1)_2.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	866975

The lumber package was also delivered while this was going on.

Name:	Resized_Resized_20220706_073218(1)_2.jpeg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	866976

Work did not continue much beyond this since the county has to come out and inspect the work prior to setting posts. That's all supposed to happen by tomorrow morning.

Comment

• theSven
                                                                            Master of None
                                                                            • Jan 2014
                                                                            • 1056

After approval from the inspector the cement truck is coming tomorrow? Did you pick out a speaker to imprint for SMJ with the date 7 Jul 2022? Hands and feet are over rated for marking the concrete when you own a speaker building company right! :P Looking forward to seeing more photos of the structure going up!
                                                                            Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 1888

#39
                                                                              After approval from the inspector the cement truck is coming tomorrow? Did you pick out a speaker to imprint for SMJ with the date 7 Jul 2022? Hands and feet are over rated for marking the concrete when you own a speaker building company right! :P Looking forward to seeing more photos of the structure going up!
                                                                              Believe it or not, the concrete truck won't show up until the shop is built .... they put the floor in last in this style of building.

Comment

• theSven
                                                                                Master of None
                                                                                • Jan 2014
                                                                                • 1056

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                                Believe it or not, the concrete truck won't show up until the shop is built .... they put the floor in last in this style of building.
                                                                                After checking the previous post of the building I realized it didn't have any info about the floor or elevation if that's what it's called when they show the foundation. Definitely want to see more photos as this goes up!
                                                                                Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 1888

#41
                                                                                  More work and picture taking done today. It might be tomorrow before I get them posted though ..... my butt is dragging trying to get over Covid, again! Yep, I'm vaccinated, but it came special delivery through my granddaughter this time.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 15281

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Steve Manning
                                                                                    They will be pouring 4" of concrete once they get done with all the stone. Once the building is up, they will be laying down ~4" of a different stone and then the concrete.

Nope, no CAD drawing at this point. I'm going to have to see how things looks once I get everything in there before making a final layout plan. To be honest I've never done a shop layout for myself on paper. They seem to be an evolving thing that changes over time to improve work flow. Besides it gives the neighbors something to talk about when I just stand in the middle of the shop and stare off into space.
                                                                                    I was joking with a friend at work about the same topic, in regards to my current working space and trying to get stuff done with the big patio furniture set in the garage. Figuring out where to put stuff for now is more like Silvaco SmartSPICE, with what I would call a Monte Carlo software annealing optimization... I do a walking pass through the garage in the AM and tweak stuff, for getting done what I need to do during the day, then the same thing often in the evening- slowly it "evolves" towards a usable layout for getting the current tasks done, though by no means a layout I would plan ahead of time- too many unforeseen variables.

But stuff is getting done. POC test cabinets for now, mainly...
                                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                                    M8ta
                                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                                    Isiris
                                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                                    Calliope
                                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 1888

#43
                                                                                      Well this might seem like a big jump from the last set of pictures, but it only took them a couple of hours.

Name:	P1000695_2.JPG
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	866985

Name:	P1000696_2.JPG
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	866986

Name:	P1000698_2.JPG
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	866987

One thing encouraging is the crew constantly checking stuff for square.

Name:	P1000700_2.JPG
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	866988

Name:	P1000704_2.JPG
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	866989

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Dec 2006
                                                                                        • 1888

#44
                                                                                        This is certainly a young mans job .....

Name:	P1000710_2.JPG
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	866990

Had to run an errand for about an hour.

Name:	P1000709_2.JPG
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	866991

When I got back!

Name:	P1000714_2.JPG
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	866992

Name:	P1000716_2.JPG
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	866993

Name:	P1000720_2.JPG
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	866994

Comment

• 1Michael
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2006
                                                                                          • 293

#45
                                                                                          Wow, that is looking like a building.
                                                                                          Michael
                                                                                          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"