X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

The Sopranos

I finally (!) got to watch the last two episodes of the series this week. The entire series is available for Amazon Prime members for anyone interested. While researching some stuff on IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ) I noticed multiple theories about the fate of Tony Soprano vis a vis the series finale, and nobody seems to have gotten it. Has anybody here seen the entire series and still wonder about the final scene? Most people guess correctly but there are solid reasons for that guess being accurate. I found it quite obvious, especially when the producer, David Chase, has said all you need to know to figure it out is in the series and the closing scene. I don't want to post a spoiler unless enough people want it here. I thought the series was great, far better than Sons of Anarchy, which seemed a blue collar attempt to cash in on the fascination with criminal enterprise The Sopranos seemed to generate.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Picked up the complete series on Blu during a one day special at Amazon.ca. At 78% off, seemed reasonable. Could be a few years before I get to watch it, but I'm looking forward to it as I've never seen any of it.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I thought the series was great entertainment. I never understood the folks who sympathized with the main characters, though. In the series Tony Soprano will mention his favorite scene from his favorite movie, make note of that information. The payoff comes at the end. Good buy, IMO. James Gandolfini is just the tip of the talent iceberg in the series (albeit a big tip). I found the acting to be very believable. It should have been, since some of the actors actually have a background in the subject matter. Paulie Walnuts is a good example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Sirico It's not a show for the squeamish, but it rewards with top tier performances by some very good actors.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Having watched Game of Thrones and the Spartacus series, I'm sure I'll be okay on the squeamish aspect. Looking forward to watching it, and thanks for the tip about the favourite movie.

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

It's one of the few shows/movies that had me commenting out loud throughout the series. "Seriously?" "No! Not him!" "Oh, you gotta whack him!" LOL Of course, I grew up in a FL swamp but I was born in south Philadelphia and the characters are true to local form.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

SOA started out decent, but it went down hill after a couple seasons.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I agree. They went completely off the deep end with SOA. Even Sonny Barger's contributions couldn't save it. They could have reeled it back in after season two, but they went the other direction instead. It was a shame because there was a lot of talent in that line up, too.
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Just watched the first two episodes. Nobody told me The Sopranos was a comedy series. Not screwball comedy, of course, but still--few shows have had me laughing so much (not AT the show, but because I find many of the situations truly funny). Obviously, it's not going to be all laughs throughout, but I am surprised at how much it "tickles my funny bone" so far.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"