Three best TV shows you've watched in the past six months?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Three best TV shows you've watched in the past six months?

Quick question: What are the three best things you've watched on TV in the past six months (TV shows)? They don't have to have been made in that time. If you're like me, you watch a number of things on BD/DVD/Netflix/iTunes or saved on your PVR that go back further than six months, so the production of the show doesn't have to be new.

My three favourites:

Person of Interest--didn't catch this on broadcast TV, so I've acquired the first three seasons and I'm halfway through the third. Quite entertaining (most people probably don't view it that way, but I see it as one of the most interesting sci-fi series I've watched in quite a while).

Game of Thrones--just finished watching Season 3 on BD. Looking forward to the next instalment.

24: Live Another Day--As preposterous as 24 can often be, you have to root for Jack Bauer. Besides, in this case, they actually cut the show from 24 to 12 episodes, thus thinning out the fluff that could often accumulate in prior seasons. And this means they finally took the old joke about Jack Bauer seriously ("If everyone listened to Jack, the show would be called 12.")

Other favourites out there?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

They're in reruns now but I regularly watch Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five O, and The List.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Longmire, Game of Thrones, Halt and Catch Fire

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I don't really watch TV. I DVR The Big Bang Theory and occasionally see part of Blue Bloods when the wife watches it. Otherwise it just sits there taking up space. I've probably seen a couple Star Trek episodes in the last 6 months. That rounds up all my television diet. Most of my spare time is used here , a computer overclocking forum , and recently building a few models and online gaming.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Hdale85
          Longmire, Game of Thrones, Halt and Catch Fire
          Longmire, oh, yeah, forgot that one. Season finale tomorrow night.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

I haven't watched broadcast TV via cable at home since February 2007 when the cable signal went out intermittently on Super Bowl Sunday and Comcast said they might be able to fix it on Tuesday. I cancelled cable and catch the big games other ways.

Meanwhile a lot of great shows have come out on DVD and BluRay and the viewing experience is usually better even than watching time-shifted on DVR (fewer commercials). :>)

My most recent TV show DVD viewing has been selected episodes of Cheers, 7th season of The Simpsons and some lost episodes of Lost (by "lost" I mean I hadn't seen them before). I like shows that are easy to follow. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Just started watching Chuck on Netflix. Just a few episodes in, but so far it's a fun, light form of entertainment (the only nagging issue is the "best friend", Morgan--I find myself wishing he'd meet some gruesome end just about every time he appears on screen--didn't think I'd come across an actor who makes me wish Shia LeBoeuf was playing the role instead). Not enough to turn me off the show, though if he becomes "in the loop" and becomes more involved in the stories, I might have to bail. And that would be sad, as I'm quite fond of catching Yvonne Strahovski in hi-def on a regular basis.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                I like shows that are easy to follow. :>)
                You think Lost was easy to follow? I have family members that have seen the full series and still don't know what the show is about or what was going on lol.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Trying watching The Prisoner (I quite enjoyed it, but to this day, I'm not quite sure what the hell was going on, whereas Lost, for all its meandering, did let us know what happened--it's just that the answer didn't please everyone, to say the least).

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Ending to that show was crap........ And I was a loyal watcher from the beginning lol.

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

The Prisoner or Lost?

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Lost

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                          Just started watching Chuck on Netflix. Just a few episodes in, but so far it's a fun, light form of entertainment (the only nagging issue is the "best friend", Morgan--I find myself wishing he'd meet some gruesome end just about every time he appears on screen--didn't think I'd come across an actor who makes me wish Shia LeBoeuf was playing the role instead). Not enough to turn me off the show, though if he becomes "in the loop" and becomes more involved in the stories, I might have to bail. And that would be sad, as I'm quite fond of catching Yvonne Strahovski in hi-def on a regular basis.
                          Well, I'm about half way through the series now. And I've even mellowed out on the Morgan character. It remains a fun, light form of entertainment, though I'm at the edge of the elder range of its target audience, so a few bits of it are not resonating with me the way they might with someone 10-15 years younger. Still, good fluff entertainment is harder to find than one might think, so I'm enjoying it.

Comment

• Lex
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Apr 2001

hmmm, the best in the last 6 months. I can do this. I have to go with Homeland, Ray Donovan (with John Voight), and Elementary. I am not sure I watched Homeland in last 6 months, as the seasons are short for Showtime series, and it came on in the fall. you do the math.

I also enjoy Castle, Person of Interest and Masters of Sex. I like the actress that plays Virginia Johnson. But I feel these are further down the curve in terms of keeping viewership than the 3 I picked, even if they are not mainstream network. These days, you have to consider that too, what is on network? What is on Showtime and HBO, or Netflix, etc.. There are so many alternative viewing habits and alternative show methods now, it's really getting to a point you have to compare apples to apples, network, add on network, or add on "service" shows. Californication used to be a favorite, but now the series is concluded, and I was not enamored with the final season at all... I also rather enjoy Episodes, though it's quirky and silly. But sometimes that's good. Other than BBTheory, not much else on TV to interest me these days.

I have not caught enough of Game of Thrones to be up on it, I may watch the entire series someday though... Catch up, etc... but right now, I am watching less TV, not more.
                            Doug
                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Well, I'm about half way through the series now. And I've even mellowed out on the Morgan character. It remains a fun, light form of entertainment, though I'm at the edge of the elder range of its target audience, so a few bits of it are not resonating with me the way they might with someone 10-15 years younger. Still, good fluff entertainment is harder to find than one might think, so I'm enjoying it.
                              Ya Ovation I'm getting to the end of the 3rd season on DVD and the Morgan character being now in to the spy loop is somewhat annoying. I would have liked him to simply stay at the Buy More with his other loopy friends and stay oblivious to the goings on of Chuck and his spy world.

I would at this point like to be sinking my teeth into a series with more guts to it. I really liked 'Six feet under' , ER, Grey's Anatomy', 'Dexter', '24' , 'NCIS' and 'Bones'. Anybody have any suggestions for me??. I can go to my library and see if they carry the series that you suggest. Let me know?.
                              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

My next series will be True Detectives. HBO series and I've yet to be disappointed by one. May be a bit new for libraries. If you haven't seen it yet, get ahold of The Wire. Possibly the best TV series I've ever watched.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

True Detectives is very good, can't wait for the next season. And I agree in general HBO has an amazing reputation for awesome shows. Showtime as well has some awesome shows, although they don't seem to know how or when to end them.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Started re-watching Battlestar Galactica last night, I have to say this show is easily very high on my list if not at the top. I've seen the whole series before as well as Caprica and love both of them extensively! I wish Caprica had a chance to actually finish the whole story though

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

I quite enjoyed Battlestar Galactica. Never did get a chance to catch Caprica, though. With the pile of unwatched stuff I have, it could take a while before I could even consider it. Never would have thought, 15 or 20 years ago, that there was more quality TV programming of interest than I could make time for (not that I'm necessarily busier now, but more because the options are much greater today).

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Caprica was quite different than BSG, there was more of the politics and what lead up to the development of the Cylons and the start of the war and such. I liked it for the back story while a lot of people didn't particularly care for it. I loved it personally and I wish Netflix or someone would pick it up and finish it off.

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                          Caprica was quite different than BSG, there was more of the politics and what lead up to the development of the Cylons and the start of the war and such. I liked it for the back story while a lot of people didn't particularly care for it. I loved it personally and I wish Netflix or someone would pick it up and finish it off.
                                          That might prove an interesting thread unto itself.

Comment

• bostonmurf
                                            • Jul 2014

Is anyone watching Peaky Blinders. Im loving it at the moment, just started season 2. Its about a small gang from Birmingham UK trying to make a rise in power, its based after the first world war. well worth a view and its on netflix.
                                            Last edited by bostonmurf; 14 October 2014, 21:28 Tuesday.

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

Have to add True Detectives to the list of best shows I've seen in the past six months. Fantastic programme, with outstanding performances from the two leads, especially Matthew McConaughey. Very atmospheric, a show that takes its time to develop its main characters. The pace might prove trying for anyone looking for an adrenaline rush but is very rewarding to those who like to savour their shows like a fine wine or a multi-course meal. Well worth a viewing. Looking forward to season 2 (new cast and setting, as it is conceived as an anthology show).

Comment

• madmac
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2010

Have to add True Detectives to the list of best shows I've seen in the past six months. Fantastic programme, with outstanding performances from the two leads, especially Matthew McConaughey. Very atmospheric, a show that takes its time to develop its main characters. The pace might prove trying for anyone looking for an adrenaline rush but is very rewarding to those who like to savour their shows like a fine wine or a multi-course meal. Well worth a viewing. Looking forward to season 2 (new cast and setting, as it is conceived as an anthology show).
                                                Sounds very good! I'm gonna' keep my eye out for this one on DVD.
                                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• chrisn
                                                  • Sep 2007

Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I borrowed the first 5 seasons of BBT and watched them in a couple weeks. Only seen the first two seasons of Breaking Bad.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Jan 2006

I've caught parts of Modern Family when others are watching it , and Sons Of Anarchy. My PC is my TV and if I'm on the 'puter I'm either learning things or playing flight simulator games.

I just glanced at the mini-bio under my avatar. Wow. Thumper and I have been hanging around here for 9 years this January. Seems like yesterday. Good company has that effect.
                                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                                    Marantz CD5005
                                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"