X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Revisiting old favourites

I've been going through the Star Wars films with my 8 year old son in the past little while. I've always been a rather casual fan (I didn't even own the films until May) and I'd only seen the prequels once each at the cinema (a few snippets of demo material in A/V stores aside) and the original trilogy twice each at the cinema (when first released and when re-released in the late 90s) and a couple of times on VHS. Hadn't watched any Star Wars since I saw Revenge of the Sith at the cinema.

I have to admit, they're more fun now than I found them originally, because I'm also watching my son's reactions as he discovers them (except the first one--I was 10 when I saw it, so I had a similar outlook on life that my son has today). At the same time, if I put on the "critical viewer" hat, I have to say they don't have that strong a hold on me--even the one I always thought was the best of the six, The Empire Strikes Back, is a fair bit clunkier than I remembered.

So, my question to all y'all (practicing for my upcoming trip to the Deep South next month ):

How often, if ever, do you revisit old favourites and do those old favourites stand up to repeat viewings?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I used to more than I do now...heck we don't have time to watch all the new movies I want to see anymore.

I think if they're an old favourite they tend to stand up simply because we love them. We're more inclined to look past their (sometimes glaring) faults or what now appear to be archaic/cartoonish special effects etc because we love the story/characters.
    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I go back to old favorites more than I buy new stuff.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I recently rented the original, remastered Star Trek TV series on DVD and was still impressed and very entertained by them. It's all in the writing folks....not the special effects!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Roger Rabbit still lots of fun

Prior to my late night viewing of The Raven (described in another thread) last night, I watched an old favourite of mine with the kids--Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Was as enjoyable as the first time I saw it (and the music sounded a lot better on my gear at home than at the cinema--some great tunes and musicianship). I also re-discovered that my rather inexpensive, entry level Sony BD player (model number S185) has a very rare feature--it can play back DVDs (if they're properly encoded--most are) in 1080p (that's not unusual)/24fps (that is highly unusual--most players will play back DVDs at native 480p/60 or upscale to 1080p/60 and then do the 3:2 pulldown). As I checked the OSD to see if we could finish the film before bedtime for my son (the player has no display on the unit), I saw it was sending a 1080p/24 signal to my PJ--something none of my other disc players (I have a fair number) can do. And it jogged my memory that I'd seen it do that last year (I usually watch DVDs in the living room rather than in the "man-cave", as the TV in the living room is an SDTV and rather good with DVDs). I did some quick comparisons between it and my other disc players--the 1080p/24 setting doesn't make DVDs into "as good as a BD", but they do make them more "film-like" in playback than those with 3:2 pulldown. Nice perk to have on a 50$ (open box) player.

Anyway, kids loved it (my son was especially enamoured with Roger Rabbit). They didn't quite get what a technical accomplishment the film was back in its day (too young to remember when that kind of animated/live action melding was a massive undertaking), but they enjoyed the stuff aimed at them (while I enjoyed the double-entendre phrases that weren't). The late Bob Hoskins was great in this movie.

Worth re-visiting (and I won't be waiting quite so long again between visits).

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Watched another old favourite yesterday (hard to believe I first saw it 25 years ago) with my wife and kids (old favourite to me, entirely new to them). Field of Dreams. Feels like a quintessential American story (because it is)--focused on baseball, the Sixties as lived by the Berkeley crowd, centred on a farm in Iowa. You'd never guess it was based on a novel written by a Canadian. I've read the book (worth a read) and we really enjoyed the movie. Typically categorized as fantasy (and understandably so), I think it would better fit into a category that seems more common in Latin American cinema (if I recall the film studies text I read 13 or so years ago correctly): magical realism. Realism because it doesn't involve wizards, elves, ogres and the like. Magical because, well...it has a considerable dose of impossibility (disembodied voices, ghosts--of real people, visions).

A family-friendly, feel-good movie. If anyone remains unsure, I recommend reading Roger Ebert's review of it (he gave it four stars, his highest recommendation), as he grasps and expresses why the movie works better than any other review I've read.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I watched an old favorite last night: High Noon. This is probably the best western ever made. I can't recall how many times I've watched it.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

An excellent choice. I assigned an essay in a History of the "Wild West" class I once taught that asked students to compare the messages in High Noon and Rio Bravo. Together, they represent a fine example of popular culture appropriating nearly identical historical imagery in order to promote diametrically opposed political philosophies--subtexts that usually escape the more casual viewer (not because he can't understand them, but because he's not looking for them) and which can be ignored, in each case, without affecting the enjoyment of viewing them. In other words: no matter which side of a political fence you find yourself, both High Noon and Rio Bravo are entertaining westerns.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                  An excellent choice. I assigned an essay in a History of the "Wild West" class I once taught that asked students to compare the messages in High Noon and Rio Bravo. Together, they represent a fine example of popular culture appropriating nearly identical historical imagery in order to promote diametrically opposed political philosophies--subtexts that usually escape the more casual viewer (not because he can't understand them, but because he's not looking for them) and which can be ignored, in each case, without affecting the enjoyment of viewing them. In other words: no matter which side of a political fence you find yourself, both High Noon and Rio Bravo are entertaining westerns.
                  Yes, High Noon created quite a storm. Some felt it was communist and anti-American. Lloyd Bridges, due to his association with the makers of High Noon was blacklisted and couldn't get work for a long time.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Went back to an old favourite last night with the family (again, old favourite for me, new to them). The Nutty Professor (the original with Jerry Lewis). I am an unabashed Jerry Lewis fan--have been since I was 6 or so, watching his movies (with and without Dean) with my dad (probably our "French blood" :lol: ). The Nutty Professor is among my favourites (cinematically, his best work overall, but some of his other films have more "laugh out loud moments" that were perhaps more appealing to a child--The Disorderly Orderly comes to mind). The 50th anniversary Blu-ray looks fantastic. It had been a while since I'd watched this movie, and I'd never had the chance to do so on anything bigger than a 25 inch regular TV. Last night, with the projector and in a fully restored hi-def edition, the colours popped in a way I'm sure the cinematographer intended.

Whether one is a fan of Lewis or not, his contributions on the technical side of film-making have likely contributed to better production values on many films that would otherwise have no association with Lewis.

In any event, if you're a fan, the BD is well-worth getting (I got the fully loaded box set for Father's Day). If you are unfamiliar with his work, no finer example to sample his work (besides, everyone should watch at least one Jerry Lewis movie--might as well be his best).

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- for a guaranteed laugh, this one always delivers for me. Although following the time honored Hollywood remake tradition, (the basic plot line and characters were borrowed from an earlier film), Frank Oz did a great job directing this one -- the production values were superb, writing was clever and the actors effectively delivered the lines making an implausible situation believable -- and fun to watch. Steve Martin and Michael Caine are superb as Riviera con men, but Glenne Headly steals the show (and a lot more) as Janet Colgate, the American soap queen whom the con men turn into the object of a bet. If you've already seen it, you'll know why I enjoy repeat showings; if you've never had the pleasure, then rent or buy this one to enjoy an evening of laughs.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                        Dirty Rotten Scoundrels -- for a guaranteed laugh, this one always delivers for me. Although following the time honored Hollywood remake tradition, (the basic plot line and characters were borrowed from an earlier film), Frank Oz did a great job directing this one -- the production values were superb, writing was clever and the actors effectively delivered the lines making an implausible situation believable -- and fun to watch. Steve Martin and Michael Caine are superb as Riviera con men, but Glenne Headly steals the show (and a lot more) as Janet Colgate, the American soap queen whom the con men turn into the object of a bet. If you've already seen it, you'll know why I enjoy repeat showings; if you've never had the pleasure, then rent or buy this one to enjoy an evening of laughs.
                        I concur entirely. Well worth repeat viewings.

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Revisited two old favourites last night and tonight. Quite different in tone from one another (Galaxy Quest and Dead Poets Society). Each has held up nicely (I liked each one better than at first viewing and liked each quite a bit the first time around).

I'm thinking of choosing a western for my next "old favourite". I've just recently acquired the Criterion Blu-ray of Red River, Stagecoach and 3:10 to Yuma.

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

As Dan says (a few posts up), you can't beat a good story

I find myself re-revisiting the same classics (I've been watching since childhood) over and over, especially now many have been re-digitised and put on Blu-Ray - love the revised picture quality, and 24fps. I keep (personal) copies of my favourite movies on USB sticks, so I can easily "pop one in" on a wet Sunday afternoon.

It occurs to me, I could say the same thing about music! I'm still listening to the same stuff I was in my teens - just now it's digital, and the samples/bit depth has increased. That's progress I suppose!
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Last night, in honor of Frank Sinatra's 99th ( had he lived ) birthday, I watched an old favorite, The Detective.

Paul, I take it that the Criterion is the original b&w 3:10 To Yuma. I don't have the Criterion of this, or the others you mentioned, but I do have them on dvd and I can't remember how many times I've watched them.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Yes, it is the original (I have the remake on Blu-ray as well--I like them both).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

(I have the remake on Blu-ray as well--I like them both).
                                  Same here.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

"Casablanca" (1942)

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it more than ever.

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Ah yes. I'm a bit overdue for my annual viewing (usually watch this in November, for some reason).

Comment

• P-Dub
                                        Office Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Well, my friend's kids just discovered Star Wars, the original trilogy, and they want to be jedi's when they grow up! They are ages 8 and 5 and they have some light sabers already! Also they play watch me force push the door close.
                                        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                          Office Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Hmm, I may have to find a copy of Team America to view.
                                          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• bigburner
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Paul Wu
                                            Hmm, I may have to find a copy of Team America to view.
                                            Here's a taste Paul...

Here's Kim Jong-il's life story summed up into a two minute video, brought to you by Team America: World Police.

Nigel.

Comment

• mjb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Better watch it quick before it gets taken down!
                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Watched The Party with a buddy of mine a few nights ago. Hadn't seen it in about ten years, so I'd forgotten a number of scenes. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. If laughter is the best medicine then I'll be the healthiest man around for at least a month. Like all comedy, always more effective if viewed with others. So gather some friends and prepare to bust a gut.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

"A Clockwork Orange" (1971)

I watched this Stanley Kubrick directed film two nights ago. The last time I watched it was in 1972. It's a futuristic, satirical fantasy laced with sex and violence. It was controversial when it was released in 1971. It was banned in some countries if I remember correctly.

Is it a good film? I'm still deciding, but I do recommend that you watch it if you get the chance.

Nigel.
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

Watched The Party with a buddy of mine a few nights ago. Hadn't seen it in about ten years, so I'd forgotten a number of scenes. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. If laughter is the best medicine then I'll be the healthiest man around for at least a month. Like all comedy, always more effective if viewed with others. So gather some friends and prepare to bust a gut.
                                                    I've been saying 'birdie num nums' all my adult life.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

I definitely periodically revisit my old favorites, as time allows. I get a kick out of revisiting films that I've enjoyed in the past, and remembering why I liked them the first time.
                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                        "A Clockwork Orange" (1971)

I watched this Stanley Kubrick directed film two nights ago. The last time I watched it was in 1972. It's a futuristic, satirical fantasy laced with sex and violence. It was controversial when it was released in 1971. It was banned in some countries if I remember correctly.

Is it a good film? I'm still deciding, but I do recommend that you watch it if you get the chance.

Nigel.
                                                        It has been almost that long since I saw it.
                                                        As you said, V controversial for the era.

On an audio note: it made a certain turn table quite famous.
                                                        Anybody else besides me remember which one?
                                                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

Don't know about the TT. Saw this the first time my first year at university. Was my first Kubrick. I own almost all his movies so I guess I like it.

Haven't seen it since I picked it up on HD DVD back in 07, IIRC. Should give it another viewing soon.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2004

Not technically a re-visit, but it is somewhat old and has joined my list of favourites--Little Big Man. Not a typical western but one deserving of a wide audience. Made in 1970, it was a significant break with its genre and also stands as a fine example of late 60s to very early 80s American cinema: a style that stands apart from the more classic films of the 30s through 50s just as surely as it stands apart from today's fare.

Highly recommended, though probably not to all tastes. Still, Dustin Hoffman is great and Chief Dan George certainly deserved his Oscar nod. The DVD didn't win accolades for PQ but my Oppo BDP-83 made it look far better than expected. I'll certainly be revisiting this regularly.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Oh my gosh, was that really made in 1970? I can remember enjoying that as a kid in the 80's.

I'm breaking out Three Amigos.
                                                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

--Little Big Man----- Made in 1970---- a style that stands apart from the more classic films of the 30s through 50s just as surely as it stands apart from today's fare.
                                                                One of the 1st films to give a realistic depiction of racist attitudes towards & the near genocide of Native Americans, it broke new ground on many fronts as it spurred continued discussion of civil rights for all Americans.

Recommended for those of the more recent generations.
                                                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                                  One of the 1st films to give a realistic depiction of racist attitudes towards & the near genocide of Native Americans, it broke new ground on many fronts as it spurred continued discussion of civil rights for all Americans.

Recommended for those of the more recent generations.
                                                                  You've summarized quite clearly why it resides on the list of films among which my students choose for their final assignment in my Native American History and Culture course (one I've recently taken on). No other group of people has had its identity and reputation more heavily distorted and influenced by cinema than Amerindians, so a significant part of my course explores film and its effects on people's perceptions of Anerindians through time. Anyone interested in a glimpse of how Amerindians feel about their portrayals on film should watch Reel Injun, a documentary that explores this issue quite well (I screen it for my students). Anyone who's interested in an in-depth look into this phenomenon, let me know. I can recommend at least a dozen books (so far--way more than that available but I can only read so much at a time).

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"