X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Of the two movies I saw last weekend, this was by far the best. I think it holds up as a stand alone in addition to being a nice continuation of the franchise.

This movie has some great action and I know I'll be buying it to add to my collection. I liked how they brought a bit of both the future X-Men into the cast from First Class. The main thrust of the movie is all about the Sentinels and how they come about.

It's strange how much I can say about a crappy movie, but find it difficult to explain why I really like this one.

Pacing, great, acting, great, plot, really, really good. See, I'm at a lost for words. This was such a pleasure to watch from beginning to end. Go out and see it on the big screen if you can.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Saw this last week. I quite enjoyed it (even glimpsed a few Montreal landmarks--film was made here, mostly). Looking forward to where they take the story next.

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Just saw it this past weekend. Probably my favorite of the whole series so far. I thought it was extremely well done. Plenty of fast paced action, but also drama, suspense, and a splash of comedy. The scene showing Quicksliver's point of view was one of my favorite scenes in a movie in the past several years. I was nearly crying laughing. It was so creative.

I also really enjoyed the overall plot of the movie, and how this really was the extinction of the mutants if their mission failed. The helplessness of the mutants against the Sentinels was very swaying and somewhat emotional. To see the power of mutants like Xavier and Magneto just be tossed aside like nothing was awesome, and to combine that with the back and forth past to future where Magneto is showing his amazing power moving the baseball stadium, then flash to the future and he's literally helpless against the Sentinels. Very cool.

Also I like that this was another "reboot". Now everyone is alive again and they have the freedom to really explore.

Another interesting thing is, I forgot Quicksilver's name, and in IMDBing it, I noticed he is in the future Avengers movie. I haven't taken the time to look, but I'd bet there's a huge crossover of characters coming. Should be interesting to see it play out.

Oh and one more aspect I really liked, seeing how they tied the X-Men's powers while fighting, working together. They'd dabbled in this in past movies, but not to this level. Very cool.
      -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

IIRC, the use of Quicksilver in each franchise necessitated A LOT of negotiations for rights (Disney/Marvel would dearly like to get the rights back to X-Men and their ancillaries, but Fox is adamant about keeping them). I doubt we'll see any mega crossovers anytime soon (though it would be interesting).

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Yeah I looked at the casts more and didn't see any other crossover characters, and it wasn't even the same actor. Lame.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by impala454
            Yeah I looked at the casts more and didn't see any other crossover characters, and it wasn't even the same actor. Lame.
            Well, as to the same actor, the Quicksilver we saw in the X-Men movie was in the early 70s, while the Avengers are set today. Even allowing for comic book style time compression, it's over 40 years apart--much like Xavier, Magneto and even Mystique are played by two actors across time periods. It could still be the same character (unless he's young in the Avengers--haven't looked). But even this concession is a huge deal for rival studios, though, of course, fans and viewers would like to see many more such crossovers (I'd love to see Spider-Man join the Avengers, even if unofficially, in a movie--won't happen while Sony/Columbia hold the rights to Spidey, though).

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Yeah, I suppose we should be happy/shocked that as many characters have joined together as we have already.
              -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

I liked it. Not the best of those various categories, IMHO, but overall well done.

As for the best comic book film ever, I think I might have to go with one of Nolan's Batmans.

Here's hoping Avengers 2 is good. Could get rather cosmic with Ultron. I generally don't like movies that get wayyyyyyyyyy out there in cosmic stuff--Thor was too much for me in Asgard and other worlds.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Just watched Avengers Ultron. liked it. Yeah, kinda cool how there's a crossover there with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being Magento's kids.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the end of Ultron. and this doesn't quite seems like a spoiler that would require tags... are the original Avengers going their own ways, with these new characters replacing them? Or is it more an augmentation kind of thing?

I was rather surprised... this is the first movie I think I liked that had any of the Olsen kids in it. (Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch, the Olsen twin's younger sister)
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"