X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Ready for the $50 movie ticket?

Recently, Steven Spielberg confirmed the rumour that his 12-time Oscar nominated Lincoln was this-close to becoming a TV movie for HBO because no studio would fund the film for theatrical release.

The public admission was met with a sense of communal exhale within the film industry. At last, the truth on what has been going on for at least a decade. If Spielberg is having such problems, I can promise you absolutely everybody else is too.

In terms of profitability, this is how the movie-math works. You take Lincoln’s $65 million production budget and multiply it by 2.5. Thus, $162.5 million is what it would take to make the film profitable for its North American theatrical release including its advertising costs which are usually safely as much as the total production cost, and paying theatre exhibitors their slim cut, too.

Always keep an eye on foreign box office performance, however. This is where the game-changing money lies as some films deemed under-performers in North America recoup their losses and sometimes become global hits because of all of the revenue outside of North America.

That is why passing final judgment on a film based on how well it does in North America is futile. This summer’s “under-performer,” The Hangover 3 did 68 per cent of its box office outside North America ($235 million) for a global total of $346 million … and counting. I wish I could under-perform like that, too!

By 2017, China will become the world’s most important film market in terms of attendance. That being said, the locusts of power still remain in North America and that is not changing. If you have noticed the trend of including more international stars in blockbuster films (Pacific Rim, Red 2), this is no accident as they are instrumental in supporting foreign market appeal.

So, how is the industry planning on keeping box office sales up, considering multi-platform options that exist well outside the movie theatre?

Well, Paramount offered filmgoers a $50 ticket for World War Z, Brad Pitt’s zombie flick where you got to see the film two days prior to release, got commemorative 3D glasses, a film poster, a digital copy of the film upon home release and, heck, even a small popcorn too.

Overall? You are paying $50 to be an opinion leader and that is where the value is here and what could possibly make Paramount’s venture a recurring model.

In consumer research, it’s sound theory that people who view themselves and who are viewed as opinion leaders will make decisions around consumption experiences that confirm this identity.

If you want to be “in the know” and have the bragging rights of having done everything first, you will pay for it. This is smart on Paramount’s part. My concerns outside of getting opinion leaders to cough up big bucks are, nonetheless, substantial. When all was counted, Paramount made $60,000 on five $50 ticket screenings. Small potatoes.

The opinion leaders came out. Everyone else waited 2 days until the film could be seen for one-fifth of the price. Second, the value proposition here is weak. A poster, a small(!) popcorn and 3D glasses? Really? What about that digital copy of the film?

Nice idea but what if I dislike the film? I’ve paid $50 to pre-purchase a film I didn’t like and I can now hang its poster on my wall to remind me of the $50 I wish I could get back?

The thinking behind selling consumers the digital copy of the film, as well as the movie-theatre ticket, is bundling the sale of the film on two different platforms at once. This is done to counter declining home-video sales. By banking revenue for home video at the theatrical release stage, distributors are mitigating risk and guaranteeing future earned revenue.

Could a $50 ticket work not just for a blockbuster but also for a film like, well, Lincoln? In a word: yes, and possibly the fit is even better. Older, higher-income audiences with greater disposable income. That being said, we don’t want to ride that slippery slope and then get painted as having films be only for “upscale” audiences. God forbid no one goes to see Grown Ups 2.

My deepest concern, however, with the $50 ticket is that it eventually becomes more and more common, and will eventually replace our current $10 ticket. We are already offered premium tickets in upscale theatres where food, beverage and seating options are far enhanced (more on this another time).

Do I think the $50 ticket will become the norm overnight? No, I don’t. Moreover, the industry should be warned about the consequences of such a pricing strategy. By making all films a premium, top dollar experience, you are killing your volume and, eventually, your profitability will be irreconcilably hurt by lack of attendance.

A major weapon in the film industry’s arsenal — what absolutely made it the signature art-form of the 20th century — is ease of accessibility to films.

Going to a film, for the most part, can be a casual, relatively unplanned or spur-of-the-moment experience. Going to the movies can be an everyday, commonplace experience. No need to save up for months, book well ahead, travel great distances or make sure we have all sorts of other hospitality plans built around making the film a whole “event”.

We don’t want to become the live theatre industry or the concert industry where a major barrier to success is the perception that participation requires a lot of planning in advance and making “an event” out of each participation.

This is directly tied to the price-point involved. Because film-going is casual and relatively cheap, it can be a regular, off-the-cuff experience. When you ask a movie “fan” how many films they see “in-theatre” per year, I promise you this likely triples how many plays, musicals or concerts a theatre or music “fan” sees in a year.

The mass-consumption and casualness of the experience ingrain film-going into our collective, recurring pop-culture. Thus, we need to be careful in and around the $50 ticket.

I don’t trust anyone associated to a “small” popcorn, anyways …
    Personally I think it would be helpful to their bottom line if Hollywood figured out how to make interesting and original movies again...
    Jason
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yup.

If they go to $50 tickets, I'm not going to go see ANY movies anymore. Why do that, when I can buy the BD for $20-30 6 months later?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Well to be fair that one time they were talking about offering that it was going to include a copy of the movie, and a bunch of extra stuff so it wasn't just to go see a movie.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Personally I think it would be helpful to their bottom line if Hollywood figured out how to make interesting and original movies again...[/QUOTE]

Oh,yeah. Right on, Jason.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

For $50 I can get the cheap seats at Heinz Hall in Pgh.

Let us see now.............

........$50 to see world renowned performers, musicians & the classics, all live & in one of the best halls in America.........

.......or $50 to suffer through intellectually insulting & useless drivel...??????

Yeah.......tough choice there......NOT!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

No way I'd pay $50 for a movie ticket. $100 for two? Ridiculous. We could go eat at a really nice restaurant and then hit redbox on the way home.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

But what would we do if Hollywood imploded? How would we function as a society, if actors weren't around to tell us how to live our personal lives, what candidates to vote for, how to run the political system, how to look and act? What would movie pirates around the world do? How many paparazzi would go out of work by having so many fewer people to stalk and photograph? What would we possibly do once a year when the Academy Awards happen, and we are supposed to gush over how awesome the Hollywood elite are?

I think our world would end! I'm going to go curl up in a fetal position and pray the doomsday passes...
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

It both astonishes me and irritates me that they don't seem to want to look inward at the quality of product they offer as part of the problem.

Granted, part of that is also the public's dumbed-down taste for entertainment. Both of those issues ARE connected.
                Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

For $50, I'll start charging $20 at my home theater and make some money! ha ha.

They will loose ticket sales like crazy if they do that... I know I'd probably not go see another movie for a LONG LONG while.

In the long run though... they have created this through their own "business models." You flood the markets with whatever's popular instead of keeping with what has worked all these years and this is what you get. You "dumb down" things because people can more easily relate...this is what you get. You keep making sequels to movies and eventually wonder why people don't go and give you tons of money.... the well eventually dries up and this is what you get. You start paying people CRAZY amounts of money (even IF they are worth it) and don't keep enough back to support future projects... this is what you get.

To me...I see the same problems with Hollywood as I see with the U.S. Political system.... Too much of the same.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
                    To me...I see the same problems with Hollywood as I see with the U.S. Political system.... Too much of the same.
                    They're both basically corporations run by fat cats... makes sense.
                    Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

None of the studios was originally willing to fund Spielberg's Lincoln.
                      He was considering getting HBO or one of the cable channels to make it.

If Spielberg can not get $ for a movie who the hell can?

The studios are making more from the international distribution.
                      Profits in the US are pittance compared to the revenue generated by the same movie in India & China.
                      Those markets love the trash being made now.
                      They think all of America looks just like the Fast & Furious!

And Hi Ho, Silver!....It will make a fortune oversees!
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by aud19
                        It both astonishes me and irritates me that they don't seem to want to look inward at the quality of product they offer as part of the problem.

Granted, part of that is also the public's dumbed-down taste for entertainment. Both of those issues ARE connected.
                        I think this is way more than just part of the problem. I think it's 95% of the problem. If people didn't pay billions to watch movies they'd change the movies. It's like a social outing moreso than a movie watching. I mean, how many people even care what the movie is about? This is why you have annoying people playing on phones and such during movies, because it's just a social event. Same with baseball games and half a dozen other forms of entertainment nowadays. Sure you have the people like us here who really care, but the vast majority simply don't. This is why nothing will change.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Dmantis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2004

Going to the movies is a wonderful experience. the Prices right now are already very high. It's a very expensive night out if you take a family of 4 and buy stuff at the concession stand. If movie tickets go up to $50 bucks , I will not be going to the movies often or might not be at all. I simply can't afford to bring the family out for a few hundred bucks or more. I'd rather do something else.

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

I think some people missed part of the message though. This isn't talking about upping all normal movie ticket prices to $50. It's about paying $50 for exclusive sneak previews + digital copy + other perks. I highly doubt your standard movie ticket prices will go that high.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I agree Chuck and was thinking the exact same thing? I think people got hung up on the title of the thread and didn't read the whole article or something?

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I don't see the problem with 25.00 movie tickets and $100.00 popcorn. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. LOL.

I read something about this not long ago, the industry is getting very tough to be profitable on many films, and this gets to be a funding issue. It does get a lot harder for them to secure funding for projects.

I tend to enjoy movies at home as far as if it's just for me. If I WAS to have a date, then sure, I would spring for a movie out. But going out to the movies by myself, is just not something I normally will do.

I like 14.99 or 9.99 for films. Thank goodness the early adopter DVD and BD prices didn't hold up of 30-40.00. Forget that business.
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Lex
                                  I read something about this not long ago, the industry is getting very tough to be profitable on many films, and this gets to be a funding issue.
                                  Really? I thought they were still making money hand over fist. Maybe some of the garbage films out there aren't very profitable, but that's good, maybe it'll deter them from making them.
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

You do have a point there, so much crap out there. That's why I don't even consider buying a film unless it gets awesome press among my peers, and has quality actors in it. I bought the new Borne film. I have to say, it's a good film, but I thought the amount of actual plot line and material covered was extremely thin. I paid 14.99 for the film, or was it 9.99. I can't recall. I would not have paid 20 or more for it based on the pr it got, but it's a fun action flick for 10-15 bucks even if a bit thin on real script meat. I was originally against any Borne film not staring Matt Damon. Honestly, I felt it was his series. But I guess t hey made that work ok. Off subject, sorry...
                                    Doug

Comment

• Dmantis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jun 2004

My Blu ray purchases over the last few years is at a all time low. I probably picked up maybe 5 to 6 movies since last year and I usually pick up at least 12 to 15 per year.
                                      I gotta agree with the crap comment , If they want to make money , sell us a good product and we will buy it. I'm all for a great movie as most people.

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

I read an article relevant to the difficulties some films can encounter paying out. Johnny Depp's latest film, Lone Ranger, he thought was a blockbuster, critics nailed it before it even came out apaprently, and he says they killed it. I'm not totally convinced, but he could be right. I have not seen film. I think it only grossed 85 million, and needed to gross 250 to cover costs!!! So, it's considered a flop, and it's a loss for some studio. That's a pretty dang big loss. I guess Depp doesn't make as much either, possibly?

Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

Yeah, critics can definitely kill a movie! A lot of times their opinions aren't even quite with the general audience as well! They seem to be overly negative about almost all movies.

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

I still blame that on the studio for not doing their homework. A few critics opinions shouldn't be the difference in making tens of millions or losing tens of millions. Your movie sucks if it can't withstand that.
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Apr 2001

I am going to take the political high road and say you both could be right to some extent. Maybe the studio didn't promote it enough too? I mean you spend 250 million on something you sort of have to see that investment through! Generally though, I was just presenting the case, I felt it was interesting since it matched our discussion, and why this studio could take a lot longer look at the next film in front of them. That's a true fact.
                                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"