X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Gravity" in 3D

Went to see this film last night with my daughter. Let me get straight to the point here....... This movie MUST be seen in 3D!. It's the soul purpose and reason for the film and it's creation. The plot is somewhat thin and if Bullock is an astronaut, then I'm a brain surgeon!. Clooney is somewhat more believable as one.

However, after sitting close to the screen and seeing this in 3D, I honestly feel like I've been to outer space and in orbit!!. Folks, this is the best 3D movie presentation I've ever seen!. It is visually STUNNING!!. I can only imagine seeing this on an IMAX screen!!.....OH MY!!.

My daughter was somewhat disappointed with the abrupt ending but....I was less so. The purpose of the film was over at that point. Go to see this for the visuals and enjoy. The story line is just a second thought.

8/10 stars for the "WOW" experience!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

No opinions on this??......anyone??

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I haven't seen it yet. Many of my NASA coworkers had accuracy issues with it (although what film doesn't have that?). That kinda stuff doesn't really bother me too much in small doses (unlike Armageddon). I'd like to go see it before it's gone from 3D.
      -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I'm not a fan of 3D so I'm waiting for this to come to Blu-ray. It will likely end up in my collection.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I have been hearing the same thing, go see this in 3D as this is one of the experiences that is a must see.

I was planning to skip this one, but with the various comments on the 3D work, I may be changing my mind.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I thought we had another discussion about this movie somewhere. I've heard some very good things, but still just hasn't motivated me enough to actually go to a theater for this one. (it takes a lot nowadays) I'll absolutely rent it when out.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• alebonau
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by madmac
              Went to see this film last night with my daughter. Let me get straight to the point here....... This movie MUST be seen in 3D!. It's the soul purpose and reason for the film and it's creation. The plot is somewhat thin and if Bullock is an astronaut, then I'm a brain surgeon!. Clooney is somewhat more believable as one.

However, after sitting close to the screen and seeing this in 3D, I honestly feel like I've been to outer space and in orbit!!. Folks, this is the best 3D movie presentation I've ever seen!. It is visually STUNNING!!. I can only imagine seeing this on an IMAX screen!!.....OH MY!!.

My daughter was somewhat disappointed with the abrupt ending but....I was less so. The purpose of the film was over at that point. Go to see this for the visuals and enjoy. The story line is just a second thought.

8/10 stars for the "WOW" experience!.

awesome ! thanks for the headsup. cant wait till released on bluray and watching on the 3D projector
              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Folks!! As I said in my initial review......this movie is ALL about 3D!. It's honestly the SOLE purpose of the film. There is NO POINT to see this on Blu Ray or in 2D or 3D on a TV. ZERO!!. The plot is not that good nor is the acting. It's only the WOW effect of the 3D presentation on a big screen that matters here. Think of it like an IMAX style 'going into space' kinda' documentary presentation. The whole point of this movie would be lost on a TV....and......you'll walk away big time disappointed.

Example....at one point Bullock cries in the space capsule and the tears float from her face and towards yours!!.....SPLAT!!.. You realize what your in for at the beginning when the balls fall on the floor and shoot out over your head. All the 3D films I've seen to date were animated but this one truly displays what modern 3D is capable of. Very impressive!.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Going to see this tonight at a real IMAX 15/70 cinema (not the IMAX-lite cinemas that have cropped up like mushrooms). Looking forward to it.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                    Going to see this tonight at a real IMAX 15/70 cinema (not the IMAX-lite cinemas that have cropped up like mushrooms). Looking forward to it.
                    Please let me know how you liked it??. Imax eh???.......WOW !!

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Outstanding moviegoing experience. The visuals were breathtaking, the sound design was fantastic and, while I'm not normally a fan of 3-D, this was an excellent use of it. A lot of subtle "arguments" in the imagery and story that might not stand out on an initial viewing (interesting enough to view this again at home at some point--I read about some of those ideas in reviews after watching the film as I had deliberately avoided spoilers or reviews beforehand). I have to disagree about the story and performances being lacking--I found each appropriate to the film's ambitions and Bullock does a very good job carrying the film. Neither she nor Clooney hit a false note in their naturalistic approaches. As to the "inaccuracies"--yes they are present. But they are neither intrusive nor outrageous (in just about any film, "realism" is sacrificed for dramatic purposes--and that's as it should be for a feature film [documentaries are another matter]).

I have a pretty good system at home (I've probably poured about 8000-9000$ into my home cinema gear--not the be all and end all, but more than just a TV/Soundbar combo) and I rarely feel the need to go to the cinema anymore (when I do it's usually a social thing, rather than "I must see this at the cinema"), but occasionally there are films that are released that are worth the effort. This is definitely one of them if you have a high quality cinema nearby.

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                        Outstanding moviegoing experience. The visuals were breathtaking, the sound design was fantastic and, while I'm not normally a fan of 3-D, this was an excellent use of it. A lot of subtle "arguments" in the imagery and story that might not stand out on an initial viewing (interesting enough to view this again at home at some point--I read about some of those ideas in reviews after watching the film as I had deliberately avoided spoilers or reviews beforehand). I have to disagree about the story and performances being lacking--I found each appropriate to the film's ambitions and Bullock does a very good job carrying the film. Neither she nor Clooney hit a false note in their naturalistic approaches. As to the "inaccuracies"--yes they are present. But they are neither intrusive nor outrageous (in just about any film, "realism" is sacrificed for dramatic purposes--and that's as it should be for a feature film [documentaries are another matter]).

I have a pretty good system at home (I've probably poured about 8000-9000$ into my home cinema gear--not the be all and end all, but more than just a TV/Soundbar combo) and I rarely feel the need to go to the cinema anymore (when I do it's usually a social thing, rather than "I must see this at the cinema"), but occasionally there are films that are released that are worth the effort. This is definitely one of them if you have a high quality cinema nearby.
                        Exactly what I thought you would say......in IMAX........"Outstanding movie experience" !!!. Basically, you've been to space!

Comment

• David G
                          • Jan 2005

Will definitely see this next week despite the irritating presence of Sandra Bullock.

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Folks!! As I said in my initial review......this movie is ALL about 3D!. It's honestly the SOLE purpose of the film. There is NO POINT to see this on Blu Ray or in 2D or 3D on a TV. ZERO!!. The plot is not that good nor is the acting. It's only the WOW effect of the 3D presentation on a big screen that matters here. Think of it like an IMAX style 'going into space' kinda' documentary presentation. The whole point of this movie would be lost on a TV....and......you'll walk away big time disappointed.

Example....at one point Bullock cries in the space capsule and the tears float from her face and towards yours!!.....SPLAT!!.. You realize what your in for at the beginning when the balls fall on the floor and shoot out over your head. All the 3D films I've seen to date were animated but this one truly displays what modern 3D is capable of. Very impressive!.
                            sorry I don't understand why shouldn't watch this on blu-ray. I have a full projector setup that meets THX spec for immersion. and is pretty awesome for what 3D movies on blu-ray that I have watched. I wouldn't be watching it on a TV but on a big screen ! very much looking forward to it on blu-ray !

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by alebonau
                              sorry I don't understand why shouldn't watch this on blu-ray. I have a full projector setup that meets THX spec for immersion. and is pretty awesome for what 3D movies on blu-ray that I have watched. I wouldn't be watching it on a TV but on a big screen ! very much looking forward to it on blu-ray !
                              In your case, you should be fine with a large projector in a nice THX sound presentation. However, on your basic 50-60 inch flat panel TV, the WOW factor of this film would be seriously compromised.

Comment

• alebonau
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

In your case, you should be fine with a large projector in a nice THX sound presentation. However, on your basic 50-60 inch flat panel TV, the WOW factor of this film would be seriously compromised.
                                thanks yes understand the comment re 50-60" screen. with my pj setup I particularly made sure screen choice & viewing distance/angle wise with regards immersion and the thx spec. agree re 3D and smaller screens it can leave a bit artificial looking. however on a larger screen 3D really places the experience in the room. with the imax undersea shot stuff on blu-ray for instance my little daughter runs around trying to catch the fish swimming around in the room !

looking forward to gravity in 3D !

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

WOWWWWWWWWW! Just rented and watched this on BD. Very intense, impressive movie. I don't have a 3D display, so I was watching this in 2D. I was worried at first, that several things seemed to be shot to be "gimmicks" of 3D shots, namely the bolt that is unscrewed right at the beginning and floats straight to the camera. This is one of the prime problems I have with directors using 3D, that they put things in that seem to have no other purpose than, "Hey, look what I can do with 3D! Neato, huh?" That's not refined cinema. Those are cheap tricks.

Well, put that behind you, because my concerns were quickly assuaged. The film rapidly got intense and furious, FAR more than just "experiments in 3D". I was hooked through most the film by the story, the action, the tension and fear. While the plot is rather fantastical, I did not feel that it was ludicrous. As a pilot and operator myself, I could feel the tension involved in a real-time life-threatening crisis that develops in a very limited resource, confined setting. It can be terrifying.

The cinematography is stunning. Finding out later that it was all CGI was amazing. The shot that pulls the camera in through Bullock's helmet, to show her POV, and then again pulls back out, is amazing in both "camera" work and sound design. Acting I thought was very good. I was very concerned about Bullock and her role, but I thought it played well. She didn't try to portray a polished, experienced astronaut. Her character was a trained doctor that was really along to do science work, (this happened on shuttle missions - remember that Christa Macauliffe was onboard as a teacher, not a professional astronaut) and she appropriately shows panic and fragility, before growing over the course of the film. I don't know what Oscars this film won--while I don't think Sandra quite earned a Best Actress by this work, she did well, and I think this film deserved any other number of Oscar considerations it was put up for.

If you're going to watch this, do it RIGHT. Don't you dare say "eh... I'll Netflix stream it, because I don't care anymore about quality, and it should be good enough". Or, "bah... I'll just watch this on my iPad." This film was made to push the limits of every facet of theater technology, and if you compromise, you'll just be missing out. We all can only use whatever setup we actually own, of course. (I don't have 3D, which would have added to it) But there are deep, pure blacks of space. Rich, vivid color. Fine, intricate detail showing off 1080p. (or higher!) Motion that needs high refresh rates to preserve resolution. Highly detailed lossless surround sound that not only needs 7.1 or more, but every speaker in the setup should be sonically matched--sounds and voices whirl around the audience, and it would be most distracting and disappointing to have those sounds change as they move from one tiny, cheap speaker to a large, quality one. The subwoofer(s)... oh, yeah. When the announcement first came in from Houston Control about the incoming debris, music and bass, both audible and sub-sonic, hits BIG, and I was hearing sound from my double subs that I have never heard before, from ANY other movie!!! There are also sub-sonic shakes that exceed the performance of many subs, but really add to the film and scenes' tension. If you have tactile transducers, they'll just enhance the experience even more.

Thank GOD filmmakers are making high-quality stuff now that we can actually use in home theater!!!

I even watched the Special Features on the BD, which are VERY interesting about the CGI, photography, robot arms used (note: these are the same type of cutting-edge robots being raved about in the latest Harry Potter ride in Universal Studios), sound and music construction, etc. On a related note, where did these filmmakers come from? Wow.

Fantastic movie, and I'll be buying the mega-pack BD of this one for sure. Could be a top demo disc to add to the theater demo line-up. :45: out of :5:
                                  Last edited by Chris D; 04 March 2014, 19:57 Tuesday.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Knew you'd feel this way, Chris. I'll be watching my copy many times in the future.
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

BTW, The Wife & I actually went to the theater to see this.
                                      Something we rarely do these days.

It so happens that it was an IMAX theater.
                                      We have never been to an IMAX & this was only the 2nd movie we have ever seen in 3D

[Sidebar: truth being we were held hostage by the grandchildren, the ransom paid was in the form of the 'The Yogi Bear' (in 3D) movie. A nightmarish event that has left us both with deep & lasting emotional scars. The therapy is helping...but just a little]

Anyway, we really had no clue of what lay in store for us.
                                      From the standpoint of the visual & sonic impact…..
                                      We were simply blown away.

As Chris so well described, there was no hokey gimmickry, no 3D shots made purely to remind you that your watching a 3D movie. We were drawn totally into the world created by the makers of this film……it was as close to stepping through the looking glass as I have experienced.

I also agree with Chris regarding the plot & acting.
                                      No matter how you slice it, this was a good film.

The IMAX theater tickets were $28 US for the pair.
                                      A sum that to this old coot seems absurd when taken in the light of the fact that i used to be able to take a date to nice dinner & a movie for the same cost.
                                      But in all honesty, we both felt we got our $'s worth.
                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

I recommend a steady diet of picnic lunches to help you over your trauma. :lol:

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                          BTW, The Wife & I actually went to the theater to see this.
                                          Something we rarely do these days.

It so happens that it was an IMAX theater.
                                          We have never been to an IMAX & this was only the 2nd movie we have ever seen in 3D

[Sidebar: truth being we were held hostage by the grandchildren, the ransom paid was in the form of the 'The Yogi Bear' (in 3D) movie. A nightmarish event that has left us both with deep & lasting emotional scars. The therapy is helping...but just a little]

Anyway, we really had no clue of what lay in store for us.
                                          From the standpoint of the visual & sonic impact…..
                                          We were simply blown away.

As Chris so well described, there was no hokey gimmickry, no 3D shots made purely to remind you that your watching a 3D movie. We were drawn totally into the world created by the makers of this film……it was as close to stepping through the looking glass as I have experienced.

I also agree with Chris regarding the plot & acting.
                                          No matter how you slice it, this was a good film.

The IMAX theater tickets were $28 US for the pair.
                                          A sum that to this old coot seems absurd when taken in the light of the fact that i used to be able to take a date to nice dinner & a movie for the same cost.
                                          But in all honesty, we both felt we got our $'s worth.

Bahahaha!!!!.........YOGI BEAR!!!????..........Oh my!!!......that could take years of therapy!!.

You saw the film the way I wished to see it........In an Imax theater!. I saw it on the normal big screen in 3D and was blown away. On Imax, the whole effect of being in space and seeing the Earth in 3D below must have been breathtaking!. However, I still contend that Bullock and Clooney were inserted into this film to sell tickets to it......Period!. The 3D effects and the breathtaking cinematography is what this film is all about in the end. Again, I cannot stress enough that everyone should see this on a big screen AND....in 3D. It's a benchmark for 3D technology.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Since I now have 3D in my theater, I took the opportunity to buy Gravity in the 3D mega-pack. WOW. This movie is intense as it is, and the 3D just augments the visual intensity. Gravity also has just been released with Dolby Atmos, but you have to choose between either Atmos or 3D, because both aren't available together. I don't have the full Atmos setup yet, and between the two, 3D seemed like it would augment the experience more, so I bought the 3D pack. Great purchase, since this movie was a must-buy eventually for me anyway. Good stuff. :T
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"