X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

August Rush

Just saw this tonight on the recommendation of relatives. It's the dramatic fictional story of an "orphan", growing up, who believes that his parents are still out there and looking for him. The story centers on music, including how his parents met and fell in love, how they were torn apart, the gifts they gave to him in instinct, and how he pursues his dream/parents.

Now, granted, there are big portions of this movie that are sappy, and must suspend belief. Just TOO coincidental, or TOO dramatic. Also, some scenes of musical performances that are not accurate. (playing a piano, with right hand striking keys further and further right, but the notes getting lower and lower)

So the movie takes some big chances, but seems to just "go for broke" and goes all-out with the story, bringing things to a big conclusion. Not entirely believable, not entirely accurate, but a good feel-good movie. For those who really appreciate music and composition, I think this movie gets some extra kudos, similar to how I thought of "Mr. Holland's Opus". Some decent performances from actors like Robin Williams, the boy from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", and Terence Howard. Me, I thought Williams' character's appearance was straight from mid-90's Bono. And I kept wanting to say, "Run, Forrest, Run!" when looking at the black priest. (from Gump)

There were times I was thinking of a low rating, some scenes made me want to give it a high rating. I'll settle in at :4: out of :5: and give it a good recommendation, especially for those who appreciate musical composition, (even considering inaccuracies) as long as you're willing to suspend some belief.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Yeah we saw this a while back and it is quite a bit cheesy but definitely a feel good sort of movie. All in all wasn't bad at all I'd probably watch it again if I had nothing new to watch.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"